Desktop amp (w/ or w/o DAC ok) for Beyerdynamic T5p
Oct 10, 2011 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

GoSUV

100+ Head-Fier
I bought the Beyerdynamic T5p a month ago to use in the office. I love the Beyer sound, and would have gotten a T1 if it weren't semi-open, I know the T5p is "portable" but I need my 'phones to be closed. For real portable use I use my Shure SE530's with the Graham Slee Voyager. Now that I've got the T5p, I want to setup a desktop system for office use. In terms of my source, I use the iPad2 with the Camera Connector to output a digital signal, going into a Pico USB DAC (no amp).

Here comes my question. The GS Voyager is a good amp when paired with IEMs, but according to some people's opinion, the T5p should be driven by a real desktop amp to deliver its true potential. I know the T5p is supposed to be "portable" with only 32 ohms of impedance and "easy to drive". I find that if I use the Voyager with the Pico USB DAC combo, they are a little too bright. I guess I am looking for a good synergy with these 'phones paired with a desktop system. I don't need a DAC since I've got the Pico, but if a good amp+DAC combo matches well with the T5p, I can always sell the Pico.

Since this will be used in an office environment, I'd prefer SS over tubes, and size not too big to avoid pesty curiosity from co-workers. My music preference is pop, soft-rock, jazz and classical (in that order).

Anyone with the T5p to offer some advice and your experience with different amps? Are portable amps really not that powerful for a supposed 32ohm, "easy-to-drive" 'phone?

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 14
t5p is not exactly a popular headphones here.  for ss amp, i like meier and rudistor.  harmony ear isn't too bad neither.  see what your budget allows you. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
t5p is not exactly a popular headphones here.  for ss amp, i like meier and rudistor.  harmony ear isn't too bad neither.  see what your budget allows you. 

The new Meier JAZZ has my attention, however none of the local dealers here have it yet. I can order it online, but it doesn't have the convenience and protection of using credit cards. My budget can be extended to $1,000 (that's HK$7,800?), so a few more candidates are within my range. I'm especially interested in the Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear (what a mouthful) due to its "British sound" (whatever that means), Meier JAZZ or CLASSIC, Lehmann BCL, Musical Fidelity M1-HPA, Burson Audio HA-160 etc. I'm looking for more synergy with the amp, since the T5p can be a little bass-shy. Although I'm not a basshead, I'd like my bass to be tight and accurate.

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
The new Meier JAZZ has my attention, however none of the local dealers here have it yet. I can order it online, but it doesn't have the convenience and protection of using credit cards. My budget can be extended to $1,000 (that's HK$7,800?), so a few more candidates are within my range. I'm especially interested in the Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear (what a mouthful) due to its "British sound" (whatever that means), Meier JAZZ or CLASSIC, Lehmann BCL, Musical Fidelity M1-HPA, Burson Audio HA-160 etc. I'm looking for more synergy with the amp, since the T5p can be a little bass-shy. Although I'm not a basshead, I'd like my bass to be tight and accurate.

I have the Burson HA160 to drive my 600-ohm Beyer (not T5p though), and this combo is very nice with rock music (as most of the time I listen to classic rock to nu metal stuff). I'm sure the Burson will drive your T5p easily. If you're planning to hook your computer as your source, you can try HA160D, or the newly released HA160DS http://bursonaudio.com/HA_160DS.html, you may even get a special introductory price from Burson if you get one of these now :wink:

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 14
i never really understand burson, especially with beyers.  it sound ok with grado i guess? i do like meier head five(an old amp now), harmony ear 90(for t5p only, not higher impedance beyer) and rudistor.  i thought there are few places that you can try them all.  kingsound, jaben for example. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks I didn't know about Jaben. Have only been living in Hong Kong for 2 years. I will go check them out.

The new Burson HA-160DS does sound very interesting in terms of function and being the right size - I don't need all that preamp features and analog inputs, just the USB and coax will do, plus a good amp section. However I worry that it may not pair well with the T5p, as the T5p is a completely different animal to the T1 for practical purposes, even though they are alleged to share the same driver and technology. Also, rock music is not my main preference.

I like neutral amps that are quick and musical, but given the particular characteristics of the T5p, I will avoid ones that are overly analytical and bright.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 14
I ended up getting the BeyDy T5P's and now all the parts everyone talks about made perfect sense. I made the right choice. The T5p can run on an ipod w/o an amp and sound good. I have them connected to my Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi wh/ has a built in amp and these things can get pumped with sound. The 600amp driver makes good headphones sound like i'm in my amp'd car. The T5p look great sound incredible.

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #12 of 14
  ...I use the iPad2 with the Camera Connector to output a digital signal, going into a Pico USB DAC (no amp).

Depending on which model of the Pico DAC you have,
it's technically a DAC-HPamp (or not even; is there even an alternate one with no amp?), so there's an amp built into its circuit sharing its battery. Sure, not exactly a Meier or Violectric with a huge power supply and bank of capacitors around it, but it's not a plain line out or an integrated audio chip with tiny power caps (like, wrist watch battery size) sharing a battery power source with a processor and large screen (as on a smartphone).

Anyone with the T5p to offer some advice and your experience with different amps? Are portable amps really not that powerful for a supposed 32ohm, "easy-to-drive" 'phone?

Tried one with my Meier Cantate before and that amp was bordering on overkill considering the slightly better isolation (vs my open back HD600), how much power it spits out at 32ohms (vs 300ohms for my HD600), and its very high efficiency (higher than even my HD600).

A really good portable amp (note that doesn't mean blowing a load of cash on one) would do well enough (ex Ibasso PB2, or D14), but if anything would make me tell you to veer off from a portable, it would be due to battery wear. That battery will likely fail a heck of a lot sooner than anything on a decent desktop design, and barring the O2 and RA1 (and other CMOY desktop units that use 2x9v batteries) which can use 9v batteries, might be hard to replace. And even then it's up to you on whether you want to deal with a dedicated charger on older portable amps or the 9v powered ones, since they need to have their own power brick (although you can get Energizer rechargeable kits and have at least two sets of batteries on hand) vs DAC-HPamps the newer portable amps that use USB to recharge. And then in the end, barring the easily replaceable 9v powered units, replacing these batteries can be a PITA, unless you're in the US and can easily ship an RSA amp back home for example (vs shipping an Ibasso back to China/HK).

If you just want a compact desktop amp these aren't that hard to find. There's the Pangea HP101 which is now $50 on Amazon (i use it on my HD600 and the performance is superb for the price), but the USB DAC drivers are problematic on Win 7 (haven't tried it on Win10 as I'm on an Ultrabook now with 256gb of storage running only Spotify; the HP101 is on my main rig while my Meier is out of commission). If you'll use the Pico with it then it's not a problem. 

Alternately, there's the Meier Corda Rock or Schiit Vali2 if you want something from a more trusted name.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm getting a Schiit Lyr 2 with Tungsram PCC88 tubes (platinum) next month! I'll tell you all about when I get those. Kinda wish to tame the highs a little bit and make the midrange more pronounced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back