Describing sound question
Dec 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
I keep my DT770/80 around for gaming and for those times when I have to let my little son use headphones because... well... because Dad is using headphones to listen to music.

I remember when I first purchased the DT770/80 about 4 years or so ago (1st headphone purchased after doing any sort of research) and I remember that they were eye-opening for me.  I decided to give them a try for music tonight just for fun, even though I have headphones that I like a lot better now.

I started listening to them and they sounded good.  Then, I started to doubt myself - as in, "These things are pretty good.  Why in the world did I buy these other headphones?"  So, I grabbed my Denon D2000s to listen to in the hopes I'd remember why I spent more money on the other 4 full-sized cans I own.  At first, I didn't notice a major difference, but the more I went back and forth, I started to notice something.  The DT770/80s sounded... I don't know... "muddy"?  I don't quite know how to explain this.  Explaining it as recessed mids didn't seem quite right.  "Muddy" was a nice adjective, but what was driving the muddiness?  The only thing I could think of is that the higher bass frequencies are a bit too jacked up, and instead of blending in nicely with the mids, they overwhelmed things and muddied things up - kind of like a boisterous and talkative person can mess up a conversation held by 5 other people by just being him/herself.

How do you describe that phenomenon?  When I say the DT770/80 are "muddy" sounding relative to the D2000, does that make any sense?

It isn't just enough to say that the DT770/80 has more bass than the D2000 - it does at some freqs, but it does not sound as though it does at others.  Maybe in sections of the spectrum where it does have more bass, it goes overboard and ends up messing up adjacent frequencies to my ears.

Hey, kind of a rambling post, but I thought I'd throw this out there just to get a conversation started.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 2
If you are having trouble describing sound, check out this audio word guide:

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back