Describing Sound - A Glossary
Feb 7, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #136 of 235
Warm vs. Bright... what do you mean by this dynamic of "fundamentals" and "harmonics"?

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #137 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. Soundstage – how well you can “hear the space” of the music. A soundstage can be evaluated along five major categories. The first three are spatial:
-Width of soundstage (how wide does the space feel, how much does sound placement appear to vary within that width?)
-Height of soundstage (how high does the space feel, and how much does sound placement appear to vary within that width?)
-Depth of soundstage (how deep does the space feel, and how much does sound placement appear to vary within that width?)
The next is related to clarity
-How good is the “separation,” that is, how well does the setup present individual instruments or singers as having their own individual spaces rather than melding into one?
And the last is the feeling of “airiness” – a really great, well-presented soundstage will give you not only a sense of size of the space but also a feel for the air in that space so that you really feel like you’re there.

4. What is the overall “feel” of the sound? This can be evaluated along a spectrum from “warm” or “dark” (generally meaning the bass is a little stronger and more enveloping – this can also mean that some detail/clarity is sacrificed in order to achieve a more “relaxed” sound) to “bright” (generally meaning that trebles tend to be emphasized at the expense of bass – this can also mean that the sound is very detailed and clear rather than relaxed).

5. Where do you feel like you’re sitting while listening to the music? The presentation can either be very “forward” (i.e. the performer appears to be right up in your face) or more “removed.”

6. What sort of “texture” does the music give off? This is somewhat related to the feel of the sound – the texture can be either “analytical” (you can hear a lot of the details of the sound, but this is sacrificing the feel to some extent) or “lush” (you can really feel the texture of the instruments, but this might sacrifice some level of detail).

Generally pretty good but I'd like to make a few observations.

3. Height. Height is not a controlable factor and is not a consideration when mixing music. In other words it doesn't really exist. If you are hearing height in your cans this is just a fluke of the interactions of phase characteristics.

4. Warm and Dark are slightly different. Warm is having slightly over balanced mid-lows and not too much brightness. Dark usually means a very minor scale feel with filtered high freqs.

5. When an instrument in the mix feels "in your face" the correct term is presence.

6. Texture usually refers to the complexity of the orchestration.

G

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #139 of 235
Could we have a definition for saturation?

xx

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #142 of 235
May 22, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #147 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by pikoli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does it mean, that cans are lifeless, boring?

I can better describe what it they are not.
Some headphones makes your feet tapping to the rhythm, your head shaking and your hands playing the air guitar.
Or/ and you get a sense of involvement.
Those headphones are not liveless/ boring.

May 25, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #148 of 235
When I am describing a sound, it depends of my mood, how my soul receives the music, its message along with all details which brings me that priceless pleasure of listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back