Describing Sound - A Glossary
Jun 1, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #151 of 235
I use quite a different definition of musicality, I think. For me, musicality means "mind-melding" with the musicians. That is, sensing clearly their intentions. Sensing that they are having fun. Or sensing the emotion they are putting into the music.

Musicality also connects to dance. A musical component, such as my Naim CD5X, evokes proprioceptive sensations of dancy movement, and a good component will especially evoke elegant movement.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #152 of 235
thank you for making this post. most informative thread Ive seen aside from the Stax 4 year review for Headstage and Soundstage by DarthNut. This is perfect for understanding some of the lingo that otherwise is up in the air and different from speaker talk. THANKS!

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #155 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can better describe what it they are not.
Some headphones makes your feet tapping to the rhythm, your head shaking and your hands playing the air guitar.
Or/ and you get a sense of involvement.
Those headphones are not liveless/ boring.

Note that sometimes,a neutral,balanced headphone may sound boring and lifeless because of the synergy with amp-source,cables or because of the mixing of the recording or because of your mood,your physical condition(you may be tired)or simply because you don't like a headphone's sound signature.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #156 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note that sometimes,a neutral,balanced headphone may sound boring and lifeless because of the synergy with amp-source,cables or because of the mixing of the recording or because of your mood,your physical condition(you may be tired)or simply because you don't like a headphone's sound signature.

Very true. Agree completely
smile_phones.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #158 of 235
Really great job guys!! Now I've seen this term floating around on a few occasions. Would anyone care to comment on what the term "hotness" imply. As in, a 'hot midrange'?

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #159 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the list of terms for frequency ranges, I wouldn't take it as gospel, although as a rough guide for the uninitiated, it's useful.

It's true.

I found it impossible to determine the authoritative frequency ranges for the descriptions. The definitions I could find varied significantly.

And, I'm glad people still find this useful.

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #162 of 235
Audio Terms for the Less Informed:
PART I: THE LETTER 'A'

Aggressive - Forward and bright sonic character.
Example: Bob's hearing loss was due to his aggressive headphones. His hair loss was due to his aggressive wife.

Airy - Spacious. Open. Good reproduction of high frequency reflections. High frequency response extends to 15 or 20 kHz.
Example: As Grandma sat listening to the Grateful Dead, she yelled, "Jesus, this headroom is airy!"

Ambience - Impression of an acoustic space, such as the performing hall in which a recording was made.
Example: The Journey album, Frontiers, has all the ambience of a rock concert in the men's room.

Analytical - Highly detailed.
Example: These Ety's are so analytical, I can hear the drummer fart.

Articulate - Intelligibility of voice(s) and instruments and the interactions between them.
Example: These headphones are so articulate, you can hear Milli from Vanilli.

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #164 of 235
Can someone explain to me the difference between bass extension and bass impact?
thanks

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #165 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone explain to me the difference between bass extension and bass impact?
thanks

IMO extension is how low it goes. The ability to reveal the lowest of the low notes.
Impact is how hard it hits. The fullness, loudness of the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back