Describing Sound - A Glossary
Jul 2, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #107 of 235
I like your definition of "Sturdy", and I can follow what you mean about "Texture" if I am listening to some music.
Have you ever read someone describing bass or low freq's as "Sub Terranean"?
Just wondering, it is good to have a list to refer to. Your efforts have been noticed by all.
Do you really have a GT-40? Sorry I had to ask.
Thanks,
Scott

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #108 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like your definition of "Sturdy", and I can follow what you mean about "Texture" if I am listening to some music.

Have you ever read someone describing bass or low freq's as "Sub Terranean"?
Just wondering, it is good to have a list to refer to.

It was easier to find a meaningful definition of texture as it relates to music and composition rather than as an audio descriptive term.

I have seen references to subterranean bass, but I'm not really sure why people call it that. As I'm sure we all know, subterranean means below the earths surface. So, people might be suggesting that the bass goes so low that it's underground? Or, perhaps it's just a cool and hip reference?

Maybe even there is some confusion about the prefix 'sub' simply meaning below. So we have bass, and then below that is sub-bass.

Honestly , I don't know, but it's not a term that I was able to find in any of the other audio glossaries.

Quote:

Your efforts have been noticed by all.

Thank you for your kind words. It is nice to know that people find it useful.

Quote:

Do you really have a GT-40? Sorry I had to ask.
Thanks,
Scott

I wish I did.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #109 of 235
I've seen subterranean used in terms of bass that sounds "underground". It's hard to explain. Imagine being in a cave. It's like...ambient sub-bass?

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #111 of 235
FordGTLover,
I like the cool and hip part about subb-terranian, I can "digg" it (BONUS), cause i'm a digger!(Double Bonus).

Meloncoly,
Love the Cave analogy, that is IT! I guess when we hear (feel) it we will know, won't we. Maybe like the Cave, it envelopes us!

Thanks Guys,
Scott

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #113 of 235
I'm not saying it should be added to the list, but I just got a Ck²III and listening to Denon 2k, and I think I gotta hint of what is meant by the bass having a "growl". I like. Want more. My fate is sealed.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #115 of 235
Often I see the word "hollow" as a description.
What does that mean?

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #116 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Often I see the word "hollow" as a description.
What does that mean?

I think that "hollow" is used to describe headphones with recessed mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back