Denon Officially Announces Its New Headphones!
Jul 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #766 of 903
I am dying to know about the AH-D600. I won't be buying them, but I hope they are like my current headphones (KRK 8400) but better so eventually they will be the next logical step to take. All I want is something that's neutral, reveals a disgusting amount of detail, and not as fidgety/adjustable (I feel like I am adjusting the KRKs a lot at times and it changing the sound too). *Fingers crossed that they are actually neutral like they say they are*

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #768 of 903
I was on the phone to a few Denon retailers yesterday. They promptly got back to me today saying the AH-D600 is available to order for £475 although the UK RRP may be as high as £500. According to a west London retailer stocks should arrive on friday. 

Was hoping for something around the £350 mark. With this new price tag i think i'll wait for a review and some comparisons before splashing out.

L3000.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #769 of 903
I really like the look of the Denon D600, and the feature set, but I'll wait for reviews and such. It's $100 more than any of my other possible choices, but I'd get it if it outclassed the other headphones I'm looking at. (PSB M4U 2, V-MODA M-100, DENON AH-D400)

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #770 of 903
Jul 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #771 of 903
I really like the look of the Denon D600, and the feature set, but I'll wait for reviews and such. It's $100 more than any of my other possible choices, but I'd get it if it outclassed the other headphones I'm looking at. (PSB M4U 2, V-MODA M-100, DENON AH-D400)

im in the same boat as you except i've added the mad dog t50rp to that list

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #772 of 903
Quote:
I was on the phone to a few Denon retailers yesterday. They promptly got back to me today saying the AH-D600 is available to order for £475 although the UK RRP may be as high as £500. According to a west London retailer stocks should arrive on friday. 

Was hoping for something around the £350 mark. With this new price tag i think i'll wait for a review and some comparisons before splashing out.

L3000.gif

Wow I was hoping for £250 or £300 at worst.... Looks like I will have to wait for these then :frowning2:

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #773 of 903
Quote:
im in the same boat as you except i've added the mad dog t50rp to that list

Just curious- what's the fuss over the Mad Dog?  After mod it is the same price as the M-100.  Isn't it just a pimped out $100 headphone?  If I have 60K to buy a car and buy a Hyundai for 20K and trick it out with an additional 40K to have every top part inside and out on the market OR buy a stock Audi, BMW or Lexus for the same price, I'll take the vehicle built with top quality start to finish without hesitation.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #775 of 903
Quote:
Just curious- what's the fuss over the Mad Dog?  After mod it is the same price as the M-100.  Isn't it just a pimped out $100 headphone?  If I have 60K to buy a car and buy a Hyundai for 20K and trick it out with an additional 40K to have every top part inside and out on the market OR buy a stock Audi, BMW or Lexus for the same price, I'll take the vehicle built with top quality start to finish without hesitation.

I think you just pissed off Head-Fi's entire modder community.

The short answer to your question is that it sounds better and has unbeatable value and is a testament to what one man can do on his own and make into a successful business.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #776 of 903

A well modded T50 is comparable to many (most) $1000 cans. Most who have tried it compared mine to the LCD-2, only it's a touch less bassy and a little more detailed.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #777 of 903
Quote:
A well modded T50 is comparable to many (most) $1000 cans. Most who have tried it compared mine to the LCD-2, only it's a touch less bassy and a little more detailed.

WOW, I really had no idea a modification could make that much difference.  Do they use the same drivers?  Any particular reason why Mr. Speakers chose the T50 to mod over other headphones?

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #778 of 903
Quote:
WOW, I really had no idea a modification could make that much difference.  Do they use the same drivers?  Any particular reason why Mr. Speakers chose the T50 to mod over other headphones?

The T50 drivers are unique to Fostex. Those drivers are literally like a Ferrari engine in a very inappropriate body with inadequate suspension, brakes, tires, etc. The potential is all there but only when the body (housing) is properly adjusted and built around the engine. There are no drivers in existence that I know of, that have such hidden potential for around $75.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #779 of 903
Quote:

I'm sorry...I really don't think that's a comparison. A well driven set of modded TP's still has at least a couple of glaring flaws (I own both, Smeggy TP1 and LCD-2s). The one horrible thing wrong with modded TP's is that they still suffer from rather odd and large amounts of harmonic distortion. Also, the onsets of the square waves indicate a far amount of ring...Now, if you're talking perceived detail (which usually arises from heightened treble), I understand, as there are higher treble levels on the TP.

But perhaps you should listen to the LCD-2s more closely (especially the rev. 2s). There is a ridiculous amount of micro-detail. The driver is able to render the image much more quickly and to arrest its motion must more suddenly, due to the dual-magnet  push-pull system and the HUGE driver surface area. This translates to quickness that renders small details like teacups clanging and the trailing edge of cymbal splashes amazingly well. I spent a few months exclusively with the TP1 and I must say that while I love the TPs for their value, at their best they fall at the bottom of hi-fi, or at the top of mid-fi, while the LCD-2 sits squarely in the middle of summit-fi.

If you'd like to say that there are better examples of TPs out there than smeggy TP1s, then yes, indeed there are (though very few indeed), but the performance specs just don't add up. The TP still distorts pretty wildly even under impeccable dampening...I mean, it's all a matter of taste, mind you, so I won't take that away from you, but a modded T50RP does not an LCD-2 make...

Kojaku

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #780 of 903
Sorry for the further derail here, but...

I've listened to the Thunderpants, and I have to say I like mine more, better balanced highs, not quite so forward mids. And the LCD-2s, well, to me they're one of the most overrated headphones in the hobby, but then cans that dark typically aren't my thing. I can pick out micro-detail, not just in the treble, more easily with my T50s than I can with a friend's LCD-2s, and I tired many amp/DAC combos. There really isn't a comparison there. People just like different things, and I just don't care for the sound signature of Audeze's gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back