Denon Officially Announces Its New Headphones!
May 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #16 of 903
Quote:
Dunno but I find D600 quite intriguing at that price and quite interested in hearing more about that one. It's gonna be hard to top or let alone match their old series in terms of sound quality though... rarely companies compete whit themselves which is how I see Denon doing in this case lol. 

I just can't see the logic behind this move to discontinue old Dx000 series and introduce THIS? Any1 ever saw/heard any logical explanations as I don't see which sane company would do something like this as the Dxxx series was highly popular.

I would say offering both would have been the best step, but my guess was it may not have been economically feasible (since it is such a small market).
I'm also willing to bet that these new headphones give Denon a larger profit margin.

May 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #17 of 903
Quote:

I would say offering both would have been the best step, but my guess was it may not have been economically feasible (since it is such a small market).
I'm also willing to bet that these new headphones give Denon a larger profit margin.

Yea well why not continue Dxxx series for another 5-10 years without introducing this new line as customers would not stop buying those anytime soon. The reaction this move has recieved tells me enough to not have to dive into sales figures to know at least the Dxxxx line is still very much popular, appriciated and praised and as long as you remain known as exceptionally good sound quality in their price segments (now talking closed headphone performance), they will sell.

May 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #18 of 903
Quote:
Dunno but I find D600 quite intriguing at that price and quite interested in hearing more about that one. It's gonna be hard to top or let alone match their old series in terms of sound quality though... rarely companies compete whit themselves which is how I see Denon doing in this case lol. 

I just can't see the logic behind this move to discontinue old Dx000 series and introduce THIS? Any1 ever saw/heard any logical explanations as I don't see which sane company would do something like this as the Dxxx series was highly popular and then introduce something that looks so much different than what you're used to see from them, I don't know but this is gambling in business at its best like doing an "all-in" in poker.

Yeah. At the very least, even if you exclude sound quality, the new Denon series of headphones look really ugly to me. The design doesn't look very coherent to me; maybe it might grow on me in time, but I doubt it'll remain a favorite, at least style wise.

I think I might just get a D2000 now before the price skyrockets.

May 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #19 of 903
I can't believe how much (!) I find Denon original, come on, plastic? That Wooden stuff was so mainstream. 

Lol jk, they look interesting if they have the Denon sound, and are okay for portability.

May 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #23 of 903
From a business and product management perspective, this makes perfect sense.

It's impossible to ignore the success of beats, with their marketing, even taking into account their appearance/price/likely high margins.
In a lesser vein, look at skullcandy, who has managed to capture a fair share of the market in no time at all.
Despite a strong loyal following, Denon as a business would be silly to not go after such a nice chunk of revenue, especially when current designs are already several years old.

Many people here are blasting the looks, but again, Denon is going after a new, larger market. Wherein this style of headphone has seen great success in bringing in cash. 
The current family could be considered moderate, compared to cans like beats/soul (new age/contemporary) and grado (vintage). At some point in time, even DX000 will look "vintage" with love it or hate it emotions.

just my 2 cents, as a product manager

May 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #24 of 903
but the d7000 look so much nicer!!!

these look very beats-esque to me, but with a higher price tag.

May 29, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #25 of 903
But not EVERY1 can compete with "fashion"/style either, if every1 does it, there's no market share left to grab. Denon did exceptionall well in its "premium" more classy stylish headphone concept and it doesn't make sense for a brand so well dug into this concept to make a 180 turn, some lesser brands it would make more sense for IMO, Denon however I wouldn't expect to be doing that though, as you can see it's not recieving quite nice feedback from its established fanbase, their targeted marketing crowd, what if they won't even managed to capture their new targeted crowd as they frankly don't have the experience of this kind of marketing and ask the average kid in the street about if they know Denon or not and it would be rather alarming experience not to mention the pricing of this lineup, traditionally the mainstream crowd maybe can buy up to $500 or so headphones, I don't expect many "mainstream" customers to go for this new D7100. Dunno by logical thinking this business move just seems way too risky for me.

Just saying there will always remain a market for the opposite of "mainstream" crowd too, for the audiophile too and the good thing with marketing towards this crowd is that it's exceptionally cheap, you just deliver the good stuff and the customers will do the marketing for you.

May 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #26 of 903
Quote:
From a business and product management perspective, this makes perfect sense.

It's impossible to ignore the success of beats, with their marketing, even taking into account their appearance/price/likely high margins.
In a lesser vein, look at skullcandy, who has managed to capture a fair share of the market in no time at all.
Despite a strong loyal following, Denon as a business would be silly to not go after such a nice chunk of revenue, especially when current designs are already several years old.

Many people here are blasting the looks, but again, Denon is going after a new, larger market. Wherein this style of headphone has seen great success in bringing in cash. 
The current family could be considered moderate, compared to cans like beats/soul (new age/contemporary) and grado (vintage). At some point in time, even DX000 will look "vintage" with love it or hate it emotions.

just my 2 cents, as a product manager

Did Beats get to where it is based on the design of its headphones or because of its marketing prowess and star power?

To be honest, if every other headphone manufacturer starts releasing headphones in the same design vein as Beats, it'll become trite and possibly unappealing. I believe Denon had a chance to create something wonderful but chose to follow the path of Beats in its design strategy. It might work, but for me, Denon has already started off on a negative. Still, sound quality is paramount, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nevertheless, as Dubstep Girl mentioned, the D7K looks so much nicer.

May 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #30 of 903
They can keep them...  I'll stick with my D5000's and keep an eye out for a pair of D7000's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back