Denon DN-HP700 Review and comparison to the AH-D7000
May 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #287 of 454
I'm thinking both bass and highs impacts on midrange warmness, recessed highrange which usually results in softer/smoother sounding highs also tends to warm up midrange as if they are boosted in the highs it becomes the opposite, cold, bright. But yea especially midbass to lower mid-range forwardness + recessed/rolled-off highs tribute to warm sounding midrange. Usually warm midrange means less clear midrange compared to a bright/cold headphone but the warm midrange is nicely and forward with a "fullbodied" sound to it, opposite of thin or hollow.

I wouldn't put HP700 neither as cold or warm sounding, it's quite neutral, well if comparing both Q40 and HP700 which are both reasonably close to "neutral" (in-between) in terms of warm or cold sounding the HP700 is ever so slightly on the bright/cold side due to the slight peak in highs and Q40 ever so slightly on the warm side of neutral due to somewhat rolled-off & softer sounding highs. Since I personally very slight warm sounding rather than slightly cold/bright, Q40 fits better for my taste.

May 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #288 of 454
Quote:
Hey, fearless1, how do you compare the DT990 PRO's to these? Just curious.

It is like comparing apples to orages. The Dt990 is an open, comfortable headphone that has a very wide sound stage( with proper amping)  and the 700 is a closed can. The bass on the 990 is very well done for being open, it reaches low and grabs you with much more impact then the 700. The 700 has a better mid range and softer treble then the  990. As far as sound stage there is no comparison the 990 is very expansive. I always say when it comes to the 990 you either love or hate the sound signature it but it sure is fun. I often reach for mine when watching a movie or gaming.

May 14, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #290 of 454
Just got my Q40's, listening them with DT770 pads.

Holy crap. These are the most bassy cans I've tried by far. With HE-500/KH-K1000/HP700 etc I usually need to boost bass atleast 3-6dB. But Q40's with zero eq are kind of too bassy already, I feel it masks some mids a bit or they are just recessed. Feels like I'm in a teenage car with subwoofers. 
wink.gif
Not quite sure yet if I like it. It's quite forward in your face bass, I think I prefer loud but more smooth..

Sinegen feels like they start rolling off after 40hz already and some frequency charts seem to agree. Still much better air movage at even 20hz than HP700.

Clamp is pretty hard. Very hard in fact, it's bothering me. Probably some stretching helps.

Overall for clarity I'd choose HP700 over Q40 easily, unless you really truly want some hard bassage. 
biggrin.gif
I don't know if I even want to sell my KH-K1000's right now, since I have a new appreciation for what they achieve as closed cans..

edit: In case someone reads only this post: these impressions were with DT770 pads!! See my comment with original pads below..

May 14, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #291 of 454
Mids are fairly similarly forward to HP700 to me but it depends on what amp used, the Q40 responds well to amping, avoid using a warm sounding amp, a more aggressive/forward sounding amp pairs nicely with Q40 (on the cheap, E11 is probably a good fit). With ZO2.3 amp for example it's overall slightly too smooth and the mids not as "forward / in-your-face" as I optimally prefer and it becomes slightly boring and disengaging to listen to but with ZO2.1 it sounds exactly like I prefer it to with very in your face and clear mids together with a thumpy bass response.

Then again I can't speak for Beyer DT770 pads but I'm sure the depth of the pads will impact on how it sounds a bit too, maybe with too deep pads the mids start sounding distant which was the case when trying to deepen the pads with HP700. I'm using the stock pads on my Q40 but I stuffed a half piece of papertowel underneath both those shallow stock pads to make it at least slightly deeper so it would fit better without my ears touching the "foam ring" around the drivers.

May 14, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #292 of 454
You are probably right. I jumped directly to Beyer pads since *ahem* someone had ripped the original pad fabric off covering the driver.. so ears could touch the metal.

Switched to original pads and used the Beyer fabric.. indeed the mids come back now that ears are touching the driver. And bass tamed a bit. There was no change in the uncomfort factor really. It eases the clamp very slightly since there's more touching area and not just the pads. Of course now ears will start hurting sooner from the contact..

edit: I find the sound quality actually pretty good right now.

May 14, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #293 of 454
Quote:
You are probably right. I jumped directly to Beyer pads since *ahem* someone had ripped the original pad fabric off covering the driver.. so ears could touch the metal.

Switched to original pads and used the Beyer fabric.. indeed the mids come back now that ears are touching the driver. And bass tamed a bit. There was no change in the uncomfort factor really. It eases the clamp very slightly since there's more touching area and not just the pads. Of course now ears will start hurting sooner from the contact..

edit: I find the sound quality actually pretty good right now.

Well you could always try adding a little bit depth to the stock pads... I found it helping with soundstage and instrument separation without making mids sound distant, the depth needs to be something in-between beyer pads and stock unmodded pads for best result IMO. For me a half piece of kitchen papertowel rolled into a 1cm wide tube and stuffed underneath the stock pads per side worked excellent:

Despite the obvious clamping, they are suprisingly comfortable to me, they even made me appriciate the clamping force as it doesn't cause any discomfort to me, it just feels like they sit very securely on my head. I can wear it all day long without any signs of discomfort, the HP700 certainly was more uncomfortable to me and that one I could feel when wearing it and may had to adjust it slightly every now and then, Q40 never causes any noticable discomfort to me.

May 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #294 of 454
Just got some Sennheiser HD598's as I always wanted to test them, and they have absolutely no comparison to the DENON HP700. It's a night and day difference. I'm going to return them tomorrow. TOTAL lack of bass and the little they have lacks definition, the HP700 have 10x more bass and the definition/texture is stunning. The HP700 have better treble (more refined and sparkly), better mids, superior micro-detail, MUCH better instrument separation (especially modded), and is this how soundstage sounds like on an open can? bleehh... It's no better than the HP700 soundstage, especially after mod. The HP700 are so much more immersive, so much more engaging and so much more high-quality sounding...! This headphone from Sennheiser, priced at 165€, is a total disappointment, especially when you get used to a phone of other league like the HP700, that cost the same (159€ in the EU), which is a STEAL for what they offer. My search is over, if I ever want to find anything better than the HP700 I will have to go for the Kenwood KH-1000's (eventually), or Hifiman HE-400. Anything else below 250€-300€ just forget. This phone plays on the Premier League.

May 16, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #295 of 454
Quote:
Just got some Sennheiser HD598's as I always wanted to test them, and they have absolutely no comparison to the DENON HP700. It's a night and day difference. I'm going to return them tomorrow. TOTAL lack of bass and the little they have lacks definition, the HP700 have 10x more bass and the definition/texture is stunning. The HP700 have better treble (more refined and sparkly), better mids, superior micro-detail, MUCH better instrument separation (especially modded), and is this how soundstage sounds like on an open can? bleehh... It's no better than the HP700 soundstage, especially after mod. The HP700 are so much more immersive, so much more engaging and so much more high-quality sounding...! This headphone from Sennheiser, priced at 165€, is a total disappointment, especially when you get used to a phone of other league like the HP700, that cost the same (159€ in the EU), which is a STEAL for what they offer. My search is over, if I ever want to find anything better than the HP700 I will have to go for the Kenwood KH-1000's (eventually), or Hifiman HE-400. Anything else below 250€-300€ just forget. This phone plays on the Premier League.

lol. with your sound preference I would NEVER have tried those senns. 
i'm really curious what your thoughts on the hp700s would be though if you got your hands on those he400s or an actual d5k/d7k with more than sufficient power.

currently my decision stands. i'm returning the hp700s and trying the q40s. the hp700 subbass and comfort isn't doing it for me though everything else is just right.

May 16, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #296 of 454
I wouldn't do that man, thats a downgrade, unless all that matters for you is sub-bass. They have no comparison in terms of resolution, micro-detail, clarity/transparency, treble sparkle, etc (at least with the stock cable - which I don't believe it's the issue, but...)

Concerning the Sennheisers, what a mistake... (I got no words). And theres people that prefer these over the HD650. lol. Shows how good the HD650's must be. :D I have auditioned them, but it was a long time ago, can't really compare them now with the HP700, even because my sound sig was not the same on those times.

I got to tell you: have auditioned some Konig Onstage NRG300 DJ yesterday and they have the best bass/sub-bass I've heard in all my life. TWICE the impact of the Q40's, great speed, amazing definition (the bass), incredible dynamics, I have never heard anything like that. And the sound sig is pretty much like the Q40's with somewhat rolled-off highs (but more sparkly - actually the quality of the treble is very good), but I would choose the Konig's hands down. 69€.  lol. ; ) Almost bought them and am still thinking if I'm not going to get them today. :p That bass is freakin amazing. Just forget the Q40's in terms of bass/sub-bass compared to them. And no, it's not Monster Beats by Dr. Dre. :D  They have quality, they have emphasys on clarity, the only flaw for me are a bit rolled-off highs (but good quality/detail), but they give MUCH more fun than the Q40's. Still thinking if those highs wouldn't arise after serious burn-in and who knows some mod. I've noticed they have a huge thick foam between the drivers and the pads (easily removable), which is completely unnecessary and highs must increase immediately after removing that.

And equally interesting: they have removable cable. Just bought them and plugged in the large cable of the ZO (I don't use it) and the difference in SQ is noticeable. Never thought a much better cable could indeed make such a difference. Now I nunderstand RPG and his better cable on the Q40's. That stock cable sucks. But that won't give the Q40's THIS bass. Just forget it, no way. ; ) And they have 0 burn-in. Oh, and the removable of those thick foams in front of the drivers does a hell of a difference in clarity.

These are the best cans I've heard next to the HP700. They don't have the micro-detail of the Denons, they're warmer, but have MUCH more sub-bass and impact. For FUN this is the real deal..

May 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #297 of 454
I both hate you and love you, now I probably MUST try Konig Onstage NRG300 DJs, a warmer HP700 sounds perfect to me haha. I'm perfectly satisfied with Q40, the only thing I can feel I might want have a improvement in would be soundstage and ever so slightly more forward lower-mids, other than that I think Q40 with the cable I use are really quite up there with HP700, at least close enough for me to easily take the bass response of Q40 over HP700's very slightly better microdetail.

So you concider the soundstage reasonably good on those Konig? Looks like they are circumaural and not on-ear right? Bigger inner circumference compared to HP700?

Even the NRG200 looks rather interesting (specwise it's funny cuz it says 3 - 33000 Hz on one page and 5 - 30000 Hz on another, I know specs doesn't say much but still interesting as NRG300 is specced to not go that low).

http://www.konigelectronic.com/en_us/sound-light/dj-gear/55839441

Anyway I can find the NRG300 for around 50~65 EUR throughout europe, in Finland cheapest is 56 EUR or so. I somehow have a very hard time believing a headphone of such an unknown manufacturer for this cost can sound that great...

May 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #298 of 454
Haha miow, your enthusiasm is commendable.
biggrin.gif

Who knows, there are so many cheap phones out there that no one tests. You could even be right. Maybe it's something new like the Superluxes or HTF600 that no one has found yet.
wink.gif
I'm going to wait for other impressions though, maybe RPGWiZaRD is interested in trying it out. I doubt it's possible to get more bass quantity than Q40 without affecting mids/highs, but I'd sure to like to hear even cheaper phone with little less rolloff below 40hz and more clarity/soundstage..

May 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #299 of 454
Quote:
I wouldn't do that man, thats a downgrade, unless all that matters for you is sub-bass. They have no comparison in terms of resolution, micro-detail, clarity/transparency, treble sparkle, etc (at least with the stock cable - which I don't believe it's the issue, but...)

Concerning the Sennheisers, what a mistake... (I got no words). And theres people that prefer these over the HD650. lol. Shows how good the HD650's must be. :D I have auditioned them, but it was a long time ago, can't really compare them now with the HP700, even because my sound sig was not the same on those times.

I got to tell you: have auditioned some Konig Onstage NRG300 DJ yesterday and they have the best bass/sub-bass I've heard in all my life. TWICE the impact of the Q40's, great speed, amazing definition (the bass), incredible dynamics, I have never heard anything like that. And the sound sig is pretty much like the Q40's with somewhat rolled-off highs (but more sparkly - actually the quality of the treble is very good), but I would choose the Konig's hands down. 69€.  lol. ; ) Almost bought them and am still thinking if I'm not going to get them today. :p That bass is freakin amazing. Just forget the Q40's in terms of bass/sub-bass compared to them. And no, it's not Monster Beats by Dr. Dre. :D  They have quality, they have emphasys on clarity, the only flaw for me are a bit rolled-off highs (but good quality/detail), but they give MUCH more fun than the Q40's. Still thinking if those highs wouldn't arise after serious burn-in and who knows some mod. I've noticed they have a huge thick foam between the drivers and the pads (easily removable), which is completely unnecessary and highs must increase immediately after removing that.

And equally interesting: they have removable cable. Just bought them and plugged in the large cable of the ZO (I don't use it) and the difference in SQ is noticeable. Never thought a much better cable could indeed make such a difference. Now I nunderstand RPG and his better cable on the Q40's. That stock cable sucks. But that won't give the Q40's THIS bass. Just forget it, no way. ; ) And they have 0 burn-in. Oh, and the removable of those thick foams in front of the drivers does a hell of a difference in clarity.

These are the best cans I've heard next to the HP700. They don't have the micro-detail of the Denons, they're warmer, but have MUCH more sub-bass and impact. For FUN this is the real deal..

HD 650s are fantastic when properly amped, the ZO is not a proper amp for them.  Whomever said the HD598 is better then the HD650 never experienced them with a good amp.

May 16, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #300 of 454
Quote:
I both hate you and love you, now I probably MUST try Konig Onstage NRG300 DJs, a warmer HP700 sounds perfect to me haha. I'm perfectly satisfied with Q40, the only thing I can feel I might want have a improvement in would be soundstage and ever so slightly more forward lower-mids, other than that I think Q40 with the cable I use are really quite up there with HP700, at least close enough for me to easily take the bass response of Q40 over HP700's very slightly better microdetail.

So you concider the soundstage reasonably good on those Konig? Looks like they are circumaural and not on-ear right? Bigger inner circumference compared to HP700?

Even the NRG200 looks rather interesting (specwise it's funny cuz it says 3 - 33000 Hz on one page and 5 - 30000 Hz on another, I know specs doesn't say much but still interesting as NRG300 is specced to not go that low).

http://www.konigelectronic.com/en_us/sound-light/dj-gear/55839441

Anyway I can find the NRG300 for around 50~65 EUR throughout europe, in Finland cheapest is 56 EUR or so. I somehow have a very hard time believing a headphone of such an unknown manufacturer for this cost can sound that great...

I think the soundstage is average. But I'm pretty sure these can be modded as the HP700 for increased soundstage. Yes, they are circumaural, very comfortable and the pads are soft. Bigger inner circumference than the HP700.

Man, what you can expect from this after removing that foam, is astonishingly thunderous bass/sub-bass, more than the Q40's. The bass doesn't have the resolution/texture of the HP700, but the impact/speed/dynamics makes you forget about that. They have the same quantity of the XB500, but MUCH tighter and impactful. It's so tight, it beats so hard. You can't imagine the sound of drums from these phones. I can't describe, just hearing. But with good clarity, good treble and good mids (forward/warm). They don't have the detail/micro-detail of the HP700, but they make everything sound so cool (even stuff that I didn't like), that you forget about analysing the sound. It's just feeling it, fun, pure fun. So addicting. This is the best way I can describe them and they just have 2 hours of burn-in.

I can asure you bro, they sound THAT great. If you can't audition them first and if they don't accept returns, just send them to me, if I show these to all the people I know I can sell a hundred.

The guy of the store just told me this: "you have to hear these phones. The sound is unbeleavable. We've been selling these for musicians. Drum players, etc". And I know he's telling the truth as I know one that bought them.

Now, don't count with an HP700 with much more bass/sub-bass. The HP700 have better detail and even more sparkle/transparency. But they're so good, with emphasys on clarity as a 100€+ headphone, pretty good highs, nice warm mids and this bass makes you forget everything and anything. The impact is just staggering. So tight... During my 2 hour trip today, I must have been hypnotised, because its always an eternity and it looked like 2 minutes. I was kinda perplexed with songs that I never hear because they sound boring and was about to delete and how COOL they sound with these phones.

EDIT: the cable is crap, use the ZO larger cable, makes a hell of a difference in SQ ; )

EDIT 2: If you have a FiiO E11 or JDSLabs Cmoy BB, it gives more clarity (especially treble sparkle) than the ZO2.3. Pair the E11 or JDSLabs Cmoy with the ZO2 for bass-head heaven.

EDIT 3: And dude, if you get these and love them as much as I do, let's open a thread for them.

EDIT 4: The real frequency response is 10 - 22.000 Hz (from the original box). They also have 50mm drivers.

EDIT 5: The treble is indeed good. 0 sibilance from Mariza's voice from the Album Terra and realistic cymbals from Dave Weckl's discography. Just a bit recessed like the Q40's (I'm a treble-head).

FINAL EDIT: PLEASE do not listen to them with those ridiculous thick foams covering the driver. It totally muddys everything. I don't know how can a brand provide a phone with this, but I've seen other brand doing the same: Numark - Red Wave (the bass of these is totally amazing too - need to test them side by side one of these days. From memory I think the Numarks bass is even more powerful  - earthquake level - and they have pretty good clarity. Just need to compare the level of impact, because the Konigs totally blow me away).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back