Denon DN-HP700 Review and comparison to the AH-D7000
Mar 22, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #31 of 454
Sennheiser HD485, has velour and oval shapped pads, while reading a thread about a mod to use them with grados i found out the pads can be easily deformed to become circles

is a very tigh fit and a bit deformed. but it fits.

As for the sound, for me and not sure if applies for somebody else, got a tip better because now my ears are inside, i have big ears and with the original pads these werent circumaural for me, the HD485 has larger inner diameter so now my ears are touching the driver housing, which can also be uncomfortable, since there is no cloth ot pads inside, my ears touch the plastic, deeper cups could be obtained by stuffing the pad, not much though, since the fit is very tight and the new pad is already streached out.

overall, sound didnt change, and if any it got better, but simply because my ears are closer to the drivers now.
it is also an improve as for comfort but it could be better.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #32 of 454
Interesting mod with those pads I may have to try that at some point if I can get them reasonably priced.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #33 of 454
I just received my HP700's a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying their sound. However, I can't help but be bewildered by the claim that these are circumaural phones. You would have to have very small ears in order for them to fin within the diameter of these ear pads. My ears are average sized and the edges are definitely being pressed upon by the pads. Does anybody know how I can rectify this with readily purchasable pads? My Sennheiser HD555's have the most comfortable and properly sized circumaural pads I've ever used, so it would be nice if pads akin to them were available for the HP700s.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #34 of 454
I just ordered a pair of DN-HP700's today. Mostly because of ljokerl's suggestion, his review of them and this one. Another reason is that the sound signature might match my preferences for something with a little more bass. I've held off on trying them for about 6 months. There is a chance they could be similar in sound to my DJ100 but maybe not. These shouldn't be too bass heavy. If I can find a clone of my DJ100 that's more comfortable and less amp dependent, I'd be set.

We really do need more reviews on here like this one. I am a little worried they won't fully surround my ears or the pads will be too shallow.
For $99 (B&H) it can't hurt to give these a try. Shipping was also only $2.80! Can't beat that.

You know what's funny? Almost NO other reviews of these exist online. It seems many lower priced Denon, Audio Technica and Beyerdynamic headphones have the same problem...

I always liked the M50, so this headphone may fix some of the issues I had with that headphone.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #35 of 454
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of DN-HP700's today. Mostly because of ljokerl's suggestion, his review of them and this one. Another reason is that the sound signature might match my preferences for something with a little more bass. I've held off on trying them for about 6 months. There is a chance they could be similar in sound to my DJ100 but maybe not. These shouldn't be too bass heavy. If I can find a clone of my DJ100 that's more comfortable and less amp dependent, I'd be set.

We really do need more reviews on here like this one. I am a little worried they won't fully surround my ears or the pads will be too shallow.
For $99 (B&H) it can't hurt to give these a try. Shipping was also only $2.80! Can't beat that.

You know what's funny? Almost NO other reviews of these exist online. It seems many lower priced Denon, Audio Technica and Beyerdynamic headphones have the same problem...

I always liked the M50, so this headphone may fix some of the issues I had with that headphone.

To me they're pretty bassy, or at least a lot more than a srh840 or hfi-680, and the comfort isn't very good. Don't know how that will sit with you. But they have nice, rich sounding mids and treble that's boosted a little, but it's pleasantly done with kind of a shimmery sound. No harsh peaks.

I think this review wasn't far off comparing them to a D7000 though! Running a sinewave over these things they seemed to have a very similar frequency response to the graph on headroom.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #36 of 454

Quote:
Quote:

To me they're pretty bassy, or at least a lot more than a srh840 or hfi-680, and the comfort isn't very good. Don't know how that will sit with you. But they have nice, rich sounding mids and treble that's boosted a little, but it's pleasantly done with kind of a shimmery sound. No harsh peaks.

I think this review wasn't far off comparing them to a D7000 though! Running a sinewave over these things they seemed to have a very similar frequency response to the graph on headroom.

As long as the bass isn't anything like the Denon D1100 or XB500 I should be OK. I actually loved the bass on the HFI-680, so I'd be ok with even a little more if needed. I guess if the comfort is really bad I can try to find other pads for them. Maybe the M50 pads will fit without degrading the sound quality. Right now I'd like to get a headphone that's close to bass heavy, but still has good mids. For awhile I was tempted to try the newer white boxed M50 again, but I'd probably regret it. Maybe someday. It's weird to think that my DJ100 is the most bass heavy headphone I have (and it's not really bass heavy at all). Kind of sad really, but that's what I like!

I'm hoping the mids are maybe a tad more forward than those I heard on the HFI-680, but I'll find out soon.

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #37 of 454
To be honest I didn't like the bass much at all, seemed like they were trying to squeeze too much out of such small drivers. And plasticy midbass that probably needs some modding to fix. But I did enjoy the midrange and treble after EQing the bass down some.

But I might have gotten a weird pair, who knows.

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #38 of 454

Quote:
To be honest I didn't like the bass much at all, seemed like they were trying to squeeze too much out of such small drivers. And plasticy midbass that probably needs some modding to fix. But I did enjoy the midrange and treble after EQing the bass down some.

But I might have gotten a weird pair, who knows.

Yeah for $99 I don't expect it to be perfect, but I really do hope the bass isn't too overkill like I'm expecting. I really want to surprise myself without knowing too much. I absolutely hate headphones with too much mid-bass so this has be worried too. I also hate any headphone that has a lot of bass bleeding into the mids (like the ESW9a). In reviews it's said to not have much bass bleed, so I hope this is true!

As long as it doesn't have the basss of the D1100 or Kicker HP541, I'll be OK!

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #39 of 454
Have you got try them yet? Wondering what you thought of them.

It's weird how the OPs had more mids than a D7000, but on mine they sounded really distant. Maybe I got a dud, or they tuned these for more bass somewhere along the line.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #40 of 454
Honestly I feel like I didn't give them a fair chance. The deal killer for me is that the pads are WAY smaller than I thought. Not circumaural for me AT ALL and just press against my ears. More like supra-aural. Maybe they're supposed to be. Oops.

I found them to actually have more bass than the M50 I just got. The bass often makes the whole signature with some music less clear. It's probably due to not burning them in yet. I think they're not quite bass heavy, but very, very close. Sound clarity did seem a little worse than the M50 I just tried.

Detail seemed quite good. The mids were not too bad. I think the upper mids at times felt slightly forward sounding. I think female vocals are much better on these compared to the M50 perhaps.

Since I couldn't deal with the discomfort I just packaged them back up. Sound signature wasn't too bad. A tiny less bass and they would have been perfect.

BTW this M50 I just got in seems to have MUCH more balanced bass than my old pair. Strange.

What's really sad is that I also bought an XB500 along with the HP700! It's worthless without an EQ. Cut the bass down by almost 6DB and it's almost quite good! I was really shocked at how well it responds with an EQ! The pads alone almost make it a keeper. Without an EQ it's horrible and I don't understand how anyone could enjoy that kind of bass. For $46 it's quite good, but I knew I was going to EQ the heck out of it to be listenable.

I even prefer it to the Kicker HP541 I just tried and really disliked. Strangely enough the HP541 is more muffled than the XB500 without EQ
confused_face_2.gif

Think I'll go get my DJ100 review over with. Obsessed with that headphone and it still hasn't gotten a good review from me yet.

Quote:
Have you got try them yet? Wondering what you thought of them.

It's weird how the OPs had more mids than a D7000, but on mine they sounded really distant. Maybe I got a dud, or they tuned these for more bass somewhere along the line.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #43 of 454
I can't comment on the Pioneer's but the HP700 is driven well from an iPhone and just get better if you have a small amp.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #44 of 454
Hm, I've never even heard of these before.  I really liked the D7000 when I heard it but I simply can't afford it...maybe I should check these out.  Where's the best place to buy them from in Canada?

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #45 of 454
Axe music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back