DENON DA-10 DSD - New portable DAC/Headphone AMP
Aug 21, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #316 of 353
Basically, depends if you are using the amp/volume controls of the Denon (use variable), or bypassing them and using the volume of the main system (use fixed). If you have the option to bypass the Denon volume (either the amp is an integrated, as stated above, or you have a preamp), I'd go that route...find the DAC portion much better than the amp portion of the DA-10.

the reason why i want to use my da 10 is because its sitting there and not being used anymore after i bought the ifi dsd, so i was wondering i have an edirol 4fx external usb sound card ( http://www.roland.com/products/ua-4fx/ ) that supports only 24/96, so i thought why not use my da 10 with my desktop and home theater amplifier as my desktop is connected to my home theater and tv for music, i do not know if that is a good idea or not, can you please tell me if it is

so currently my desktop is connected by usb to edirol 4fx and then from edirol to my yamaha rx-v357 receiver optically

so i am sorry to ask again how can i utilize my da 10 with my home theater, and cables do i need as i am very bad in setting things up, can you provide links to the cables i need and i shall do my set up

finally is it better to remove the edirol and replace it with the da 10?

OK, I'm not sure anyone can really answer the question...certainly not me, I don't know the external usb card you are using. I'd guess the Denon, connected to your receiver (fixed) woulsound better, but you may have different sound preferences than I do, you may be using a fine external card. In the end, you are there, I am not. It's not all that complicated, I'd say you should try it for yourself, see which one YOU like better! (is it the 24/96 limitation that bothers you? That is only one of many factors that influence the sound. Some folks now prefer old R2R dACS, which only go to 16/44, to the newer ones that do higher resolution, for a natural, organic sound they are supposed to have. Just try it and use those ears...) :)

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #317 of 353
OK, I'm not sure anyone can really answer the question...certainly not me, I don't know the external usb card you are using. I'd guess the Denon, connected to your receiver (fixed) woulsound better, but you may have different sound preferences than I do, you may be using a fine external card. In the end, you are there, I am not. It's not all that complicated, I'd say you should try it for yourself, see which one YOU like better! (is it the 24/96 limitation that bothers you? That is only one of many factors that influence the sound. Some folks now prefer old R2R dACS, which only go to 16/44, to the newer ones that do higher resolution, for a natural, organic sound they are supposed to have. Just try it and use those ears...)
smily_headphones1.gif

final question so if i go desktop ---- usb--- denon--- rca--- yamaha will the denon run out of battery or will it be charged as its connected to the desktop by usb

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #318 of 353
I've been able to keep it plugged in to wall while connected to my desktop, battery then not an issue.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #319 of 353
I've been able to keep it plugged in to wall while connected to my desktop, battery then not an issue.

how did u mange to charge to the wall charger and use it as the same time when i want to use it as a dac to my desktop

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #320 of 353
Why not? Haven't used it in a while (used to use it for streaming from my ipad at the office, office put a block on the wireless connection and had to stop, didn't need it any more). The USB is on the back, line out through the front. I can try it when I get a chance, but maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly. Never had a problem with it dying on me, though.

how did u mange to charge to the wall charger and use it as the same time when i want to use it as a dac to my desktop

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #321 of 353
  final question so if i go desktop ---- usb--- denon--- rca--- yamaha will the denon run out of battery or will it be charged as its connected to the desktop by usb

Flip the "charge" switch, the DA10 will charge through the USB. I mean, it's in the manual :)

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #322 of 353
You got a manual!!!!????!!!!
(I know, on line, I know...) :D

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #324 of 353
True, I managed without a manual...

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #325 of 353
Too bad it doesn't charge the iPhone even if you flipped it to charge-on while you are also charging the unit via wall plug into the micro USB.  

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #326 of 353
Although this unit is great and I like the sound of it.
It does seem to lack on volume for my liking but most importantly it lacks on bass which I like and is
important for the kind of music I listen to.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to the Denon that caters for the above I've mentioned and that is a decent
sound producer?

Thanks

Oct 11, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #327 of 353
I've never found it lacking in volume driving my IEMs (see sig) even on low gain.  Are you driving headphones?  I didn't like the sound driving headphones and yeah it was a bit thin.  I don't think it handles higher loads well.  My Oppo HA-2 is good at base but a bit darker in the highs though.  It even has bass boost.  The price is reasonable and build quality and design is solid.  

Oct 11, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #328 of 353
  I've never found it lacking in volume driving my IEMs (see sig) even on low gain.  Are you driving headphones?  I didn't like the sound driving headphones and yeah it was a bit thin.  I don't think it handles higher loads well.  My Oppo HA-2 is good at base but a bit darker in the highs though.  It even has bass boost.  The price is reasonable and build quality and design is solid.  

Hi,

Yes it is for headphones. Here is what I have...

Denon AH-D600
Sennheiser HD8 DJ
Sennheiser IE800 (IEM)

I was looking to purchase the OPPO PM-3 at a later stage.

Do you think that I'd benefit to change the Denon to the HA-2?

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #329 of 353

Hi,

Yes it is for headphones. Here is what I have...

Denon AH-D600
Sennheiser HD8 DJ
Sennheiser IE800 (IEM)

I was looking to purchase the OPPO PM-3 at a later stage.

Do you think that I'd benefit to change the Denon to the HA-2?

Not sure...  I'd have to go home and try it out.  I don't usually listen to headphones through the portable setup.  I also don't have the headphones you listed (only the IEM which I prefer the DA-10 over the HA-2 for), so I am not sure if I can give an opinion on that.  However, the Denon has a much lower impedance (like 25 ohm) vs the 95 ohm for the HD8.  From my experience the Denon doesn't drive my HD800 satisfyingly.  I'm going to have to have a listen again and compare the LCD.2.2 on them as well (which has a closer impedance to the HD8).  Not sure how different sound signatures would match for you however.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back