DENON DA-10 DSD - New portable DAC/Headphone AMP
Oct 17, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #61 of 353
  audionewbi, does the DA-10 come with elastic straps? or just a case?

Just a case, I have posted a picture of all the accessories in the pictures above.

Here is the UK product page for more information.
http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=hificomponents&subid=usbdaconverters&productid=da10

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #63 of 353
The case is good but not great. It could have been more elegant but I get why they went down that path, it protects the cable from any possible unwanted tension or tag.

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #65 of 353
Headphones so far ES-10 and T5p, IEM almost all the stuff on my profile and few more I have not listed.

Right now I am using it as an amp alone. In order for me to evaluate this unit I must consider three things:

1)How does it perform as an stand alone amp?
2)How does it work as an ipod dac/amp?
3)How does it work as a DAC/amp using the camera kit and onkyo app?

If have left out the DAC alone to another amp feature (it does that using the fixed out feature) but for me that beside the point as it will be too large for me to carry it.

The selling feature of this unit is the Advanced AL32 processing and this is why to me the most important feature is 2). Currently I am using it as amp alone to preserve battery. 
For more information please read this : http://www.denon.com/pages/GlossaryDetail.aspx?GId=13

It is too soon to tell as I need to let it burn for 200 hour (for sake of mind) and than set down and listen to the same track over and over agin on different devices, trying to ensure my mind is not tricked into hearing things and than evaluate.

So far so good, it is a device for IEM user, do not expect it to driver anything demanding as it will fail. (Sorry for the user who was hoping to drive the LCD2)

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #66 of 353
  Headphones so far ES-10 and T5p, IEM almost all the stuff on my profile and few more I have not listed.

Right now I am using it as an amp alone. In order for me to evaluate this unit I must consider three things:

1)How does it perform as an stand alone amp?
2)How does it work as an ipod dac/amp?
3)How does it work as a DAC/amp using the camera kit and onkyo app?

If have left out the DAC alone to another amp feature (it does that using the fixed out feature) but for me that beside the point as it will be too large for me to carry it.

The selling feature of this unit is the Advanced AL32 processing and this is why to me the most important feature is 2). Currently I am using it as amp alone to preserve battery. 
For more information please read this : http://www.denon.com/pages/GlossaryDetail.aspx?GId=13

It is too soon to tell as I need to let it burn for 200 hour (for sake of mind) and than set down and listen to the same track over and over agin on different devices, trying to ensure my mind is not tricked into hearing things and than evaluate.

So far so good, it is a device for IEM user, do not expect it to driver anything demanding as it will fail. (Sorry for the user who was hoping to drive the LCD2)

that is a huge bummer as i already ordered it and will be shipped soon

how bout the sound signature is it warm at least i hope so, and the bass how it, and soundstage

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #67 of 353

that is a huge bummer as i already ordered it and will be shipped soon

how bout the sound signature is it warm at least i hope so, and the bass how it, and soundstage

It is your typical Burr-Brown sound which is nice warm sound. It also has a nice treble present when it needs it. With K3003 it can be too revealing.

Hey you might like it with LCD2, I do not have it but from what I have read LCD 2 is designed to be a desktop headphone and Denon DA-10 is designed to be portable.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #69 of 353
  I intend to use the DA-10 to drive my Denon D7100 and Sennheiser HD800. I'm sure it'd do the Denon just fine, but what do you think of the HD800?

People spend 2-5 K just on amps for HD800 so yes it can make it produce sound but I dont know how good it will be. 

I think you guys are better off looking at centrance M8.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #70 of 353
  People spend 2-5 K just on amps for HD800 so yes it can make it produce sound but I dont know how good it will be. 

I think you guys are better off looking at centrance M8.

Price does not equals to quality, especially in this audiophile business, a $2000 cable does not make any difference on sound, neither does a $20k DAC (some da vinci whatever).

I have a Woo Audio WA2 and it drives the HD800 just fine, I was thinking perhaps the DA-10 could give the HD800 a run on the go.

I'll look into the Centrance M8. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #71 of 353

Price does not equals to quality, especially in this audiophile business, a $2000 cable does not make any difference on sound, neither does a $20k DAC (some da vinci whatever).

I have a Woo Audio WA2 and it drives the HD800 just fine, I was thinking perhaps the DA-10 could give the HD800 a run on the go.

I'll look into the Centrance M8. 

Yes and No. While I am all for value but I have heard setup where it made me question the things I thought I was sure off.

Trick is if you have find the sound and setup up you are truly happy stop looking and find ways to make it better, it will just open other doors which might just ruin it for you instead of adding to your enjoyment.

I avoided HD800 as it can be quiet a chameleon. It has its own strong characteristics and can change and so call scale up so much with certain setup. 

Hope you enjoy whatever you end up with.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #73 of 353
  DA-10 vs. Sony PHA-3!  fight!

You are probably the only one who can do that. If that is the case I am looking forward to your impression on how it performs with XBA-Z5 and ofcourse against the upcoming woo portable amp.

--------
The following listening was done using K3003, calyx M, AK120 and ipod touch 5G. 
Album used:Tord gustavsen-Extended circle.

Amp section of Denon: I just finished comparing the amp section of Denon feeding it with calyx M and Ak120 vs its internal DAC and to my ears the winner is truly the internal DAC. The amp section works and for most it might work perfectly as essentially it is quiet uncolored and transparent, meaning it will just amplify what is feed into it 

Using ipod: However with the internal amp you get a very natural bass decay and I have no complains on the treble using K3003. To me the winning part is certainly using this with an ipod. 

I have not yet made my mind up on how it performs using the cck or as a USB DAC. Ofcourse the gap is pretty close and I cannot say which one is better, not yet at least. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #74 of 353
Another update: I just finished pairing all my IEM and truth is they all paired fine with it but I like IE800 pairing with Denon DA-10 more than the rest. 

Ipod DAC vs CCK: I am using onkyo app which allows me to use DSD and 24/192 files as well as 16/44.1 flac.
Okay if the files is 16/44.1 format the AL32 processing really does work. It gives the sound more body which means more intimate sound, it does not alter the soundstage. However to my ears if I used DSD or 24/192 files i lost a lot of detailed and it did not sounded as good when I used the CCK. 

16/44.1 using CCK worked fine however my ears liked what AL32 processing did with them when I was using the ipod processing.

Boy the DSD works on this thing, it really sounds great, maybe not as expansive as HUGO but it did not lack the micro-detail I heard on HUGO. HUGO just sounds more opened where as D10 was not quiet there. (Studio speakers vs HiFi setup)

Ergh: I dont like apple, maybe that was a little stupid of me getting a dedicated amp. So now I am looking at getting the new ipod A10 and the sony ipod lineout cable. I will be happy with that, 64 GB of internal plus 128 microSD, not bad! 

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #75 of 353
Found an interesting interview with Mr Susumu Yoneda Denon sound manager

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/20140909_662329.html

You will need translate unless you read Japanese
Basically says they have gone to great effort to produce a true HiFi device worthy of the Denon name
Many difficulties had to be overcome to use the Al 32 processor in a portable device 
Runs differential balanced out of the Al 32 into TI OPA1662 followed by JRC NJM8801E and a discrete output stage

Would seem this is no toy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back