DENON DA-10 DSD - New portable DAC/Headphone AMP
Oct 24, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #79 of 353
  I'm still contemplating on wether to get this amp or not. Atm I have the Denon D7100 headphone and the DA300USB DAC/Amp, I wonder if this DA-10 is going to improve my D7100 on the go.

If you want to use it as an stand alone amp you might be disappointed. DA-10 magic is in its DAC section and in particular the AL32 processing. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #80 of 353
  If you want to use it as an stand alone amp you might be disappointed. DA-10 magic is in its DAC section and in particular the AL32 processing. 

Hi audionewbi,

Can you elaborate on the amp section disappoints? Is it lack of power or is it bad-sounding? My primary use will be IEM's so it should be powerful enough, I guess.

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #81 of 353

Hi audionewbi,

Can you elaborate on the amp section disappoints? Is it lack of power or is it bad-sounding? My primary use will be IEM's so it should be powerful enough, I guess.

It lacks power and it will only sound as good as what you plug it in. It should have enough power for over 90% of IEM/CIEM out there but its true magic is its DAC. The DAC truly complements the amp section, as a stand alone amp it is not powerful enough for me to consider it as as an amp first device.

Most amp makers do the DAC as an after thought, few like denon make an amp section that complements their DAC section perfectly. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #82 of 353
Just did a formal A/B with HUGO, okay HUGO did come out on top by sounding more open and less what one can say as claustrophobic but boy denon just does it different. The are both great sounding it just comes down to what you like. 

I am using Denon alot more than HUGO as it is a lot more intimate.  Boy time to sale alot of gears if I could get over my audio hoarding.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #83 of 353
  You are probably the only one who can do that. If that is the case I am looking forward to your impression on how it performs with XBA-Z5 and ofcourse against the upcoming woo portable amp.

--------
The following listening was done using K3003, calyx M, AK120 and ipod touch 5G. 
Album used:Tord gustavsen-Extended circle.

Amp section of Denon: I just finished comparing the amp section of Denon feeding it with calyx M and Ak120 vs its internal DAC and to my ears the winner is truly the internal DAC. The amp section works and for most it might work perfectly as essentially it is quiet uncolored and transparent, meaning it will just amplify what is feed into it 

Using ipod: However with the internal amp you get a very natural bass decay and I have no complains on the treble using K3003. To me the winning part is certainly using this with an ipod. 

I have not yet made my mind up on how it performs using the cck or as a USB DAC. Ofcourse the gap is pretty close and I cannot say which one is better, not yet at least. 

I'm trying to get my paws on both.  I will have Z5 here in a week from JP.  Love that earphone!  Love it!!!!

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #84 of 353
  I'm still contemplating on wether to get this amp or not. Atm I have the Denon D7100 headphone and the DA300USB DAC/Amp, I wonder if this DA-10 is going to improve my D7100 on the go.

DAC in DA300 is very impressive.  Amp is not so much with high impedance headphones.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #85 of 353

I'm trying to get my paws on both.  I will have Z5 here in a week from JP.  Love that earphone!  Love it!!!!

I think Denon DA-10 is going to be leave you quiet pleasant if you like natural/warm sound. 

As a USB DSD DAC/amp this thing does one incredibly good job, no complains when I had it compared to HUGO. The micro details are there but it simply presents it differently. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #86 of 353
  I think Denon DA-10 is going to be leave you quiet pleasant if you like natural/warm sound. 

As a USB DSD DAC/amp this thing does one incredibly good job, no complains when I had it compared to HUGO. The micro details are there but it simply presents it differently. 

That's good to know.  What's the retail on the DA-10?  $399 USD?

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #87 of 353

That's good to know.  What's the retail on the DA-10?  $399 USD?

I got mine from pricejapan as I could not get any answer from when it was going to be made available locally. With all the fees I paid 512 AUD which is taking into account a 4000 Yen and the weaker Australian dollar.

Am I happy to possibly paying more than what it can be when it is available locally? No as I know I will have many hours of listening with it.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #88 of 353
I'm starting to get the feeling that the DA-10 is just a portable version of the DA300USB, if that's the case then I feel cheated because if I buy the DA-10 then what am I going to do with my DA300USB? sit it on my desktop to look pretty?

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #89 of 353
I'm starting to get the feeling that the DA-10 is just a portable version of the DA300USB, if that's the case then I feel cheated because if I buy the DA-10 then what am I going to do with my DA300USB? sit it on my desktop to look pretty?

I personally have not tried the DA300USB but if you look at my list of products (the one I use the most I have on my profile) I use Denon DA-10 more than my HUGO or my wagnus amp or the portaphile 627x. If the volume had better channel balance at lower listening volume this product is what I would consider perfect for those who like to use apple or CCK. Sure it lacks optical which I would have loved to see but there is no doubt in my mind in future this thing will drop down to 30,000 Yen or so and at that price range I do not know of any product that can challenge it. 

I have ordered the walkman digital out cable which should arrive on friday and if it works I have one sweet.

But ofcoure preference plays a role but in large Denon has done an exceptional job to my ears.

Here is a detailed review from Veteran reviewer @Sasaki

http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/407520367.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back