DENON DA-10 DSD - New portable DAC/Headphone AMP
Oct 16, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #46 of 353
  I am not saying this, it depends on your listening habits.
Just saying it's not very powerful and seeing that the Audeze is rating at: > 130dB with 15W   maybe you would need something more "beefy"...

this means i need a portable amp too, i am just wondering which one is better to couple it with the all rx mk3+ or something better, i am open for suggestions 

i have a friend who want to sell the alo national would that be a nice add on to the da 10 to drive my adueze

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #48 of 353
The unit arrives, it is surely will not disappoint. The device needs to be evaluated based on 1)amp section, 2)ipod DAC and 3)USB DAC. 

First notice the ipod DAC using redbook quality sound really good, I could not tell apart its higher output. It is also more quiet compared to camera kit connection.

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #49 of 353
Unit may be great at what it does but without a proper coax or for that matter any SP/dif input it could never compete with the best, given top sources. That said, it's purpose is portable but then even limited to I devices. The line out is the headphone out with fixed gain. Could be really good with I devices and as a USB DAC connected directly to headphones but overall it's rather self limiting compared to the admittedly much more expensive Hugo. That's a lot of brick to carry around vs just getting a dedicated HiDef DAP.

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #50 of 353
  Unit may be great at what it does but without a proper coax or for that matter any SP/dif input it could never compete with the best, given top sources. That said, it's purpose is portable but then even limited to I devices. The line out is the headphone out with fixed gain. Could be really good with I devices and as a USB DAC connected directly to headphones but overall it's rather self limiting compared to the admittedly much more expensive Hugo. That's a lot of brick to carry around vs just getting a dedicated HiDef DAP.

yes at this price it has a lot missing but its selling point is improving on the redbook quality sound. Does it do it? Well my early impression tells me yes it does, is it a reference level sound? Not quiet but if you like the sound of portaphile 627x this thing should be right on top of your try list.

I think with time it will come down on the pricing and honestly at 300 USD this thing is a no brainer for those who have an ipod classic and a library full of redbook quality music.

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #51 of 353
i hope at least its better than my go dap x by venturecraft, or fiio e18, or idsd by ifi

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #52 of 353
  i hope at least its better than my go dap x by venturecraft, or fiio e18, or idsd by ifi

I have not tried those but if you like a warm sound this should be for you.

For me the low gain is good if I want a relax sound which seems to offer the larger soundstage but the high sound give a lot of detail to the string based instrument and makes things more intimate but at the cost of reduced soundstage.

It should have enough power for vast majority of IEM, I will try the ER4S soon and report back.

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #55 of 353

$300 USD? Where?

Btw, how does the Denon DA-10 compare to Sony PHA-2?

Not now, it eventually will come down in pricing.

Ofcourse the wise thing is to wait and see how it compares against all those other DAC/AMP units that is due to be release in fujia avic festival later this year.

I do not have the PHA-2 so I cannot comment.

My only current negative feedback on Denon is the relatively loss volume knob, it is no as firm as I like it to be.

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #56 of 353
Like to share some pictures of Denon DA-10.

Please note the professional pictures are from Amazon japan web-page and the one which is obviously no where near the quality of those pictures are taken by me:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back