Denon D7100?!
Mar 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #1,291 of 1,920
I consider my head normal size :wink: and I use D7100 one notch and two notches on other side. With two notches both sides they are a bit loose.

As about to the wooden caps. They are mounted on bearings with 360 degree movement avaliable. Maybe they were moved to one extreme so they would touch the plastic in oppose to be wrongly manufactured?

Also D7100 are very sensitive to source file quality and DAC in use. The better the later two (not to mention the AMP) the more civilized they become. To the extent that with Maytek DAC they sound a bit plane (but both Mytek and Denons is still burning in).

Cheers

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,292 of 1,920
Quote:

smile.gif
  Just checking...

Oops, don't let obobskivich hear (read) you say that.  He's a buddy of mine that tends to think Bose cans get more of a lashing than they deserve around here.  I'm sure you'll run into him sooner or later.

+1  There's just so much to explore and learn about.  I've completely dismissed the notion that there is a destination, it's all about the journey for me. 
biggrin.gif

Where are you headed?  There are meets everywhere right now as this seems to be the season.  You should stop by the meet-up forum to see if there will be one wherever you'll be:  http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

eek.gif
  Whoa!  I haven't heard the K550, so I won't be of any help to you there.  I've got a Q701 so I may be able to approximate some of what you'll be hearing through the K702.  They're not exactly the same, but close enough I think.

I do happen to have a DT770 Pro here (on loan to me).  Based on what you've been saying about how you like the D7100, I think that you might like the DT880 better.  But that's just my two cents.  But then again, the DT770 is closed-back, which might be a requirement for you.

Your wallet is gonna hate me, but http://www.head-fi.org/t/651409/the-deals-thread-ii-read-the-first-post

Well that sucks...
redface.gif
  BTW, if you think they might be defective in some way, definitely shouldn't keep them and try to "make it work" so to speak.  You should return them (or at least exchange them for another pair).

LOL. 
biggrin.gif

If this is true, then you might end up liking them very much.  I would suggest using them as much as you can during the course of the week.  You don't have to listen to them, you can simply run them during the day at home while you're out.  As mentioned before, these sound noticeably different after they have been burned-in. 

OK....

It has been hard to get me to accept subjectivity until I essentially fully try different closed back phones at different price ranges.

I have two sources that I am using. One my Colorfly C4, and one a NAIM Headline straight from my MAC.

As we know I have had the Denons

Now I have had some time with the lower end headphones.

Yes they are a different class price wise and YES they are is a different class sound wise. It sure has been interesting to do it back wards. It is almost "unacceptable" when compared to the Denons, sorry but that is exactly what I hearing, very quickly, very obviously. OK admittedly perhaps it should be obvious, their Tag price is lower, they will sound poorer. I went in high. I don't dispute that. What I am certain of though, is that they are in a different class all together, this isn't always the case for tech kit, most flat screens are made by Phillips whatever else might be in or on the box. Fact.

OK If I pump some power through the DT770,s from my NAIM, I am kind of happy, nice bass response, super comfy, feel like they could take a bit of a knock, these phones will be used in the color fly, max output and I am OK with them, so for cleaning etc, possibly, I am sure I can do better though. Well the Denon's are better, but they are a commitment to wear whilst cleaning.

Closed back isn't necessarily necessary, but I would like to find what I perceive to be the best closed backs. I listen so much at work, that others could hear, and I don't want to annoy them too much, simple as that. Yep, so the DT&&)'s are enjoyable through the NAIM, I need a better DAC, and I am sure they will come even better, but they are nowhere near as intricate as the Denon's, nor as real, they are kind of cosy, but they are not as alert as the Denons, noweher near, things are not moving around,round or round, up nor down as much.

I suppose the essence of hat I want to say here is that as someone who is reasonably new to this, and having bought the Denons from jump, when I but something now that says reference headphone on it, well no. I am going to be referencing to the D7100, and right now, I haven't heard better than the D7100.

Will post reviews of the other headphones, quite like the DT770's through the NAIM, the K550 can in my my opinion "do one"...just forget them....

Interesting journey, closed backs, how good can I get.

Portability does come into it too, I have to throw my hands in the air and admit it. OK I can manage with D7100's but the DT770's would be more manageable they sounded as good.

SO the collection starts here, anyone know of high end stands? Ones that are good for your cans too.

Nothing yet is coming CLOSE to the D7100's.

Will be making ore purchases, and yeah maybe open back is where I will find my nirvana...

Maybe there are bigger differences and of course better comparisons, but different leagues really...

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,293 of 1,920
I have been listening to the Denon AH-D7100 for the last three days. Initially I found that the  bass was a bit overpowering but this problem disappeared after fifteen hours of burn in. I find the criticism that the headphones are receiving on this forum is undeserved. For the past 3 months I have tried out many different types of headphones (Koss Porta Pro, B & W P5, Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser HD700, AKG K702, HiFiMan HE500,). All of them had their faults and none of them can be defined as being the perfect headphone. With the Denon D7100 I find them to have a very good sound stage for closed headphones. The vocals are well defined and forward, on some tracks I still find that the bass is slightly overpowering but this is compared to the HE 500. All in all for the amount that I paid 600 Pounds I find this headphones to be quite good and I'm really happy that I got a discount since now they are going almost for 800 Pounds on Amazon. Personally I find the design to be futuristic and the accessories, for example the stand that it comes with, adds that little bit of luxurious feel to the product. The treble is slightly recessed and is nowhere near the HD 700 Sennheiser. I would compare the treble with something like the HD 650 Sennheiser. I'm still in the burn in process with these headphones and would continue to update on their progress. Personally I feel that these headphones require a good burn in time and you need to live with them before judging them. All in all I would definitely place this headphones in the range of around 600 - 700 Pounds. 

Finally I would like to add they are no Sennheiser HD700 which retail for around £600. My advice to anyone looking to buy a closed pair of headphones then give these a try. But not to pay the full retail price.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,294 of 1,920
Update: These headphones are coming along nicely. The bass is more tight now, reducing resonance. Listening to them I would now be willing to pay around £750 for them. Here is my list of the best headphones I have tried till now just based on my listening experience.

1) HE500
2) Denon AH-D7100
3)Sennheiser HD650
4)Sennheiser HD700
5)Sennheiser  Amperior
6) AKG K702
7)B&W P5
8) Koss Porta Pro
9)Sennheiser HD 201

Main equipment used to test these headphones has been Macbook Air (Spotify 320Kbps, Apple Lossless)-->Audiolab M-Dac-->Corda Jazz.

The more I listen to the Denon AH-D7100 the more I am impressed by its sound signature and how it is changing in front of my ears as time goes by. I dont know how the Denon AH-D7000 sounded like but when I last checked in the list of 50 top flagship headphones they did not fair very well coming around 32nd. Even below the Sennheiser HD 700 and I consider the Sennheiser HD 700 as a pretty bad headphone considering its price point and treble spikes. I can assure you that these headphone are much better than a 32nd position. I would put them in the top 20 flagship headphones. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #1,295 of 1,920
Well I am about into 50th hour of listening and I must say they are changing a lot in plus. I wonder how they will sound after 150 - 200h.

Also I am surprised they can take as much as 1.8 Watts on the chin as their upper limit. They can act as portable speakers. Few nights back I was testing Eximus DP-1 with them and we did not notice the volume knob being on 2/3 and we plugged them in (luckily not on my head).

Room was full of exited people chatting vigorously about Audio and Denon were easily about twice louder then them.

I was afraid we damaged them straight away but they were just fine.

The next day I checked what is the HP output like in DP-1 and it is 1.5W so in theory we could go full volume and still do them no harm as their limit according to Denon is 1.8W :O

At full volume of DP-1 they would be extremely laud and definitely not usable anywhere close to the head and ears. 

When I got to listening to DP-1 I was using it about 1/3 of knob travel and I like to listen laud...

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #1,296 of 1,920
Quote:
Well I am about into 50th hour of listening and I must say they are changing a lot in plus. I wonder how they will sound after 150 - 200h.

Also I am surprised they can take as much as 1.8 Watts on the chin as their upper limit. They can act as portable speakers. Few nights back I was testing Eximus DP-1 with them and we did not notice the volume knob being on 2/3 and we plugged them in (luckily not on my head).

Room was full of exited people chatting vigorously about Audio and Denon were easily about twice louder then them.

I was afraid we damaged them straight away but they were just fine.

The next day I checked what is the HP output like in DP-1 and it is 1.5W so in theory we could go full volume and still do them no harm as their limit according to Denon is 1.8W :O

At full volume of DP-1 they would be extremely laud and definitely not usable anywhere close to the head and ears. 

When I got to listening to DP-1 I was using it about 1/3 of knob travel and I like to listen laud...

How is the issue of resonance after 50 hrs. I am still having this issue with the Denon D7100 I hope the bass tames itself by 50 hrs. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,297 of 1,920
How is the issue of resonance after 50 hrs. I am still having this issue with the Denon D7100 I hope the bass tames itself by 50 hrs. 

It takes about 100 hours of burn in

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #1,298 of 1,920
Quote:

The resonance is due to the cup design. The acoustics are just a mess in there. If you really want to do something about you, read into damping. You may end up creating a great headphone if you can properly dampen it. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,299 of 1,920
Quote:
Update: These headphones are coming along nicely. The bass is more tight now, reducing resonance. Listening to them I would now be willing to pay around £750 for them. Here is my list of the best headphones I have tried till now just based on my listening experience.

1) HE500
2) Denon AH-D7100
3)Sennheiser HD650
4)Sennheiser HD700
5)Sennheiser  Amperior
6) AKG K702
7)B&W P5
8) Koss Porta Pro
9)Sennheiser HD 201

Main equipment used to test these headphones has been Macbook Air (Spotify 320Kbps, Apple Lossless)-->Audiolab M-Dac-->Corda Jazz.

The more I listen to the Denon AH-D7100 the more I am impressed by its sound signature and how it is changing in front of my ears as time goes by. I dont know how the Denon AH-D7000 sounded like but when I last checked in the list of 50 top flagship headphones they did not fair very well coming around 32nd. Even below the Sennheiser HD 700 and I consider the Sennheiser HD 700 as a pretty bad headphone considering its price point and treble spikes. I can assure you that these headphone are much better than a 32nd position. I would put them in the top 20 flagship headphones. 

i wouldn't cause the older denons to me sound better than the newer, and of course, david's review put the d7000 down in 32 though, and the hd 650s way up there. of course though, YMMV.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,300 of 1,920
Really enjoying listening to them through my iPad Mini they sound awesome something my Hifiman He 500 wont ever be able to do. Even the Hifiguy has reported that these headphones sound great through iPhone 5, my guess is that the iPad Mini and iPhone 5 share the same Dac/Amp inside. This is where the interchangeable cable concept really excels. And I love the remote and itunes integration.

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,301 of 1,920
Quote:

i wouldn't cause the older denons to me sound better than the newer, and of course, david's review put the d7000 down in 32 though, and the hd 650s way up there. of course though, YMMV.

Ok I have not heard the older Denon line but I have heard the HD 650 and the Denon Ah-D7100 sound better to me. For a closed headphone the soundstage is unbelievable. I am still around the 50 hrs into the burn-in and dare I say that I even prefer them to the HE 500. I am hearing more detail in the Denon's instead of the HE 500. Maybe its my setup? I really need to get my hands on a Denon D7000 to really see what all the fuss is about. Cant find them anywhere.. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #1,302 of 1,920
well if you don't have an amp, of course the denons will sound better, but the HD 650 should be almost as good as the d7100  and the he-500 should be much much better when powered by a proper amp.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #1,303 of 1,920
Quote:
well if you don't have an amp, of course the denons will sound better, but the HD 650 should be almost as good as the d7100  and the he-500 should be much much better when powered by a proper amp.

I would agree with you that HE-500 is better than the D7100. But not by much it has a sound signature that is completely different to the D7100. To be more accurate the background in HE500 is  much more quieter. But since the D7100 is a bass heavy/Closed headphone that is not the case. But I have noticed that even though the D7100 is bass heavy it does not lose the detail. These are two very different headphones and I guess for different audiences all together. Also D7100 has a slight issue with resonance but I have been told by other reviewers that this might go away as the burn in progresses. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,305 of 1,920
YMMV. For me, I prefer newer denons to older ones. D600 paired with Asgard is simply a pleasure to listen. All those glares and edginess disappear with Asgard, (I blame on my other amps for this) and mids are more forward and vocals are more intimate. Overall, its a slightly laid back and much smoother presentation with Asgard, but not lacking in details. I even feel they boost slightly more details than HE500.
For me, HE-500 simply trumps down D600 in terms of bass and its mid range, and clarity. HE-500 and HD600 are more airier, really transparent and I find myself getting lost in music more with them than D600. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back