Denon D7100?!
Feb 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,231 of 1,920
I agree, their transformation is unlike any headphone I've owned and that includes my highend cans. So given the d600 and d7100 have the same drivers, I would assume the change is the same for both. Maybe a lot of criticism is from out of the box or store demo impressions, but you really have to give them time before you prejudge them.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,232 of 1,920
I have had a pair of Denon 7100's for a week now. Money was not an object. Aesthetics I thought were an object, until I put them on and plugged them into my Colorfly C4. I plugged a lot of headphones into my Colorfly that day. As soon as I put the 7100's on....I was reminded that headphones are not for looking at they are for listening to. Yes I may very well look quite odd walking round wearing them, but what do I care. I am in a world that few have really ventured in to, I can walk around with true uncompromising Audiophile sound. Loads of comments about how they look, does anyone agree that they are truly mind blowing sound wise? I didn't really want a pair of Denon phones...I had a couple of K GBP to lash out...I was getting impressed....but not that much money impressed. Then I plugged these in. I bought them after half of a tune, the difference is that vast. Knockout one inch punch.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #1,233 of 1,920
Quote:
I agree, their transformation is unlike any headphone I've owned and that includes my highend cans. Maybe a lot of criticism is from out of the box or store demo impressions, but you really have to give them time before you prejudge them.

I could not agree more.  To everyone and anyone reading this, I know it sounds cray cray, but it's true.  Had someone told me that these cans would become substantially different between an unboxing and a hundred hours in, I'd have told them to get out (or accused them of burn-in placebo).  But it really did happen.

I'm not going to get into whether it gets better or not, since that is obviously a matter of personal preference.  But I'm pretty confident that if you didn't like it right out of the box (for the reasons previously mentioned in the thread), you're probably going to like them a lot better down the road.  If you liked them out of the box, well...

Quote:
So given the d600 and d7100 have the same drivers, I would assume the change is the same for both.

Hmm, I would surmise the same, but I haven't had a chance to experience that.  I had a chance to audition the D600 at the SF meet last weekend.  But since I don't know how many hours were put on it, and didn't have a chance to gather initials, I can't say just yet. 
frown.gif

Quote:
I have had a pair of Denon 7100's for a week now. Money was not an object. Aesthetics I thought were an object, until I put them on and plugged them into my Colorfly C4.

If I'm to be honest, I've never been a fan of the way it looks in the hand.  I think I called it a platypus-like design once and I stand by that.  But I also realize that once I put it on, I am largely unaware of how it looks (and could frankly care less).

Quote:
As soon as I put the 7100's on....I was reminded that headphones are not for looking at they are for listening to.  I am in a world that few have really ventured in to, I can walk around with true uncompromising Audiophile sound. Loads of comments about how they look, does anyone agree that they are truly mind blowing sound wise? Then I plugged these in. I bought them after half of a tune, the difference is that vast. Knockout one inch punch.

I enjoy it quite a bit.  It's different from my other cans of course, with it's own unique coloration.  But I like it.  TBH, I liked it a little bit better out of the box, but that's just me.  Also, for the love of God, don't try to amp it.  Trust me on this one, it sounds worse amped.  The D7100 performs at its best without our usual bag of tricks.  It's a wonder that it can do what it does without amping.

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #1,234 of 1,920
I don't think Denon ah-d is better than sennheiser hd 800 or hifiman he 6, but clearly better than sennheiser hd650 or Shure srh 1840.

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,235 of 1,920
Quote:

I enjoy it quite a bit.  It's different from my other cans of course, with it's own unique coloration.  But I like it.  TBH, I liked it a little bit better out of the box, but that's just me.  Also, for the love of God, don't try to amp it.  Trust me on this one, it sounds worse amped.  The D7100 performs at its best without our usual bag of tricks.  It's a wonder that it can do what it does without amping.

Actually I share this thought as well. The D7100 sounds very balanced and enjoyable out of my iPod (5th gen) but rather unimpressive when plugged into my Asgard. Treble becomes somewhat harsher and bass becomes dry. Not bad by all means, but certainly behind my T1 with the same amp. Could also be the cable since I use the remote cable with the iPod and the long cable with the amp. The D7000 on the Asgard has a very liquid sub-bass which the 7100 can't quite do with the same amp.

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #1,236 of 1,920
Quote:
I don't think Denon ah-d is better than sennheiser hd 800 or hifiman he 6, but clearly better than sennheiser hd650 or Shure srh 1840.

I haven't heard the HE-6 or the SRH-1840, but I would definitely concur with the others (as per my personal preferences).

I'm actually not the world's biggest fan of the HD 650 by any means, so that determines a lot for me right off the bat.  I can see (or hear) why some people like them, they're just not mind-blowing in my book.  Actually, I've got a pair of HD 650 here on loan at the moment, so I'll give it another listen tonight to see how I feel about it. 

Quote:
Quote:
Also, for the love of God, don't try to amp it.  Trust me on this one, it sounds worse amped.  The D7100 performs at its best without our usual bag of tricks.  It's a wonder that it can do what it does without amping.

Actually I share this thought as well. The D7100 sounds very balanced and enjoyable out of my iPod (5th gen) but rather unimpressive when plugged into my Asgard. Treble becomes somewhat harsher and bass becomes dry. Not bad by all means, but certainly behind my T1 with the same amp. Could also be the cable since I use the remote cable with the iPod and the long cable with the amp. The D7000 on the Asgard has a very liquid sub-bass which the 7100 can't quite do with the same amp.

A couple of people at the SF meet last week would agree with us.  It's counter-intuitive to be sure, but nonetheless noticeable.  In my personal experience, the D7100 tends to dry out a bit through my O2.  And if there was any one thing I would not want the D7100 to become, it's dry. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #1,237 of 1,920
Quote:

I haven't heard the HE-6 or the SRH-1840, but I would definitely concur with the others (as per my personal preferences).

I'm actually not the world's biggest fan of the HD 650 by any means, so that determines a lot for me right off the bat.  I can see (or hear) why some people like them, they're just not mind-blowing in my book.  Actually, I've got a pair of HD 650 here on loan at the moment, so I'll give it another listen tonight to see how I feel about it. 

well, i dont like hd 650 either, that's why i sold them a while ago.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,238 of 1,920
The TH-900 cost 2300 USD right now, the D7100 are 700 USD. Why compare the new Denons with headphones more than 3 times the price? Not very fair.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #1,239 of 1,920
Quote:
Quote:

well, i dont like hd 650 either, that's why i sold them a while ago.

Didn't get a chance to listen last night, but I'll try for tonight.  Don't have high hopes though...

Quote:
The TH-900 cost 2300 USD right now, the D7100 are 700 USD. Why compare the new Denons with headphones more than 3 times the price? Not very fair.

$700?  Pray tell where?

And BTW, is it hilarious to anyone else that the D7100 would ever have been the cheaper of two cans under comparison?  Surely I can't be the only one chuckling at this.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,240 of 1,920

They're available for $1650 from PriceJapan, FYI, and I've not seen the D7100 for less than $850. There's also the TH600, which is about to ship, which is very similar to the TH900, and it's coming out at $900.

Ah, found the D7100 for $750 from Elec Expo. but it's open box sans warranty (bad idea to pay that much w/o a guarantee, IMO).

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #1,241 of 1,920
Quote:
found the D7100 for $750 from Elec Expo. but it's open box sans warranty (bad idea to pay that much w/o a guarantee, IMO).

Totally.  It's bad idea to go without warranty under any circumstance, but especially for higher ticket items.

Quote:
I've not seen the D7100 for less than $850.

Wait, so where have you seen it for $850?  I was looking around Christmas, and the cheapest I've seen it for was $999.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #1,242 of 1,920
Quote:

Totally.  It's bad idea to go without warranty under any circumstance, but especially for higher ticket items.

Wait, so where have you seen it for $850?  I was looking around Christmas, and the cheapest I've seen it for was $999.

I've seen it for £422($644) in the UK. I think it was a 2nd hand or open box one however.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,243 of 1,920

J&R had a sale a while back and they were $850.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,244 of 1,920
I got my D7100 from Headroom for 799. Quite lucky of me to snatch the last one they had, now they're out of stock and back to 1199.

funfie has it for 729, not sure if it is still available though. I think around 700-900 is a fair price for the D7100. 

Would be great to see a three way shootout between D7100, D7000 and TH600. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #1,245 of 1,920
Quote:

I could not agree more.  To everyone and anyone reading this, I know it sounds cray cray, but it's true.  Had someone told me that these cans would become substantially different between an unboxing and a hundred hours in, I'd have told them to get out (or accused them of burn-in placebo).  But it really did happen.

I'm not going to get into whether it gets better or not, since that is obviously a matter of personal preference.  But I'm pretty confident that if you didn't like it right out of the box (for the reasons previously mentioned in the thread), you're probably going to like them a lot better down the road.  If you liked them out of the box, well...

Hmm, I would surmise the same, but I haven't had a chance to experience that.  I had a chance to audition the D600 at the SF meet last weekend.  But since I don't know how many hours were put on it, and didn't have a chance to gather initials, I can't say just yet. 
frown.gif

If I'm to be honest, I've never been a fan of the way it looks in the hand.  I think I called it a platypus-like design once and I stand by that.  But I also realize that once I put it on, I am largely unaware of how it looks (and could frankly care less).

Well the difference between listening to them through my iPod straight and my Colorfly is massive, maybe the DAC, but it is amped out of the Colorfly. They certainly make a combination that I enjoy anyway. I wouldn't ever say that you should never amp any headphones, especially ones that come with a 6.7mm jack lead option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back