Denon D7000 & D7100
Sep 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 46
So, the new Denons are underwhelming huh? What the hell happened?
Me thinks cos they switched away from Fostex as makers.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #17 of 46
Up here, they are EUR1200, kind of scary, if you ask me, however according to this local Dutch hi fi reviewer, these are perfect http://www.hifi.nl/artikel/19353/Denon-AH-D7100-Hoofdtelefoon.html

There is nothing that he could find that was not his liking. At first, he tried them when they just were introduced and the impressions were good, but not that good to call them perfect. After a week (day in day out ) of burn in, they become an totally differend beast, where he compare them with electrostats when its come to detail and refinemend. All gengres are welcome, at least thats what his impressions are. They sound very good from out of iPod, iPhone or using with Dragonfly gives you enough of high end, but pairing with better source makes them perfect.

Here couple of his impressions:

- the tonal richness is breathtaking

- the level of detail is very high and at the level that he heard from the stats only. they are not like magnifier that trying to make sound bigger, they are like an electron microscope that brings you all that small nuances from a  deeply hidden edge, but then in full color.

- listen through better amp ( Naim SuperNait in his system ) take you more in to the music and the power is very present

The airiness is the only "draw" he found, compared to K701, but when it comes to lower end, speed, dynamics and detail, Denons are not just better, but far superior

Conclusion:

The low end is phenomenal, transparency and detailing of reference level and the speed and timing are first class.The extremely deep and not agressive insight into the music that these headphones produce, is exciting, which do not make you tired either. Cofmort is at very high level, even after several hours of listening.

Listen to music with these headphones is an intense and confrontational experience. The presentation is like between your ears ( in your face? ) and you have to like ti, cos some may like semi or fully open one more.

The price tag of EUR1200 is fully justified!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I am shocked...

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:
Up here, they are EUR1200, kind of scary, if you ask me, however according to this local Dutch hi fi reviewer, these are perfect http://www.hifi.nl/artikel/19353/Denon-AH-D7100-Hoofdtelefoon.html

There is nothing that he could find that was not his liking. At first, he tried them when they just were introduced and the impressions were good, but not that good to call them perfect. After a week (day in day out ) of burn in, they become an totally differend beast, where he compare them with electrostats when its come to detail and refinemend. All gengres are welcome, at least thats what his impressions are. They sound very good from out of iPod, iPhone or using with Dragonfly gives you enough of high end, but pairing with better source makes them perfect.

Here couple of his impressions:

- the tonal richness is breathtaking

- the level of detail is very high and at the level that he heard from the stats only. they are not like magnifier that trying to make sound bigger, they are like an electron microscope that brings you all that small nuances from a  deeply hidden edge, but then in full color.

- listen through better amp ( Naim SuperNait in his system ) take you more in to the music and the power is very present

The airiness is the only "draw" he found, compared to K701, but when it comes to lower end, speed, dynamics and detail, Denons are not just better, but far superior

Conclusion:

The low end is phenomenal, transparency and detailing of reference level and the speed and timing are first class.The extremely deep and not agressive insight into the music that these headphones produce, is exciting, which do not make you tired either. Cofmort is at very high level, even after several hours of listening.

Listen to music with these headphones is an intense and confrontational experience. The presentation is like between your ears ( in your face? ) and you have to like ti, cos some may like semi or fully open one more.

The price tag of EUR1200 is fully justified!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I am shocked...

My impressions were 180 degrees different than his. All I kept thinking was I wouldn't pay $500 for them.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #19 of 46
Sep 26, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #20 of 46
+1

I'll tell you what happened. Their OEM relationship with Foster ended. I don't know who's taken over, but crappy drivers equal crappy sound. Unfortunately, I can attest to this first hand.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #21 of 46
Well, thats pure marketing, all it is. With all respect, but I dont think its very hard to be impressed by stepping from K701 with many headphones, much cheaper one to, especially when you talking about using them with many differ genres, where certain coloration and big bass are very welcome.
My intention by posting this was just to show that nothing is changed and never will, cos pushing headphones market at that high MSRP level, makes me wonder how long folks will stay in trance, before they feel deception.
I love TRANCE, but as music genre only and feel happy by not stay in there when its stops playing.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

My impressions were 180 degrees different than his. All I kept thinking was I wouldn't pay $500 for them.

Hmm, Peter what amp and DAC did you use to demo the D7100?  Maybe, it's a headphone that's more picky than most about amplification and upstream components?

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #24 of 46
Sep 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #25 of 46
Sep 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:
Me thinks cos they switched away from Fostex as makers.

Quote:
+1

I'll tell you what happened. Their OEM relationship with Foster ended. I don't know who's taken over, but crappy drivers equal crappy sound. Unfortunately, I can attest to this first hand.

Dang, I'm glad I've got one of their older models. Would've been nice too see them improve because I think Denon kicks ass.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Hmm, Peter what amp and DAC did you use to demo the D7100?  Maybe, it's a headphone that's more picky than most about amplification and upstream components?

No amp/dac could save the mess my ears heard. 
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Likely the source of his overly positive review. 
wink.gif

Even if they were free. If they sound like crap I ain't gonna sugar coat it :wink:. It's never good to mislead people based on getting free hand outs. That's what makes it harder to trust these sorts of reviews. I'm much more apt to trust reviews on headfi (more so when there are others with similar impressions) than a blog-site. Although that is still no guarantee that I will like the Audio gear, but it just seems safer overall.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:
Even if they were free. If they sound like crap I ain't gonna sugar coat it :wink:. It's never good to mislead people based on getting free hand outs. That's what makes it harder to trust these sorts of reviews. I'm much more apt to trust reviews on headfi (more so when there are others with similar impressions) than a blog-site. Although that is still no guarantee that I will like the Audio gear, but it just seems safer overall.

How do we know he didn't sell them later for say $800? The good old "pump and dump". 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back