Denon D600 VS Hifiman HE-400
Dec 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

payj

Head-Fier
I want a good all around set up.

Main music focus is: rap, hip-hop, alternative, techno in that order.

Both head sets seem to be good overall. Some people do not have too much love for the D600, but I have read many reviews and gone through hundreds of posts that suggest otherwise in the big picture.

The He-400 seem like a great choice as well.

Please help me decide! I think it is between these two.

Also was thinking of getting the Fiio E17 for either one. Good choice?

Thanks

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 29
Huh, funny I replied in your other thread. So I'll just copy paste them here:

Quote:
Just adding a thing others have not mentioned here (or I just missed it).

Are you using it for portable purposes? If so then the Denons are preferable since they are light and doesn't need an amp to drive.
If not, hands down the HE-400. If you have an amp able to drive them that would be better (which to me, amp is not a total necessity).

I own the HE-400 and they are in the category of heavy headphones. If you decide to buy HE-400, they have a return policy in case you are not satisfied with cans.

The D600 I can't say much since I don't have them so I am only giving suggestions on portability but I heard they are overpriced and falls short to their previous generations.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 29
Thank you for the reply.

Ya I made a new thread so it could get focused on these two cans.

Still undecided.

Portable hmmmm well yes I guess/maybe? Road trips possibly school maybe? Idk I typicialy just use them at home so i am not too worried about the being portable.

I admit I am a total newb! however before I even posted these threads I researched for HOURS (maybe 12) Honestly, of the 12 or so hours about 3 of those were on the D600. I read all the negs for the most part (the 80 page thread - almost all of it which is where most of the negs reside and the same users that posted those negs post them in different threads so I count them as one). That being said, there are plenty of people who like them and some who even returned them, but liked them? The guy with the dog in his avatar come to mind.

These headphones seem to get compared to the D5000, which are a more elite version of the D2000 which the 600's replaced? I have read reviews that some still prefer the D2000, some say the D600 have the edge. To me it sounds like there both good, but people just have there small prefernces. I read a review on a blog - I forget which , but I am sure you guys have read it. The guy tests the 2k's and the 600's and writes like a 10 page summary. He ended up preferring the 600's...on and on and on we go......Yes, theres seems to be some tension with people and the 600's but I feel that most of these people owned the 2000's before and were expecting some major differences and there weren't so they put down the 600's....Heres the thing, I am coming from $20 sony's i am sure they will be leaps and bounds over those.

The HE-400's seem to get good reviews overall as well. There is less negs, however people still complain about this or that (very small settle thinsg to their ears only if you will) and end up liking "X" better. The 400's also do not have any popular predacesors? to be compared with likethe 600's, which it seems as I stated above where some of the negs come from. However, people love these so that must me something right? lol thats why its a hard choice.

If it sounds like I am rooting for the 600's then well, maybe I am? Idk I guess it just seems the negs aren't anything huge more or less just people comparing them to older models, which is fine, but makes little difference to me. And even those people say the 600's are good, they just wouldn't upgrade from their 5000's or 2000's. Again that scenario doesn't apply to me.

Still on the fence as stated above, I want some more replies. This is a lot of $.

Thank you

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

Ya I made a new thread so it could get focused on these two cans.

Still undecided.

Portable hmmmm well yes I guess/maybe? Road trips possibly school maybe? Idk I typicialy just use them at home so i am not too worried about the being portable.

I admit I am a total newb! however before I even posted these threads I researched for HOURS (maybe 12) Honestly, of the 12 or so hours about 3 of those were on the D600. I read all the negs for the most part (the 80 page thread - almost all of it which is where most of the negs reside and the same users that posted those negs post them in different threads so I count them as one). That being said, there are plenty of people who like them and some who even returned them, but liked them? The guy with the dog in his avatar come to mind.

These headphones seem to get compared to the D5000, which are a more elite version of the D2000 which the 600's replaced? I have read reviews that some still prefer the D2000, some say the D600 have the edge. To me it sounds like there both good, but people just have there small prefernces. I read a review on a blog - I forget which , but I am sure you guys have read it. The guy tests the 2k's and the 600's and writes like a 10 page summary. He ended up preferring the 600's...on and on and on we go......Yes, theres seems to be some tension with people and the 600's but I feel that most of these people owned the 2000's before and were expecting some major differences and there weren't so they put down the 600's....Heres the thing, I am coming from $20 sony's i am sure they will be leaps and bounds over those.

The HE-400's seem to get good reviews overall as well. There is less negs, however people still complain about this or that (very small settle thinsg to their ears only if you will) and end up liking "X" better. The 400's also do not have any popular predacesors? to be compared with likethe 600's, which it seems as I stated above where some of the negs come from. However, people love these so that must me something right? lol thats why its a hard choice.

If it sounds like I am rooting for the 600's then well, maybe I am? Idk I guess it just seems the negs aren't anything huge more or less just people comparing them to older models, which is fine, but makes little difference to me. And even those people say the 600's are good, they just wouldn't upgrade from their 5000's or 2000's. Again that scenario doesn't apply to me.

Still on the fence as stated above, I want some more replies. This is a lot of $.

Thank you

D5000 sounded pretty low-fi compared to HE-400. The only thing you need to consider with HE-400's sound is that it is a laid-back sound signature so that might not fit with your music genres. Otherwise it has fantastic technical performance.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 29
Comparing the D600 and the D2000 IMO is not a fair comparison (although an intriguing one) since if I remember correctly the D600 should have been the new D5000 so it should be compared with the D5000. CMIIW

For each and every person in the world, there will be things they don't like in a headphone so my advice is if demoing the units is plausible then do so. If it is not possible, then make use of the return policies.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 29
So is the D600 a better unit than the D2000 in MOST peoples opinion's? The 5000 is much more $ (over one1k on amazon) making the new 600 a good deal then if those two are comparable.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 29
Hey payj, I listen to those genres too. Normally, I would lay off open cans for them, mainly because my DT880 (known for strong bass), similar to the HE400, just doesn't deliver the low range as well as even an M50. And we're talking about a D600 here! So there is a huge difference in bass.
On another though, I think you can add a few cans to your list. The new AKG Tiestos sound quite promising, the M100, renown PRO900, hot COPs, and the classic M50. I can't really stand supraaural cans mainly because my ESW9A pads keep biting at my ears. But if you can cope, then the Amperior, DT1350, and TMA-1 may work.
It's nice to see someone on the same boat :)

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 29
I can't say anything in most people opinion, if you like 'em then just go for it (since it seems you've already got your mind set on them).

Don't believe the price in Amazon, they are BS since the D5000 has been discontinued they put a price even reaching the HD800 (ridiculous).
Secondhand D5000 is around $500ish.

If you want to have a headphone that can accompany you at your travels and at home then D600 is probably best fit for you (HE-400 leaks sound in and out so it's a no-no for traveling headphones).

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 29
Problem is I have to got through amazon (well, I want too) I have a bunch of points that I can redeem through them with my Credit Card that will come close to paying for them. I am thinking about picking up a used set of D600's (if I choose them) on amazon. I talked to the dealer selling them and they said they are "like new" they are $320. Thoughts?

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:
I was reading that both the d600 and he400 are easy to push. Maybe the denon a bit more, but won't make a difference when paired with a fiio.
I am now leaning towars the he400 becUse there a bit cheaper however I do prefer the looks of the denon more.
There seems to be no definitive answer...sadly

Heya,

Don't waste your money on the D400 or D600 unless you audition them and simply like them. You're better off with a Mr Speaker Mad Dog or an Ultrasone HFI 580 frankly for what you're looking for. The HE400 is fantastic. But end of the day, it looks like the Mad Dog is going to fit the bill. It does everything you're looking for, and does it for less. Google it up. And I recommend finding some Stax Pads on ebay for later if you want to make it even better.

Very best,

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 29
I sent that gentleman a pm.

He said the following:

"Get the D600 if you want a closed headphone with more impactful sub-bass. Get the HE-400 if you want a more hi-fi sound, a better overall headphone, and a better sound stage. The D600 is designed as a portable. The HE-400 is a world class headphone for use at home, not portable. It will run fine from your Fiio E17."

So in terms of the possibility of wanting to travel with them, my music genre (again, rap, r&b, alternative, techno) the D600's may be better from his pov?

Unfortunatley I do not understand the "terms" used, so the answer from him was not too cut and dry (my fault due to the fact I do not get the terms) but I did list my music genre.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Heya,

Don't waste your money on the D400 or D600 unless you audition them and simply like them. You're better off with a Mr Speaker Mad Dog or an Ultrasone HFI 580 frankly for what you're looking for. The HE400 is fantastic. But end of the day, it looks like the Mad Dog is going to fit the bill. It does everything you're looking for, and does it for less. Google it up. And I recommend finding some Stax Pads on ebay for later if you want to make it even better.

Very best,

I want to go through Amazon as I have $450 in free money with them. The Mad Dogs are not on there so there out. The 580's are out of stock (good price) so there out.....Shoot!

If I did go with the D600's I would get them for $320. Does that change you perception at all? If not please elaborate what I may or may not like about the HE-400's (in laymen terms) besides the portability when taking my needs into consideration.

Others can reply too.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 29
Personally, I don't think the D600 is worth it at all. It was the first expensive can I heard, with the only other experience in audio being the etymotic hf5. The etymotics are in-ears, less than 100$, and IMO they could compare, and were even better than the D600 in every aspect except bass and maybe a bit of treble extension.

Too much bass, too much treble and the mids get drowned out. Also the resolving detail isn't amazing nor the sound stage. They do nothing good enough for their price except the bass, which seems to extend very well.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:
I want to go through Amazon as I have $450 in free money with them. The Mad Dogs are not on there so there out. The 580's are out of stock (good price) so there out.....Shoot!

If I did go with the D600's I would get them for $320. Does that change you perception at all? If not please elaborate what I may or may not like about the HE-400's (in laymen terms) besides the portability when taking my needs into consideration.

Others can reply too.

By giving the price, personally I think it will not change perceptions of people around here especially if they are used.

No offense here but the problem is you don't need to convince us.
I'm sure for $450 there are better headphones than a used Denon D600. If you want to keep a safe budget of $350, the Momentum is really recommended at Innerfidelity or a headphone that might suit well with your genre probably is V-Moda M100.

But I'm going to follow as your topic which is D600 or HE-400.

For the characteristics of the HE-400, experienced user has already given their impression in its own thread.
Hope you get what's best for you

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #15 of 29
Got ya.

With some more self thought, I think it would be more wise for me to buy something that in a pinch I could take with me outside the house. That would pretty much eliminate the HE-400's, at least for me. So, what would you guys then suggest? Everything remains the same. They can be a bit bigger, even borderline home only like the D600, but I want the ability to be mobile.

So closed headphones and not over the top big I guess.

Contenders:

Momentum's
V-Moda M100
?
?

Remember my genre....Also I need to go through Amazon....

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back