DENON D2000 OR AKG K702???
Nov 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 101

Quote:
i was going to buy the denon until i heard that quincy jones (my musical idol) uses the akg. if he does, there must be a good reason. my musical taste is mainly r&b, soul, new soul, some funky, some jazz and a bit of classical 

thanks

Check the picture of Quincy wearing the Q701.  He is wearing them backwards.  Do you think he really uses them every day, and yet doesn't know which side the cable goes on?  When you use a one side cable headphone for a while, it becomes instinctual and you don't even have to think about it.  Not to mention the angled pads.  Any K701 owner can tell you that it's not easy to put them on backwards.

I'm not saying you won't like the K701, you might love them.  But don't buy them because of Quincy- that's nothing but ruffle tuff.  It would be like buying a Nikon because Ashton Kutcher supposedly likes them. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #17 of 101
LOL!!!. Seems AKG would have caught this and showed Q the correct way to wear them. People are paid all the time to market stuff. I doesn't mean they use them. But however if you watched the we are the world video from 20+ years ago. He and most of the artists singing are wearing sextetts(which is a better can anyway imo).

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #18 of 101
They probably photoshopped it to his head. This would be a huge slap in the face to customers, but it wouldn't surprise me if something like this goes on. Not saying this is what they did.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #19 of 101
I have the K701, and in an attempt to find a headphone with a bit more bass, I auditioned the D2000.  While it does have more bass, its seconded by the AKGs in almost every other aspect.  The K701 have more soundstage, better imaging, more detail, and are a much more resolving pair of headphones.  The D2000 is fun, bassy, and comfortable, but I found its lack of imaging too unsatisfying, so I returned them and still have the K701.

Having said that, do not get the AKGs unless you plan on buying a quality DAC and amp.  Without those two, they have zero bass.  With my Matrix, however, the bass is actually quite punchy, it just lacks in volume a bit.  I still love them though.

If you are just looking for a good pair of headphones with bass and aren't planning to go all out on DACs and amps, then I have no problem recommending the D2000 to you.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 101
I am personally a fan of the AKG K-70x series. I prefer them to Denon. I found the AKG pairs very well with the Headroom Micro Amp. It's slightly warmer than neutral and add a nice bass weight when the crossfeed is turned on. With typical street pricing found on the Sales Forum it's a bargain to boot.

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #21 of 101
I think I'm gonna get the k702 if you guys tell me I can get better quality and good bass with an amp. So pretty much do you think the k702 sound better through the whole spectrum once you've plugged them into the right DAC amp? I tried the akg again and I did feel that some bass was lacking, especially without the amplifier :S but if it has a better bass quality it's just a matter of amp and EQ if necessary..or not? I really LOVE their detail and soundstage...I think I would regret it if I got the denon..I mean with the akg and a good amp I could get both things (bass impact and great quality) right?

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #22 of 101
You should get the k601 instead and spend the difference on an amp
normal_smile%20.gif

Seriously though, as long as the k701 is amped properly I think they should have enough bass. My k601 isn't really bass light and has enough for me. I've heard the k701 has even more bass, but I doubt it. I think they're probably the same.

I hate to say it, but someone looking for bass as a high priority might hate the k701 or k601, even amped. Even if you aren't a basshead. Just don't expect too much bass and you'll be fine. I haven't tried an EQ with my k701 or k601 and haven't felt like it needed them.

Love my D2000, but it's more of a fun headphone. Zero complaints about it yet (not even the mids!). You could always get both the D2000 and k701 and send back the loser!

D2000 and k601 (or k701) is a really good combination of headphones to have.

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #23 of 101
Thats exactly what happened when I tried out the D2000, I couldn't live without the K701's soundstage and detail.  The Denons have noticeably more bass, but I still find the K701 to have punchy bass when amped.  Its just not loud.  It is still a little bass shy, make no mistake, but it is much better than when it is ran unamped.  I listen to mostly electronica, and the bass sounds pretty good on most songs.  If you don't need really loud bass, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the K701.  With my music genre, however, I do need a lot of bass, so I'm looking at buying an Ultrasone Pro 900 or something.

Anyways,  best of luck in your decision.

Quote:
I think I'm gonna get the k702 if you guys tell me I can get better quality and good bass with an amp. So pretty much do you think the k702 sound better through the whole spectrum once you've plugged them into the right DAC amp? I tried the akg again and I did feel that some bass was lacking, especially without the amplifier :S but if it has a better bass quality it's just a matter of amp and EQ if necessary..or not? I really LOVE their detail and soundstage...I think I would regret it if I got the denon..I mean with the akg and a good amp I could get both things (bass impact and great quality) right?

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #24 of 101

Quote:
Two completely different headphones.

To get the best out of the K702 you need a decent source and amp and even then its really picky about what amp it needs to drive the headphone to its capability, its a very analytical headphone and would for sure suit Jazz and classical with the right gear, but remember its very picky.

The Denon D2000 is a fun sounding coloured headphone that can be driven by almost any decent headphone amp, good for r&b, soul, new soul, to sum it up the Denon D2000 is the easier of the two to drive and much less picky about what source and amp it needs.

True. The K702 is a bit forward sounding in the midrange while the D2000 is saggy. Yin and Yang

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #25 of 101
What is your source for listening to these? I would recommend you shy away from the k701 unless you really have a good set-up.

Edit: Sorry I should have given more information. Based on your selected genres I would not recommend the k701 line. This line is definitely "bass light" and very true to the recorded sound. In addition, if you don't have a decent source and amplifier, the k701 will seem muddy and unclear. The benefits of it show with a really solid system. So if you don't already have the set-up, you would be purchasing a k701 + amplifier, etc. etc..

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #26 of 101
Even if you get a warm-sounding amp, the bass in the AKGs will only be a bit stronger at best. An amp can't totally change the character of a headphone. Long story short - get the D2000s, or look for some other warm-sounding headphones. If you're confident in your Yamaha amp's ability to drive headphones, I suggest the HD650s.

Quote:
rhythmdevils said:

Check the picture of Quincy wearing the Q701.  He is wearing them backwards.  Do you think he really uses them every day, and yet doesn't know which side the cable goes on?  When you use a one side cable headphone for a while, it becomes instinctual and you don't even have to think about it.  Not to mention the angled pads.  Any K701 owner can tell you that it's not easy to put them on backwards.

I'm not saying you won't like the K701, you might love them.  But don't buy them because of Quincy- that's nothing but ruffle tuff.  It would be like buying a Nikon because Ashton Kutcher supposedly likes them. 

It's pretty obvious Quincy isn't familiar with the Q702s, despite the fact that his name is on them. Let's hope Dre doesn't make the same mistake.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #27 of 101

Quote:

No, you're expecting too much from amplification. K702 will never have the bass impact of D2000's. If you really want the best of both worlds I would look into different headphones. I think HD650 would be your safe bet.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #28 of 101
I tried the HD650, I don't know why but I just don't like them so much..sometimes I feel like the bass is making everything else kinda muttered, which is exactly what I fear with the denon. Maybe I should also tell you guys that next year I'm going into music (theory and composition) in university, so I might be working with these headphones in a studio in a few years..I'm not sure the denon are perfect reference headphones for studio use.
Another question: are the akg gonna get warmer after their burn-in time?

And last, I'm not looking for extra-punchy bass, just for a flat headphone that doesn't really lack any frequency

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #29 of 101
Get the Denon d2000 if you like lots of bass and just want to sit back and enjoy the music.
Get the k701 if you enjoy nice sound stage and being able to hear everything in the recording. You might not miss the lack of bass (bass reappears with a powerful amp) once you hear how clear and detailed they are compared to d2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back