Denon D2000 + HFI780 or Ultrasone PRO 900?
Sep 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kowalski74

New Head-Fier
I have 4 headphones at home:

1. Grado SR325is: for rock and metal
  2. K701: for classical, acoustic an soundtracks
  3. HFI-780: for games and movies (and rock)
  4. D2000: all-rounder headphone. For those days that you don't want to change the headphones.

But I would like to have only three headphones and I am thinking in selling the HFI 780 and D2000 and buy the Ultrasone PRO 900.
Has the pro 900 the bass impact of the HFI? Is the pro 900 as good as the HFI for movies and games? Is the pro 900 better than D2000? Is a good all-rounder headphone?

If the answers are "yes" then I think that it could be a good change. An overall better headphone instead of two lesser ones.

Thanks.

PD: sorry for my english 

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 6
I own the 900, have owned the 780, and have heard the the D2000, in my opinion "yes" to all 3 of your questions.
It's a different headphone, it is high resloving and detailed, and the bass is deep. Very deep.
I say go for it, seems like it would fit your needs nicely.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks, obzila,

It sounds great. I'll buy the Pro 900.

If you have the pro 900 and have owned the HFI780... Can you explain (briefly) the main differences and the advantages of the pro 900? Wich have more bass, more bass impact, more highs (brighter) or piercing highs, wider soundstage, etc.

Thank you very much.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 6
Heya,

Depends what you want. I sold the PRO900 and kept the D2000. Why? I love bass. But I'm a fan of sub bass, not just mid-bass. The PRO900 is all about mid-bass, it's impactful, slams you, but is limited in it's range, and at the same time, has pretty recessed mids. It's a good headphone for what it's meant for (bass) but is not good for a lot of genres that don't need bass and would rather have detailed mids that are forward, but ultimately there are two basshead cans... the PRO900 which is for mid-bass heads and the D2000 which is for sub-bass heads. I am the later. So the D2000 stays. The Denon is pretty flat all the way down, so your sub bass is just as loud as your mid bass and your mids. It doesn't bleed in and kill off the mids like the PRO900 does. Plus, it's just a better overall headphone for listening to all genres because of it's ability to keep it's mids. It's also pretty comfortable.

Very best,

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 6
You could just sell the HFI-780 and make up the price difference when getting the Pro 900. While by default the Pro 900 aren't all-rounders, they excel with EDM, handle metal quite well, and I most certainly disagree with the low bass extension claims posted previous. Although, there is more of a mid-bass emphasis, but that does not mean there isn't extension, just that it's less pronounced.

You seem to have a diverse headphone setup, and if you're satisfied with all of them so far, the best would be to upgrade the headphones that are closer to the Pro 900, which in this case would be the HFI-780, specially if they're a stock version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back