Denon AHD2000 Unboxed - Added pics!
Aug 7, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what I said but he won't hear distortion because he doesn't have an amp.

Why do you say that? I don't think not having an amp will prevent distortion.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you say that? I don't think not having an amp will prevent distortion.

Because amping provides current, without sufficient current you won't get distortion. Distortion only occurs when you provide them with too much of it, so if you don't have enough to begin with... something like that. I Had the D2000s similar to that when I tried them out of the PC and they didn't distort. Plug them into an amp with the same EQ and your plagued with distortion if you don't auto level.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #19 of 54
lolwow at RushNerd's d2000 EQ.
eek.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Because amping provides current, without sufficient current you won't get distortion. Distortion only occurs when you provide them with too much of it, so if you don't have enough to begin with... something like that. I Had the D2000s similar to that when I tried them out of the PC and they didn't distort. Plug them into an amp with the same EQ and your plagued with distortion if you don't auto level.

Although I don't know the technical knowledge, I would suspect that not supplying enough current to the headphone will also cause clipping. I'm purely going by experience when EQing with my soundcard.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I don't know the technical knowledge, I would suspect that not supplying enough current to the headphone will also cause clipping. I'm purely going by experience when EQing with my soundcard.

Yeah I'm with ya, just trying to explain to myself really why he would EQ like that and not hear distortion. I've never quite done it like that with the Denons but know they are completely different headphones when unamped, thats the only explanation I can think of.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #22 of 54
I know it looks extreme but you have to remember i'm just using my soundcard. Theres a lack of power going to the low-end so I have to bump it up usually, and i'll take lower volumes if it means increased bass response. Like I said, since I only have a SC, it's just a game of Bass Vs. Volume until it distorts. Usually it gets pretty loud that way, but on some of my more modern and bass-heavy recordings, that combo make it fairly quiet.

@Graphicism I don't know HOW to feel about flat EQ, I don't think I would usually be too fond of it, but i'll hold off on that until i'm able to hear what the DAC/Amp combo feels like.

The 32Hz filter is just too darn fun not to touch :O

@SchneiderStudios, nice video! Good way to show what the phones look like, too bad theres no way to show off how they sound :p

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 54
RushNerd, you are adding more boom to an already boomy headphone, What?
you probably have invented a new category, not basshead but boomhead....

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RushNerd, you are adding more boom to an already boomy headphone, What?
you probably have invented a new category, not basshead but boomhead....

Oh get off your high horse, I hardly consider A 32Hz boost "boom" that's well in the realm of very low end.

Am I wrong in assuming the overly used "Boomy" adjective is directed toward the over represented frequencies around the 100Hz band?

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Graphicism I don't know HOW to feel about flat EQ, I don't think I would usually be too fond of it, but i'll hold off on that until i'm able to hear what the DAC/Amp combo feels like.

It's beautiful, an untouched EQ is like an untouched virgin.
redface.gif

Seriously mate, do yourself a favor and buy a $100 Chinese amp, until you have one you haven't heard the D2000s.

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

It's beautiful, an untouched EQ is like an untouched virgin.
redface.gif

Seriously mate, do yourself a favor and buy a $100 Chinese amp, until you have one you haven't heard the D2000s.

I was going to hold out for the Headroom microstack, what do you think? I think it's a nice higher-end solution.

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm nice unboxing
smily_headphones1.gif
Where do you get all the money from to buy these? You seem to have done an unboxing everyday..

I robed a bank... I'll be home in 2 hours :)

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

You shouldn't have to compensate your headphones faults with EQ, this is the perfect EQ for my Ultrasones...

Recording studios are already EQ'ing most music releases so that they sound good on low-end speakers. You are deceiving yourself if you think you are somehow obtaining a pure (read: recording artist's intent) sound by not EQ'ing. Unless of course your equalizer of choice adds noise to the signal, then there is that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back