Denon AHD2000 Unboxed - Added pics!
Aug 6, 2009 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

SchneiderStudios

500+ Head-Fier
The Denon Ahd2000 came today and right out of the box they sounded better then the Ahd1001, but the Ahd1001 are more comfortable, portable and have a better cable.
I really dont like the thick cloth cable. both hp's are made from the same plastic, i thought the d2000 would have metal parts but thats not the case.

I can use higher Db all the way to the op without any distortion unlike the d1001 where they only go up to the second bar from 0 .
picture3nrx.png

Here is the unboxing:
Also d1001 side by side comparison.
YouTube - Denon AHD2000 Headphones Unboxing

Enjoy!

Pics:
dsc0739e.jpg

dsc0736.jpg

dsc0737s.jpg

dsc0738j.jpg

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 54
What do you think about the sound??? size??
I´m still somewhere between this and the Monster beats..Still dont know where to go :/

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 54
I don't think the D2000's and the Beats should even be compared... one sounds good the other sounds ok. The D2000's are much better. I dunno what is up with your D2000, but my D2000 has metal parts.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 54
Schneider, did Denon upgrade the cable that came with the D2000's cuz that cable in the video looks like a D5000 cable. The D2000 stock cable that came with mine was thin and tangly so i upgraded to a D5000 cable which looks exactly like the one in the vid down to the y-splitter.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can use higher Db all the way to the op without any distortion unlike the d1001 where they only go up to the second bar from 0 .
picture3nrx.png

You should never go above 0 dB, in fact +1 dB would add distortion if there properly amped... what amp and source are you using anyway?

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 54
Wow!! You got the D2000's now too? Great, I can't believe you don't think they are as comfortable though lol. I admit the cord is pretty bulky, but it beats a flimsy cord that will shortout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should never go above 0 dB, in fact +1 dB would add distortion if there properly amped... what amp and source are you using anyway?

I don't think he has a proper amp, does he? Anyway I don't know that anything above the 0db point on iTunes NECESSARILY means distortion. I know I have some quiet recordings on iTunes that require me to amp it up like that but I didn't hear distortion, while others will distort the moment they go bas 0db, anyone got more info on this?

As for the EQ, I know it's taste preference, but I suggest you only really mess with the first to bars and the last two bars, the rest should probably be neutral. Gotta love that 32Hz boost W/the Denon's!

Here's my typical EQ, I always favor the 32Hz filter over the 64Hz. With the soundcard amp, I usually have to play around with the bass so I have the maximum volume without distortion/clipping.
Untitled-1-2.jpg

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 54
There's no metal parts? You've got to be kidding me. Every pair of D2000's I've seen has had metal hinges. Is Denon reducing the build quality on the freshly manufactured pairs?

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 54
The D2000's have only one plastic part, its the cups (and some of the internal parts) But one of the MOST remarking things about the d2000's are the fact that they are built with increadible build quality. I'm looking at the two pairs I have right now, and I have to say they are some of my favorite cans compared to the hd580, hd600, hd650, akg k701, dt770, grado sr60, 80, 125, 225, ms2i, gs1000's. And even comparing it among my se530 and my now gone um3x, w3, er4p/s, and monster turbines. I got a chance to hear the Beats at an apple store, sorry they're nowhere near the level of the d2000's.

The D2000's are completely removed from the "closed can" feel and sound, to be honest everytime I put them on I have to remind myself that they are in fact closed. The beats cannot even compare in this respect (but to be fair neither do the dt's and some iems).

Oh but I wished they used real leather, this pleather stuff has got to go.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the EQ, I know it's taste preference, but I suggest you only really mess with the first to bars and the last two bars, the rest should probably be neutral. Gotta love that 32Hz boost W/the Denon's!

Here's my typical EQ, I always favor the 32Hz filter over the 64Hz. With the soundcard amp, I usually have to play around with the bass so I have the maximum volume without distortion/clipping.
Untitled-1-2.jpg

You shouldn't have to compensate your headphones faults with EQ, this is the perfect EQ for my Ultrasones...

eq.jpg

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 54
I don't EQ my Denon's, or any phones.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 54
Eww.. there's no excuse for preamp being additive.. it should always be subtractive and in the negatives equaling the magnitude the highest additive band being equalized (i.e. if 60Hz is +11dB, preamp should be -11dB).

Reports on the D2000 build quality seem to be all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back