Denon AH-MM400
Mar 20, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #316 of 1,435
The modded V moda cable stays very securely attached to the headphones. A minute ago I did the same with a different V moda cable (the one with the mic) and the result is identical. Perfect fit. The only disappointing part is that the silver trim around the ear pads and the silver part around the female jack of the headphones are actually plastic. I even noticed 2-3 small scratches around the headphones jack. Nothing serious of course but I expected more from Denon.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #317 of 1,435
OK guys... don't kill me.. but I just sold my M400s... Awesome headphones for the money but just so many others I want to try out.  Have a set of Sony XBA A3 on order.  Want to see if I can get an IEM with a decent soundstage and feel of a larger headphone.  Been really interesting reading this thread and will continue to monitor things, especially interested in how cables go.. they felt quite poor compared to the Z7s I used.  Keep enjoying the Denons!

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #318 of 1,435
OK guys... don't kill me.. but I just sold my M400s... Awesome headphones for the money but just so many others I want to try out.  Have a set of Sony XBA A3 on order.  Want to see if I can get an IEM with a decent soundstage and feel of a larger headphone.  Been really interesting reading this thread and will continue to monitor things, especially interested in how cables go.. they felt quite poor compared to the Z7s I used.  Keep enjoying the Denons!
It will be exciting to see how your hunt goes. Keep us posted. At least you enjoyed them while you had them :)

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #320 of 1,435
Has anyone compared the MM400 to B&W P7's?  I've been using P7's for 18 months and love them but I'm always looking.  The MM400 looks outstanding and I've been wanting to try Denon.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #321 of 1,435
I found these way more comfy than the M100. Are you sure you don't actually want to try listening to them and keeping them on your head till you confirm you actually have discomfort issues?

I tried them all weekend.  Sound is excellent!  Very happy with that but the fit is just not going to make me happy so back to Amazon they go.  I'll stick with the Denon AH-A100 I bought while waiting for the MM400 to arrive for my portable usage. 

Here's to hoping Denon comes out with a full size headphone that would make the DX000 series proud! 

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #322 of 1,435
  Has anyone compared the MM400 to B&W P7's?  I've been using P7's for 18 months and love them but I'm always looking.  The MM400 looks outstanding and I've been wanting to try Denon.

I prefer the mm400's to the p7's. Comfort for me personally on my worn in p7's was about equal and the isolation might've been a hair worse but the sound was nicer. Much tighter bass and they sound much more natural than the p7's do. They also look nicer and don't slip off my head as easy. Seems that comfort can be a hit or miss with the mm400's though, if they fit you they'll be extremely comfortable, if they don't fit you then well... looks like you're out of luck! I think it's mostly just down to how shallow the pads are though, they definitely aren't as deep as the p7's are, that's for sure.

I'm personally selling my p7's now that I have my mm400's though, listened to them one more time after getting the denons to compare and then decided they were going. No regrets!

I tried them all weekend.  Sound is excellent!  Very happy with that but the fit is just not going to make me happy so back to Amazon they go.  I'll stick with the Denon AH-A100 I bought while waiting for the MM400 to arrive for my portable usage. 

Here's to hoping Denon comes out with a full size headphone that would make the DX000 series proud! 

Too bad they didn't fit well, they do sound very nice and I personally find them very comfortable!

We'll see how well they compare to the pm-3's though, still need to go and check them out... 

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #323 of 1,435

I prefer the mm400's to the p7's. Comfort for me personally on my worn in p7's was about equal and the isolation might've been a hair worse but the sound was nicer. Much tighter bass and they sound much more natural than the p7's do. They also look nicer and don't slip off my head as easy. Seems that comfort can be a hit or miss with the mm400's though, if they fit you they'll be extremely comfortable, if they don't fit you then well... looks like you're out of luck! I think it's mostly just down to how shallow the pads are though, they definitely aren't as deep as the p7's are, that's for sure.

I'm personally selling my p7's now that I have my mm400's though, listened to them one more time after getting the denons to compare and then decided they were going. No regrets!

Thanks for the feedback.  Pushing on my P7's I have depth to spare and the cups do around me ear as well.  So hopefully the MM400's would fit me.  I'm hoping Best Buy starts stocking these bad boys at Magnolia stores.  Maybe next time my P7's need replacement under my Best Buy warranty I can swap for the Denon's instead.  So far I have broken 1 headband and blown one driver on P7's.  Definitely glad I got the warranty on these!  Yet I've tried at least 5 other similar cans and haven't found a replacement.  Actually I should sell my HD650's and my Studio 2.0 Wireless and get something new.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #324 of 1,435

His set is actually on its way to me haha. I ordered the vmoda audio only cable as well, so hopefully both arrive at sametime.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #325 of 1,435

Too bad they didn't fit well, they do sound very nice and I personally find them very comfortable!

We'll see how well they compare to the pm-3's though, still need to go and check them out... 

i find the p7 to be a little bit uncomfortable, are the ear-pads on the mm400 taller compared to the p7? my lobule don't fit all the way in the p7

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #328 of 1,435
I an going to do comparison between Bowers and Wilkins P7, MM400 and German Maestro 8.35D. I have large head and large ears and find MM400 very comfortable the first 2 hours. After that is average. P7 is a little bit uncomfortable to me but nothung major. The build is definitely better than MM400. With MM400 there are very loud sounds from the headband every time I am pressing the headband or try to put on the head and when I expand the headband sliders it forms a hump inside the headband on the left side and I can feel with my hand that some part inside is pressing against the artificial leather of the headband from inside. Not sure how to fix it. Tank God is not that obvious. When I close the slider the hump is disappearing. On the right side is fine. And both sliders work equally fine. Also, there are 2-3 small scratches next to the headphone female jack. You can not really notice them unless you try very hard. The sound is much and I mean much more balanced than P7 to my ears. It is great in every aspect. The lows are mixed well inside the music regardless of the genre and their quality is much better than P7. Also the treble is not harsh compared to P7. In simple words, MM400 are a keeper. When I listened to music from my phone Note 4, denons sounded more alive and exciting than my German Maestro 8.35D. Also the bass was much better and the mids were tighter. The highs were equally good. But when I plugged them into my neighbor's Ibasso DX90 everything changed. Out of the water the Maestros sounded just as good as the Denons with almost identical sound signature (this was a shock). But the Maestros have a little bit better details. It was actually very minor difference. When I EQ them (same EQ presets) the Maestros destroyed the Denons completely in every way and track. The test showed me that the Maestros are the better headphone sound wise but not the best overall package. They are more demanding from what source they play compared to Denons, not foldable and the clamping pressure is much higher. MM400 is so much more presentable and beautiful. The Maestros are indeed hands down the ugliest (really ugly!!) and best sounding (I like them more than HD650 or the Alpha Dogs) HP I've heard.  

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #329 of 1,435
Just wanted to let everyone know that the AH-MM400's are now finally in stock and available in the U.S. from Amazon.com! 
beyersmile.png

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-MM400-Maniac-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00NWROP5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1427261505&sr=1-1&keywords=Denon+AH-MM400

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #330 of 1,435
So got my set from cyrusgod today, quick impressions:

Comfort: Feels good on the head, perfect pressure and doesn't get hot (yet).
Build: Seems solid to me
Cable: This is what's annoying.  The stock cable with mic because its TRS, doesn't play nice with my Cayin N6.  To get stereo sound out of it, I had to manually hold it in place.  Good thing I bought a set of Vmoda audio only cables. And as another member did, you have to trim a bit of the rubber to get it to fit, but two things I did notice the overall db levels went up with the vmoda cables.  My scientific hypothesis is not that the cables are necessary better quality wise, but because its straight thru cable and don't have to run through the mic circuitry, theres less ohm resistance, hence it increases overall sensitivity while reducing the ohm impedance. 

Sound: again this is just quick impressions vs. my current office cans (Sony MDR-SA5000)
Bass: It actually has more slam and tighter bass presentation which is great
Mids: It sounds a bit recessed compared to the SA5k, but then, the 5k's are the most analytical/neutral cans I've heard
Highs: I'd say its neither good or bad, but its none fatiguing or bright which is always good
Imaging: Because of the recessed mids, I actually felt the ability to pick out instruments is a bit lacking here
SoundStage: It's quite a bit smaller compared to the SA5k and my Lawton modded Denon AH-D5000 at home

Signature: I'll compare it with my D5000's tonight when I get home from work.

Depending on my schedule, I may drive to Oppo HQ tomorrow and compare it with the PM-3.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back