Denon AH-MM400
Mar 19, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #301 of 1,435
Please please please do a comparison between EL8 and the MM400!!!

Hah, well, if Kupleh's impression of PM3 being better than the MM400, then it ain't going to happen 
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #302 of 1,435
Agreed, very much looking forward to PM3 vs. MM400 impressions.  Just ordered the Audeze EL-8, but still need a pair for portability, and struggling between PM3 and MM400 :)
So I've gone to the PM3 thread and there are discussions around excessive clamp force, intermittent static from the drivers and the fact the ear cups are plastic. People are also saying they sound completely different from their siblings, which was the part I was excited about, the prospect of PM1 or PM2 sound in a much cheaper package. Hard to judge without listening for myself. In either case though, I am going to make a brave call here and say for the money, the Denons are the ones to keep. Won't stop me from following the ongoing discussions in the other thread mind you :)

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #303 of 1,435
Of course, everyone's definition is different. To me, in a very general sense, over-ear means that it's the most comfortable, meaning nothing is touching my ears. 
Interestingly enough, I find headphones whose ear cups too big disengaging for some reason. I had that feel with the AH-D2000. They just felt like they didn't have enough clamp force to create a seal which meant I felt that bass was always hit and miss.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #305 of 1,435
Interestingly enough, I find headphones whose ear cups too big disengaging for some reason. I had that feel with the AH-D2000. They just felt like they didn't have enough clamp force to create a seal which meant I felt that bass was always hit and miss.

I completely agree. Perhaps a headphone that allows you to adjust the depth of the driver/cup? :wink:

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #306 of 1,435
Well pulled the trigger and ordered the MM400's from ebay.  Once i get them will see how they stack up to my Lawton full modded AH-D5000.  As the EL8 haven't shipped yet I won't be able to compare that.   I'll probably drive 30 minutes to Oppo headquarter in Mt.View to check out PM3 still.  From extrapolating all feedback for PM3 and MM400 vs. say Z7, H6, etc.. it seems the two phones at the very least offer excellent SQ, comfort and portability.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #309 of 1,435
  Well pulled the trigger and ordered the MM400's from ebay.  Once i get them will see how they stack up to my Lawton full modded AH-D5000.  As the EL8 haven't shipped yet I won't be able to compare that.   I'll probably drive 30 minutes to Oppo headquarter in Mt.View to check out PM3 still.  From extrapolating all feedback for PM3 and MM400 vs. say Z7, H6, etc.. it seems the two phones at the very least offer excellent SQ, comfort and portability.

Please please please post your comparison between EL8 and the MM400! I don't really care about the micro-detail, just the sound signatures in each departments, along with isolation and such. Thanks! :D

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #310 of 1,435
$550aud for the pm-3's is a fairly huge amount compared to the under $400aud I paid for the denons. Even if they are better, they'd have to offer something pretty unique to be worth over 150 more! That said, I could probably resell the denons for about as much as I got them for and it would still be ~100 cheaper than people can currently get them for here in aus. They're still in mint condition of course.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #311 of 1,435
$550aud for the pm-3's is a fairly huge amount compared to the under $400aud I paid for the denons. Even if they are better, they'd have to offer something pretty unique to be worth over 150 more! That said, I could probably resell the denons for about as much as I got them for and it would still be ~100 cheaper than people can currently get them for here in aus. They're still in mint condition of course

$400 AUD for denon's wow, thats only $311 USD, so it seems the retail price for mm400 are really low.   

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #312 of 1,435
Got mine a bit early surprisingly today.  Nice way to end the week.................

So to me the pads are way too small in ear opening as well as depth.  More so than even the stock V-moda M100. 

Have not heard them yet but will tomorrow morning but because of the pad issue they will either go back to Amazon or if someone here wants them I'll sell them to you. 

Comfort is king to me so they won't make the cut for me, plus I just got a pair of the AH-A100 portables and they are going to fit my need for portables which these were purchased for. 

PM me if interested. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #313 of 1,435
Hello.I just got my brand new Denon MM400. Initially I thought the sound was very good but nothing extraordinary. I managed to install V Moda cable. You have to trim a little bit of the outer rubber behind the 3.5 mm plug. Underneath there is hard plastic the plug is connected to. You just have to push the blade a little bit inside the rubber and to cut around the full diameter . After that you can remove the rubber piece even with your bare hands:). It is very easy. Back to the sound. With the V Moda cable the sound is much fuller and exciting and definitely louder as well. I hope I helped. Enjoy:) 

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #314 of 1,435
Got mine a bit early surprisingly today.  Nice way to end the week.................

So to me the pads are way too small in ear opening as well as depth.  More so than even the stock V-moda M100. 

Have not heard them yet but will tomorrow morning but because of the pad issue they will either go back to Amazon or if someone here wants them I'll sell them to you. 

Comfort is king to me so they won't make the cut for me, plus I just got a pair of the AH-A100 portables and they are going to fit my need for portables which these were purchased for. 

PM me if interested. 
I found these way more comfy than the M100. Are you sure you don't actually want to try listening to them and keeping them on your head till you confirm you actually have discomfort issues?

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #315 of 1,435
$550aud for the pm-3's is a fairly huge amount compared to the under $400aud I paid for the denons. Even if they are better, they'd have to offer something pretty unique to be worth over 150 more! That said, I could probably resell the denons for about as much as I got them for and it would still be ~100 cheaper than people can currently get them for here in aus. They're still in mint condition of course.
Keep in mind you were lucky enough to be in Japan in order to get the AU$400 price tag if I remember correctly. I am also guessing the Denons, once/if they are sold locally in Australia will probably sell even higher than the price I paid to get them imported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back