Denon AH-MM400
Mar 11, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #271 of 1,435
  Haven't heard the Oppo PM-3. In my opinion, the MM400's out-do the B&O Beoplay H6 hands-down. I listened to the H6 for about 20 minutes in a quiet environment and did not personally enjoy their sound. They just felt lacking overall for me. In fact, on the day, I walked away with the Marshall Monitor which was almost half the price. I own those till now for on-the-road. I keep the Denons at home.

Thanks Romani for the response.  How's sound leakage with MM400?

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #272 of 1,435

Purchased mine yesterday and I am spending they day at work trying them out. Still deciding if they are keepers. 

There is no question that these are amazing headphones, even my wife who usually doesn't show any interest about my nerd stuff said that she was keeping them after trying them out for 2 minutes. Thats gotta count for something.

Amazing build quality, honestly... Just amazing. Fit and comfort is better than anything I have ever tried.

I am not ready to really comment on soundquality, of course it is really good but I am trying to get used to the somewhat closed soundstage. I knew this was gonna happen since I have the X1's and before that the Q701's and going from open to closed can be a bit jarring.

It does seem like it is much easier to tell how a song "should" sound. With the X1's every song sounds more or less the same: pretty large, wide and "airy". With the Denons some songs sound really close and intimate while all of a sudden some other song just really opens up the soundstage and "space"

Will try with gaming and movies tonight.

If anybody has questions or want more pictures let me know and I will try and help, thread already has great info and amazing pics, it really helped me in deciding to try these out.

Interested to see how you're tracking with these. Good bad or ugly?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dude, here it comes... I returned them! I just didn't wanna crash this great thread with my negativity :)

Honestly, these were amazing headphones in every way possible. Problem for me was that I already owned the Philips X1 which I was happy with, in the end I just didn't feel that it was worth the upgrade for around 400 euros (swedish price). So no complaints about the headphone itself, I would not be surprised if I end up with the Denon's some time in the future.

I don't think the X1's are better than Denon's, I just found that it wasn't worth it for me. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #274 of 1,435
Dude, here it comes... I returned them! I just didn't wanna crash this great thread with my negativity :)

Honestly, these were amazing headphones in every way possible. Problem for me was that I already owned the Philips X1 which I was happy with, in the end I just didn't feel that it was worth the upgrade for around 400 euros (swedish price). So no complaints about the headphone itself, I would not be surprised if I end up with the Denon's some time in the future.

I don't think the X1's are better than Denon's, I just found that it wasn't worth it for me. 
It is always good to get perspective. Not everyone will class these their ideal headphone or ones worth keeping. It seems like you liked them but not enough to spend the extra on top of your X1's to keep them, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just feeling a bit responsible for the inconvenience considering you seemed to get them off the back of the things I had to say in my review.

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #275 of 1,435
It is always good to get perspective. Not everyone will class these their ideal headphone or ones worth keeping. It seems like you liked them but not enough to spend the extra on top of your X1's to keep them, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just feeling a bit responsible for the inconvenience considering you seemed to get them off the back of the things I had to say in my review.

No worries :) It was quick and painless, went and picked them up, made sure that there would be no issues if I wanted to return them. Had them for 3 days, took them back to the store. It might sound like it was an easy decision though, it was not. I went back and forth many, many times in those 3 days.

As I said before, they are without a doubt good headphones, if my X1's would break right now I would get the Denon's without thinking twice about it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #276 of 1,435
No worries :) It was quick and painless, went and picked them up, made sure that there would be no issues if I wanted to return them. Had them for 3 days, took them back to the store. It might sound like it was an easy decision though, it was not. I went back and forth many, many times in those 3 days.

As I said before, they are without a doubt good headphones, if my X1's would break right now I would get the Denon's without thinking twice about it.
If it was painless enough, then all good. Sounds like they could be your next pair indeed. Since the X1's are ones I previously considered, can you tell me how they compare in sound to the MM400s?

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #277 of 1,435
Anyone compared vs the following $400 headphones:
1. B&O Beoplay H6
2. Oppo PM-3

I'm deciding between m400, pm-3 and H6.  all three are exactly at $400.

I auditioned the denons side by side with the h6, I also decided the denons were nicer. They had better isolation, nicer looks, we're cheaper where I bought them and also had a nicer sound. It felt more refined compared to the h6 imo, a bit more relaxed and natural sounding.

Edit: should mention I actually did really enjoy the h6's as well and they were a tad more comfortable, felt lighter on the head than the denons.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #281 of 1,435
  Does anybody know if the ear pads are replaceable? One of the reviews here said they didn't look like it, but he wasn't 100% sure.

They certainly seem like they are - I can pull on them outwards enough that I can see the edge of the pad that usually wraps around the cup to keep them on. I don't want to pull it all the way off just in case they're a pain to put back on though, someone else can try that out.

That said, I think I did see somewhere that they're not supposed to be removable. Might've even been the manual that came with the headphones. I'll look it up tomorrow and reply back.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #282 of 1,435
I got the MM400 for about 2 days now.

It's a mixed bag for me so far, and I wanted to like it more than I do right now.

Things I like,
- strong mid bass that does not blend into the mids, and combined with the forward treble can make some songs/genre very energetic
- very nice build and very portable

Things I don't like
- I don't know if this is just the Denon's sound signature as the MM400 is my first pair of Denons, but it sounds a little harsh and cold to me, especially listening to female vocal. 
- Although the treble can make certain songs very energetic, it certainly hinders a lot of other songs
- the comfort and the fit...I really don't think these should qualify as over-ear headphones. The cups are not enough to cover my average/slightly-larger ears and the cups are not deep enough as my ears are touching the driver. 
- Isolation, it's good, but not great.

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #283 of 1,435
Care to name a few tunes which you feel are hindered?

As for not being over ear - that's funny - just today I stumbled on a thread in the On-ear/Portables forum that covers this headphone, albeit as part of the family of MM phones - the 200 and 300 models being unquestionably on ears.

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #284 of 1,435
  Care to name a few tunes which you feel are hindered?

As for not being over ear - that's funny - just today I stumbled on a thread in the On-ear/Portables forum that covers this headphone, albeit as part of the family of MM phones - the 200 and 300 models being unquestionably on ears.

Piece by Piece (2015) - new Kelly Clarkson album. Treble on that album is very strong with the MM400. Also if you listen to classical music, violin feels artificial.

It shouldn't be over ear...the cups are so shallow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back