Denon AH-MM400
Mar 7, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #241 of 1,435

...it is this small piece of metal, you can see it better from the outside when folding the phone...

Actually this piece is on the left and right can, and if you move it a little it makes this sound on either side. It is just slightly more loose on the right side, so it makes this clicking sound when shaking the phone. I do not feel disturbed. If it wasn't mentioned here I wouldn't have recognized it.

If you feel disturbed, you could try to apply a very little bit of grease (e.g. Shimano Workshop Grease) inside the gap on either side of that metal piece; That should dampen the "rattling" well enough.

I found the rattle/clicking to be very annoying, to the point that I was being careful not to move my head while wearing the headphones. So I tried the above suggestion and applied a tiny bit of grease. Problem solved :).

!!!HOOOORAY!!!

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #244 of 1,435

...hmmm... true,at the moment the AH-MM400 gets (or gives?) far more quality time than the AH-D7100. This is mainly owed to 4 facts:

• the MM400 still has the excitement of a new toy....
  • the short cable and smaller size makes it comfortable to have the MM400 combined with the AK100II for listening sessions in bed, reading some book (...yes, admitted, I am one of those old fashioned guys, still reading books, using mechanical watches and listening to LPs...)
  • I love the MM400's haptics (wood and metal)
  • Independent from the question which one might be "the better" one, both of those cans are a looooot of fun.

So one thing is fore sure, the MM400 is enough joy not to miss anything while you listen to it. Still, when then changing to the D7100 it becomes immediately obvious that there is more... more detail, more transparency, more dynamics, more focused sound sources, bigger sound-stage, and now the most controversial part about the D7100: more deep bass. Just now listening to Thomas Dolby's "Mulu the rain forest" and "I scare myself"... a perfect combination of substance and transparence... wow.

As such, in absolute sound-terms, the D-7100 clearly remains on the pole position; but due to the fact that the MM400 individually is such a pleasure to deal with, I will happily use it whenever the situation calls for...

Got my MM400s. V good headphones. Much warmer as you said than the D600s. I hope my mind is not playing tricks on me but during the first 5-10 hours of burning in, the sound of the cans changed alot. TBH it sounded a bit muffled right out the box. But after around 10 hours, they have opened up alot.

Hopefully Musikaladin is right and they just continue to improve further. But very impressed so far - sub bass still there, smooth mids, some treble sparkle. Reasonably accurate soundstage. Coherence quite good (for now). 

Musikaladin, I am going to sound crazy but during the burn-in process do you notice that headphones goes through cycles of better then worse then better etc? I don't know if it's just my ears playing tricks or i am picking up the cans at different times of the day but I think I noticed this with a few cans in the past and this pair too.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #245 of 1,435
  Got my MM400s. V good headphones. Much warmer as you said than the D600s. I hope my mind is not playing tricks on me but during the first 5-10 hours of burning in, the sound of the cans changed alot. TBH it sounded a bit muffled right out the box. But after around 10 hours, they have opened up alot.

Hopefully Musikaladin is right and they just continue to improve further. But very impressed so far - sub bass still there, smooth mids, some treble sparkle. Reasonably accurate soundstage. Coherence quite good (for now).

Musikaladin, I am going to sound crazy but during the burn-in process do you notice that headphones goes through cycles of better then worse then better etc? I don't know if it's just my ears playing tricks or i am picking up the cans at different times of the day but I think I noticed this with a few cans in the past and this pair too.

...I know what you mean. I also experienced this effect of "to the better- / to the worse- / to the better-... cycles" along break-in... but not with the AH-MM400.

But I have to say that I simply may have missed that cycles out, because as I mentioned I do some break-in with white and pink noise. I started this immediately after I got them. So I had a first encounter at  0 hrs, which was pretty much as you explained your first impression above. As mentioned in the review (just one paragraph below the pics with the folded MM400), my first serious impressions were then gathered already beyond 20 hrs of break in with noise...

I am really looking forward to hear about your and Romani's experience over time with the MM400. To me it was (and still might be, who knows) a nice journey of discovering more and more subtle improvements in sound quality...

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #246 of 1,435

...I know what you mean. I also experienced this effect of "to the better- / to the worse- / to the better-... cycles" along break-in... but not with the AH-MM400.

But I have to say that I simply may have missed that cycles out, because as I mentioned I do some break-in with white and pink noise. I started this immediately after I got them. So I had a first encounter at  0 hrs, which was pretty much as you explained your first impression above. As mentioned in the review (just one paragraph below the pics with the folded MM400), my first serious impressions were then gathered already beyond 20 hrs of break in with noise...

I am really looking forward to hear about your and Romani's experience over time with the MM400. To me it was (and still might be, who knows) a nice journey of discovering more and more subtle improvements in sound quality...

Honestly to me, this is not about cyclic break-in as much as it is about what you throw at these cans. I know people say this with cans all the time..."I am hearing things I have never heard before". To me, these are not only about that. They are about giving uniqueness to what is played through them. I have had a hard time trying to adequately relay this so I will attempt to do so again :)

You could have a lossless file that is recorded in a very average recording environment. The way the track was mastered meant the instruments were close together, the soundstage was narrow. These will show you that. These don't attempt to enhance the track you give them in order to sound a particular way. I have heard tracks that sound predictable on prior cans sound only average through these. By the same token, I have heard tracks that were well recorded just shine through these in a way I haven't heard prior. I am talking about engaging jaw dropping stuff, not just "this sounds good". I have never heard headphones that bring that out in individual tracks as much as these. This is why I suspect what I am reading here is not cyclic. It is about people thinking that the cans sound just ok one day (depending on what they're listening to) versus amazing the next.

As time goes by, the better these get. They are opening up . But as I also mentioned in my review, the Fiio X5 gives these a warmer presentation. Connect it to the Z2 or Roland Quad Capture and you're talking about a much flatter yet still dynamic sound coming out of these. I am still crazy about them after having about 50 listening hours with them. Still no buyer's remorse other than the very average looking Denon cables that come in the box and the rattling in the right ear cup. Both easily fixed if they impacted me enough to warrant me doing something about them.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #247 of 1,435
Couldn't agree more, Romani!

Some songs I've played with these cans have just been absolutely fantastic. Easily the best I've ever heard them even though I've played them through some technically better headphones. They just seem to have a really nice pairing with some songs. It's really hard to describe it properly, I've never really experienced it with any other headphones...

I've also found that the mm400's have a really great synergy with my apex glacier too. The apex glacier has a very fast and clean sound which combined with the more relaxed and slightly warm mm400's is just a real toe tapping combination. I also tried it with my cayin c5 which has been great with my other headphones but I found it just sounds too warm and slow in comparison. Must be the first combo I've found with the c5 that I didn't actually like very much!

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #250 of 1,435
  Couldn't agree more, Romani!

Some songs I've played with these cans have just been absolutely fantastic. Easily the best I've ever heard them even though I've played them through some technically better headphones. They just seem to have a really nice pairing with some songs. It's really hard to describe it properly, I've never really experienced it with any other headphones...

...I guess Denon will take it as a compliment...

In the last paragraph of my review I wrote:

"(...) the music is flowing with a wonderful ease. And, if the recording is giving it, it really kind of excites the ear-drums in a most enjoyable way; it kind of tickles on your your ear-drums.(...)"

Not sure, but we might try to express the same thing here... as you said, hard to describe...

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #251 of 1,435
I just had these headphones but I'm returning them. The treble sounded to forward and the cans are a little small. I prefer the sound of the d600 so until I find a suitable replacement I'll still to them. I'm by no means an audiophile maybe the m400 were too much lol I prefer treble slightly recessed.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #252 of 1,435
I just had these headphones but I'm returning them. The treble sounded to forward and the cans are a little small. I prefer the sound of the d600 so until I find a suitable replacement I'll still to them. I'm by no means an audiophile maybe the m400 were too much lol I prefer treble slightly recessed.

Interesting comment, can you compare the MM400 to the D600? and also could you provide a few of the tracks that you listen to when you compare these? Thanks! :)

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #254 of 1,435

Interesting comment, can you compare the MM400 to the D600? and also could you provide a few of the tracks that you listen to when you compare these? Thanks! :)

I mainly play hip how tracks or pop tracks. I used to have the d2000 excellent headphones but the treble seemed to high no tired my ears, however bass and sound stage was amazing. Iv tried sennheiser Momentum didn't like them small fit and lack of deep bass. Then d600 came I loved them two gripes though I don't like the look and not that good sound stage. So I thought I get the m400 to my suprise they are quite small. The d600 sound more fun to me. The m400 has better more controlled bass but the treble seemed to forward. I knocked down the treble on my fiio e07k dac but after half an hour my ears ache. I think I prefer a warmer sound which I get from the d600. If I could find a better looking and better sound stage id change headphones. But the m400 seemed too bright for me.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #255 of 1,435
I mainly play hip how tracks or pop tracks. I used to have the d2000 excellent headphones but the treble seemed to high no tired my ears, however bass and sound stage was amazing. Iv tried sennheiser Momentum didn't like them small fit and lack of deep bass. Then d600 came I loved them two gripes though I don't like the look and not that good sound stage. So I thought I get the m400 to my suprise they are quite small. The d600 sound more fun to me. The m400 has better more controlled bass but the treble seemed to forward. I knocked down the treble on my fiio e07k dac but after half an hour my ears ache. I think I prefer a warmer sound which I get from the d600. If I could find a better looking and better sound stage id change headphones. But the m400 seemed too bright for me.

Thanks for your input! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back