Denon AH-MM400
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #226 of 1,435
I have used pink noise in the past, just used a 10h youtube video and left my headphones aside but I've been enjoying these headphones so much that they're just getting burnt in from me using them a lot each for music or a few games or a movie or two. I'm liking them more and more each time I use them - really happy with my purchase!

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #227 of 1,435
  I have used pink noise in the past, just used a 10h youtube video and left my headphones aside but I've been enjoying these headphones so much that they're just getting burnt in from me using them a lot each for music or a few games or a movie or two. I'm liking them more and more each time I use them - really happy with my purchase!

...isn't that the best that could happen in relation to this hobby... you buy a product you are immediately smitten with, and from there it improves, improves and improves even more...
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #228 of 1,435
I have never done this myself. I go down the old school route of playing as much music as I can of as many different genres as possible at reasonably high volumes. I find using this method (if you can even call it that) will tend to settle the headphones over time (within the first month). No idea where to get these white and pink noise files from and if they really achieve what is intended.

Boom! These are about as pure as you can get. Files are in Apple Lossless to maintain the extremely high quality, but anyone should be able to convert them to FLAC or some other high bitrate format.
  1. Arithmetic Sine
  2. Logarithmic Sine
  3. Pink Noise
  4. White Noise

In between listenings, I'll usually run a loop of the logarithmic sine and pink noise on new cans while I'm sleeping or away at work until they have about 300-400 hours on them.

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #229 of 1,435

Boom! These are about as pure as you can get. Files are in Apple Lossless to maintain the extremely high quality, but anyone should be able to convert them to FLAC or some other high bitrate format.
  1. Arithmetic Sine
  2. Logarithmic Sine
  3. Pink Noise
  4. White Noise

In between listenings, I'll usually run a loop of the logarithmic sine and pink noise on new cans while I'm sleeping or away at work until they have about 300-400 hours on them.

I can only describe this post as super awesomeness.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #230 of 1,435
Can anyone please compare these to the shure 1540? Ahhh I just ordered them haha I couldn't help myself. Saw them right before I was about to buy the p7 and bought them 30 minutes after reading because of an ebay deal that saved me forty bucks on them. Anyways any direct comparisons to the shures? How is the detail and imaging?

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #231 of 1,435

...isn't that the best that could happen in relation to this hobby... you buy a product you are immediately smitten with, and from there it improves, improves and improves even more...
beerchug.gif

Yup, essentially, this way I get to enjoy my burning in period as well! 
biggrin.gif

I assume there's no real difference using in using noise compared to music when you're burning in headphones though. It's hard enough to prove that burn in actually changes the sound let alone different sounds being more or less effective...

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #232 of 1,435

1. Arithmetic Sine
  2. Logarithmic Sine
  3. Pink Noise
  4. White Noise

Love your work. I will give these samples a bash when I am not obsessing having them on my head :)

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #233 of 1,435

...this headphone is really AMAZING! Against my expectations, even between 120 and 200 hours of break-in, it still improves. More details here, in the latest update (5PS) at the bottom of my review.

(...)

I wonder how much time from now on you will spend with your MM400 vs D7100 as it seems that you love the MM400 so much!

(...)

...hmmm... true,at the moment the AH-MM400 gets (or gives?) far more quality time than the AH-D7100. This is mainly owed to 4 facts:

• the MM400 still has the excitement of a new toy....
  • the short cable and smaller size makes it comfortable to have the MM400 combined with the AK100II for listening sessions in bed, reading some book (...yes, admitted, I am one of those old fashioned guys, still reading books, using mechanical watches and listening to LPs...)
  • I love the MM400's haptics (wood and metal)
  • Independent from the question which one might be "the better" one, both of those cans are a looooot of fun.

So one thing is fore sure, the MM400 is enough joy not to miss anything while you listen to it. Still, when then changing to the D7100 it becomes immediately obvious that there is more... more detail, more transparency, more dynamics, more focused sound sources, bigger sound-stage, and now the most controversial part about the D7100: more deep bass. Just now listening to Thomas Dolby's "Mulu the rain forest" and "I scare myself"... a perfect combination of substance and transparence... wow.

As such, in absolute sound-terms, the D-7100 clearly remains on the pole position; but due to the fact that the MM400 individually is such a pleasure to deal with, I will happily use it whenever the situation calls for...

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #235 of 1,435

...hmmm... true,at the moment the AH-MM400 gets (or gives?) far more quality time than the AH-D7100. This is mainly owed to 4 facts:

• the MM400 still has the excitement of a new toy....
  • the short cable and smaller size makes it comfortable to have the MM400 combined with the AK100II for listening sessions in bed, reading some book (...yes, admitted, I am one of those old fashioned guys, still reading books, using mechanical watches and listening to LPs...)
  • I love the MM400's haptics (wood and metal)
  • Independent from the question which one might be "the better" one, both of those cans are a looooot of fun.

So one thing is fore sure, the MM400 is enough joy not to miss anything while you listen to it. Still, when then changing to the D7100 it becomes immediately obvious that there is more... more detail, more transparency, more dynamics, more focused sound sources, bigger sound-stage, and now the most controversial part about the D7100: more deep bass. Just now listening to Thomas Dolby's "Mulu the rain forest" and "I scare myself"... a perfect combination of substance and transparence... wow.

As such, in absolute sound-terms, the D-7100 clearly remains on the pole position; but due to the fact that the MM400 individually is such a pleasure to deal with, I will happily use it whenever the situation calls for...

Since we are ranking in terms of pole position etc, where do the D600 fit on the totem pole in terms of detail, transparency, dynamics, instrument separation, sound-stage, and deep bass between these Denon cans. Your pic has 3 of them and we end up talking only about D7100 and D600. You have made brief comments on D600 v MM400 before or was in one of your comments on your review.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #236 of 1,435

(...)  

Since we are ranking in terms of pole position etc, where do the D600 fit on the totem pole in terms of detail, transparency, dynamics, instrument separation, sound-stage, and deep bass between these Denon cans. Your pic has 3 of them and we end up talking only about D7100 and D600. You have made brief comments on D600 v MM400 before or was in one of your comments on your review.

...yes, it was in the second comment on my review.

Still, at that point of time the MM400 was not yet broken-in to the level it is now. So now the lonely island question I would even more decidedly answer in favor of the MM400.

All in all I would say, the D600's more forward mids make them the more analytical cans*, but also the slightly less pleasant one. Which one of those two cans sounds more "realistic" is very subjective perception and hence of no real importance for me in that regard; mostly I listen to have fun, not to analyze. And fun-factor-wise the MM400 excels. Do not get me wrong, you can also have a lot of fun with the D600, its just that I also have the MM400 and the D7100...

Earlier I took the D600 with me on business trips because I didn't want to put the D7100 at risk.

Now I will rather take the MM400 with me...**

As such the D600 is now mostly activated when for example I want to check for flaws such as clipping on my recordings; the D600 uncovers it relentlessly...

* I do not want to claim that the D600 are more detailed than the MM400; they are not. With "more analytical" I want to say that certain characteristics in the important mid range, exactly where the human hearing is most sensitive, are easier detectable, become more obvious, because they are more brought forward into the center of attention.

** to be fair, the D600 remains a great headphone, but after further break-in of the MM400 I conclude that the motto applies "better is the enemy of good"...

PS: You recognize, the fun factor counts so much more to me, that I do not analyze the other factors as transparence, dynamics, instrument separation, sound stage a.s.o. any further.
But without really actively comparing them in a dedicated listening session, I would say the D600's soundstage is slightly larger, the bass a little deeper, upper bass less prominent, mids more forward, highs a hint less smooth, fine dynamics and music-flow not as refined, and the other factors are fairly on par with the MM400.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #237 of 1,435

1. Arithmetic Sine
  2. Logarithmic Sine
  3. Pink Noise
  4. White Noise

Just in case anyone was having trouble with a conversion, I provided FLAC as well.
  1. Arithmetic Sine (FLAC, ALAC)
  2. Logarithmic Sine (FLAC, ALAC)
  3. Pink Noise (FLAC, ALAC)
  4. White Noise (FLAC, ALAC)

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #238 of 1,435
  where did you guys buy this headphone? no website has stocks

oh btw, any of you own the Audio Technica ES10 and can do a comparison on the 2? Also, care to do an unboxing?

You should visit Cyprusgod. He's on here and also on eBay. He's an absolute pleasure to deal with.  I will 100% vouch for him and I am sure if you asked Romani, he would too.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #240 of 1,435

...it is this small piece of metal, you can see it better from the outside when folding the phone...

Actually this piece is on the left and right can, and if you move it a little it makes this sound on either side. It is just slightly more loose on the right side, so it makes this clicking sound when shaking the phone. I do not feel disturbed. If it wasn't mentioned here I wouldn't have recognized it.

If you feel disturbed, you could try to apply a very little bit of grease (e.g. Shimano Workshop Grease) inside the gap on either side of that metal piece; That should dampen the "rattling" well enough.

I found the rattle/clicking to be very annoying, to the point that I was being careful not to move my head while wearing the headphones. So I tried the above suggestion and applied a tiny bit of grease. Problem solved :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back