Denon AH-MM400
Mar 1, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #166 of 1,435
  ...thats what I paid...

What a bargain. 

2nd hand?

Edit: see it says new in the ad.

Great price. I am not feeling too ripped off though :wink:

...yes, brand new, and everything perfect. No idea why he sold for that price...

I've been watching the market (internationally) since Oct. 2014, ready to trigger the purchase as soon as they are available, also for MRSP. So it was mere coincidence that I could get this one for such a good price.

And actually, this cans are so damned good, that MRSP is still a very very good offer. So indeed, even if you got no further discount, there is absolutely no reason to feel ripped off...

I would say, some of the competitors in that price class will have to rethink their pricing strategies in respect of value for money. Here the Denon sets the standard... well, let's see...

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #169 of 1,435
Quote:Try them out for yourself, it's the best way to judge especially if they are that close to you. Unlikely to sound as open as open headphones to be honest. I am not a fan of open headphones myself as I dont want to have to control how loud I can go or worry about who I'm disturbing around me. I also want to be able to drown out the world once they go on. Each to their own I guess. In either case, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by these once you see them in the flesh. One of the few headphones I've bought without any sort of buyer's remorse.

Thank's for taking time to answer. Gonna go try them out this afternoon.

I really feel like buying them but as I said before I am  somewhat scared that I should have been happy with the X1's for my needs. I am sure that the Denon's are the superior headphone but I am looking for the wow thing when trying them, I want them to be that much better than what I have to justify the purchase. Looking forward to testing them though!

I do like the fact that they don't leak sound, the X1's are pretty bad in that aspect. I will be using headphones next to my family on occasion and the non leakage is a plus.

I know this is the Denon thread but is there anything else I should be looking at, at this pricepoint? I have had the q701's and BW p5 before so those are not interesting.

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #170 of 1,435
Thank's for taking time to answer. Gonna go try them out this afternoon.

I really feel like buying them but as I said before I am  somewhat scared that I should have been happy with the X1's for my needs. I am sure that the Denon's are the superior headphone but I am looking for the wow thing when trying them, I want them to be that much better than what I have to justify the purchase. Looking forward to testing them though!

I do like the fact that they don't leak sound, the X1's are pretty bad in that aspect. I will be using headphones next to my family on occasion and the non leakage is a plus.

I know this is the Denon thread but is there anything else I should be looking at, at this pricepoint? I have had the q701's and BW p5 before so those are not interesting.

The Denon D600s is the set that I use as my everyday headphone out of my little collection of P7s, Senn HD650, Denon D5000, NAD HP50, Beyer DT150, DT770 Pro 80ohms and DT1350. I gave away my Audio Technica M50s.

My fav are the D5000s but they are bulky with a 3m cable! In the range of the MM400 in terms of price and portability, it would be the P7s, NADs and the Beyer DT1350 (although on ear they have v good isolation). Sound sig wise, D600 for me have a classic v shape sound with sub bass and good clarity although recessed mids. NADs doesn't have enough lower bass and sub bass and end up sounding a little tinny. DT1350s has it all the components across the spectrum but end up sounding a bit clinical with some sibilance in addition to major clamping force on my ears such that I cannot wear them for more than an hour. P7s are much better than the P5s which when I auditioned sounded super veiled but still possess a good amount of "muffle". When I auditioned the Momentums version 1, I found them marginally clearer than the P5s but very veiled so not sure what all the hype is about.

Anyway, I am a Denon fanboy at heart, first pair was the D1001 so I may be biased.

I just followed Romani and bought from Cypusgod on eBay direct from Japan!

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #172 of 1,435
can u guys do a comparison with the $1k Denon d7100?

...I am doing this comparison practically every day since both are part of my desktop rig; I reviewed both of them, here the AH-D7100 and here the AH-MM400.

There were some comments around that the MM400 is the best Denon ever. Considering the value for money (based on MRSP) I would absolutely agree, but considering the sound in absolute terms, I would rather not.

The D7100 (as well as the AH-D7000) still play in a different league than the MM400.

Granted, the discussion about the D7100 is a quite controvert one, but those comments opposing that phone become less and less and the street price for new and used 7100s recently was regaining quite a lot... I conclude that this is simply owed to the fact, that the D7100s need an extremely long break-in and most of the phones out there should now slowly and finally be settled FR-wise...

Allow me to quote my MM400 review here:

"In comparison to the AH-D7100 the bass emphasis is placed a little higher within the frequency range and reaching further up into the lower mids. On the other hand it is not as dominant as the D7100's bass (...which I actualy like a lot...), so luckily the lower mids are not veiled by the bass. Despite the bass emphasis there is no serious coloration recognizable."

Due to the fact that the bass is deeper and less reaching into the lower midrange, the 7100 sounds more open, more airy with a larger soundstage. Instruments are also better defined on stage and the deeper bass is adding a substance that makes them sounding more lifelike/realistic. Furthermore the D7100 shine a little deeper into finest details and with it's 50mm driver can go far louder...

Still, I have to admit, it is simply awesome how close the much cheaper MM400 is coming to that level... in regard to the build quality I even prefer the MM400 to the D7100!

Here the phones on my desktop-rig:

Please do not misinterprete this picture. Actually the 7100 are bigger than the MM400. It just looks that huge on this picture because this is a close-shot with the MM400 in the foreground.

Cheers!

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #173 of 1,435
...I am doing this comparison practically every day since both are part of my desktop rig; I reviewed both of them, here the AH-D7100 and here the AH-MM400.

There were some comments around that the MM400 is the best Denon ever. Considering the value for money (based on MRSP) I would absolutely agree, but considering the sound in an absolute terms, I would rather not.

The D7100 (as well as the AH-D7000) still play in a different league than the MM400.

Granted, the discussion about the D7100 is a quite controvert one, but those comments opposing that phone become less and less and the street price for new and used 7100s recently was regaining quite a lot... I conclude that this is simply owed to the fact, that the D7100s need an extremely long break-in and most of the phones out there should now slowly and finally be settled FR-wise...

"In comparison to the AH-D7100 the bass emphasis is placed a little higher within the frequency range and reaching further up into the lower mids. On the other hand it is not as dominant as the D7100's bass (...which I actualy like a lot...), so luckily the lower mids are not veiled by the bass. Despite the bass emphasis there is no serious coloration recognizable."

Due to the fact that the bass is deeper and less reaching into the lower midrange, the 7100 sounds more open, more airy with a larger soundstage. Instruments are also better defined on stage and the deeper bass is adding a substance that makes them sounding more lifelike/realistic. Furthermore the D7100 shine a little deeper into finest details and with it's 50mm driver can go far louder...

Still, I have to admit, it is simply awesome how close the much cheaper MM400 is coming to that level... in regard to the build quality I even prefer the MM400 it to the D7100!

Please do not misinterprete this picture. Actually the 7100 are bigger than the MM400. It just looks that huge on this picture because this is a close-shot with the MM400 in the foreground.

Cheers!

Great post, pic and headphones... You love denon headphones as much as me it seems!

I have read all your great posts on all your Denons. A tricky question for you and it seems like you are one of a very few who can answer: If you owned the D600s and MM400s first, would you still go and pull the trigger on the D7100s?

I have auditioned the D7100 and they are so different to the D600s that the choice is a no brainer, you would own both as the sound sig is so different similar to comparing D5000/D7000 vs D2000. However from your reviews, it seems like the MM400 sounds quite similar to the D7100/D7000/D5000 - less clinical more forward mids, fuller more engaging sound etc. Would love to hear your thoughts. Many thanks

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #174 of 1,435

can you do a direct side by side comparison of the 7100 and MM400? i want to see just how big the MM400 really is since i own the 7100.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #175 of 1,435

can you do a direct side by side comparison of the 7100 and MM400? i want to see just how big the MM400 really is since i own the 7100.

...you will find that picture at the end of my review under the PPS... This gives quite a good impression. There you will find also comparisons to other actual cans. Hope that helps!

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #176 of 1,435

There were some comments around that the MM400 is the best Denon ever. Considering the value for money (based on MRSP) I would absolutely agree, but considering the sound in an absolute terms, I would rather not.

Still, I have to admit, it is simply awesome how close the much cheaper MM400 is coming to that level... in regard to the build quality I even prefer the MM400 it to the D7100!

Cheers!

Great post, pic and headphones... You love denon headphones as much as me it seems!

I have read all your great posts on all your Denons. A tricky question for you and it seems like you are one of a very few who can answer: If you owned the D600s and MM400s first, would you still go and pull the trigger on the D7100s?

I have auditioned the D7100 and they are so different to the D600s that the choice is a no brainer, you would own both as the sound sig is so different similar to comparing D5000/D7000 vs D2000. However from your reviews, it seems like the MM400 sounds quite similar to the D7100/D7000/D5000 - less clinical more forward mids, fuller more engaging sound etc. Would love to hear your thoughts. Many thanks

Hey Rocco,
That's a good and fair question... still the answer is quite clear to me: yes, I would again pull the trigger. If my 7100 was lost or broken today, I would even re-purchase for MRSP. And yes again, the MM400's sound signature go in a similar direction; so their role in the game would be making the time until the new D7100 arrives less hard...

-cheers-

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #178 of 1,435
  Presumably, most of you have no wives or kids. You all have several cans, amps, would buy a pair for a grand tomorrow should the last pair fail............I feel old (and underpaid :wink:)

Well I'm in university so spending less is always a good thing. Doubt I'll be getting into the $600+ range for many, many years to come!

At least I don't have enough money to get stuck into speakers too though, if I went down that route I'd be buggered for sure! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #179 of 1,435
  Presumably, most of you have no wives or kids. You all have several cans, amps, would buy a pair for a grand tomorrow should the last pair fail............I feel old (and underpaid :wink:)

...ok, I should have added "(...) if I had the funds available, AND if there were no cheaper pre-used D7100s in good condition on the market, AND if my wife and daughter approved, THEN, and only then, I would even re-purchase for MRSP (...)".

Actually I wanted to express, that I deem the 7100's MRSP absolutely justified. And, that to me, the admittedly not too big difference between the MM400 and the D7100 is still so relevant, brings me so much more pleasure, that I find it worth to pay such price for it. Even if I already had the MM400 (...now the refrain, lets sing  together ....2...3.....if I had the funds available a.s.o....:)

The D7100 gave me so much musical joy, hundreds of hours. If I would have visited live concerts for so many hours instead, I now would be seriously indebted I guess ...at least considering the crazy concert prices they are charging here in Singapore...

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #180 of 1,435
Well, I just came back from the store with a brand spanking new pair of MM400´s. It's gonna be a long night :) Will post impressions later, gonna try them as much as possible tonight. Some gaming, some music and some movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back