Denon AH-MM400
Mar 2, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #181 of 1,435
  Well I'm in university so spending less is always a good thing. Doubt I'll be getting into the $600+ range for many, many years to come!

At least I don't have enough money to get stuck into speakers too though, if I went down that route I'd be buggered for sure! 
biggrin.gif

Do not get into the speaker game! I changed speakers twice within 2 years and one set of speaker cables can cost more than D7100s. Actually I did learn one very expensive lesson through my speaker hobby which is applicable to the headphone game: when buying upgrade cables for your headphones, I would advise you guys to try not to buy anything expensive with silver in them - sound signature changes and gets thinned out - you think you are getting more clarity but you thin out the mids and get artificially shrill highs - basically not how the headphone/speaker designer wanted the drivers to sound. I would stick to the original cables or get slightly thicker multi-strand oxygen free pure copper cables (which is what Denon uses as their original) - moderately priced. When terminating plugs (viablue or whatever), you should make sure there's no silver in the solder. Any silver in any part of your chain will bone you over in the long run - trust a brotha.

Stick to headphones - the return on investment is much higher and you can use them more frequently - I can only turn on my hifi for an hour or so every other evening because my wife hates mickey buble and dr. dre. 

As for DanMUC comment on $$$ and wives: I don't know where you are in the world but are we not all enjoying the same Denon sound signature, listening to mickey buble, kicking back and receiving immense pleasure out of similar cans which is why we keep posting into this thread? In fact for now, you probably have more expensive and better cans (according to musikaladin) than me I am listening to the D600s until I receive my MM400s : (

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #182 of 1,435
Do not get into the speaker game! I changed speakers twice within 2 years and one set of speaker cables can cost more than D7100s. Actually I did learn one very expensive lesson through my speaker hobby which is applicable to the headphone game: when buying upgrade cables for your headphones, I would advise you guys to try not to buy anything expensive with silver in them - sound signature changes and gets thinned out - you think you are getting more clarity but you thin out the mids and get artificially shrill highs - basically not how the headphone/speaker designer wanted the drivers to sound. I would stick to the original cables or get slightly thicker multi-strand oxygen free pure copper cables (which is what Denon uses as their original) - moderately priced. When terminating plugs (viablue or whatever), you should make sure there's no silver in the solder. Any silver in any part of your chain will bone you over in the long run - trust a brotha.

Stick to headphones - the return on investment is much higher and you can use them more frequently - I can only turn on my hifi for an hour or so every other evening because my wife hates mickey buble and dr. dre. 

As for DanMUC comment on $$$ and wives: I don't know where you are in the world but are we not all enjoying the same Denon sound signature, listening to mickey buble, kicking back and receiving immense pleasure out of similar cans which is why we keep posting into this thread? In fact for now, you probably have more expensive and better cans (according to musikaladin) than me I am listening to the D600s until I receive my MM400s : (
Sounds like you take your after-market cables seriously. If you know of a compatible one that is thicker/sturdier than the original MM400 straight through one and it's price isn't on par with the headphone itself, let me know.

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #183 of 1,435
Purchased mine yesterday and I am spending they day at work trying them out. Still deciding if they are keepers. 

There is no question that these are amazing headphones, even my wife who usually doesn't show any interest about my nerd stuff said that she was keeping them after trying them out for 2 minutes. Thats gotta count for something.

Amazing build quality, honestly... Just amazing. Fit and comfort is better than anything I have ever tried.

I am not ready to really comment on soundquality, of course it is really good but I am trying to get used to the somewhat closed soundstage. I knew this was gonna happen since I have the X1's and before that the Q701's and going from open to closed can be a bit jarring.

It does seem like it is much easier to tell how a song "should" sound. With the X1's every song sounds more or less the same: pretty large, wide and "airy". With the Denons some songs sound really close and intimate while all of a sudden some other song just really opens up the soundstage and "space"

Will try with gaming and movies tonight.

If anybody has questions or want more pictures let me know and I will try and help, thread already has great info and amazing pics, it really helped me in deciding to try these out.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #184 of 1,435
  Purchased mine yesterday and I am spending they day at work trying them out. Still deciding if they are keepers. 

There is no question that these are amazing headphones, even my wife who usually doesn't show any interest about my nerd stuff said that she was keeping them after trying them out for 2 minutes. Thats gotta count for something.

Amazing build quality, honestly... Just amazing. Fit and comfort is better than anything I have ever tried.

I am not ready to really comment on soundquality, of course it is really good but I am trying to get used to the somewhat closed soundstage. I knew this was gonna happen since I have the X1's and before that the Q701's and going from open to closed can be a bit jarring.

It does seem like it is much easier to tell how a song "should" sound. With the X1's every song sounds more or less the same: pretty large, wide and "airy". With the Denons some songs sound really close and intimate while all of a sudden some other song just really opens up the soundstage and "space"

Will try with gaming and movies tonight.

If anybody has questions or want more pictures let me know and I will try and help, thread already has great info and amazing pics, it really helped me in deciding to try these out.

Thanks for the quick first impression! :)

Could you compare the 400 to your X1 please? :)

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #185 of 1,435
Glad you are enjoying them Romani - sorry to hear about the rattle.. glad it is nothing major!
Mr Khan.. will let you know more directly when I get them in.
I wish you guys would stop tempting me to buy these and get rid of my Z7 I only bought a month ago!

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #186 of 1,435
Glad you are enjoying them Romani - sorry to hear about the rattle.. glad it is nothing major!

I wish you guys would stop tempting me to buy these and get rid of my Z7 I only bought a month ago!

Well, if you compare the MDR-Z7 with this headphone, I don't think it's much of an "upgrade". I will add a comparison to my review this week.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #188 of 1,435

Two weeks ago i bought the Z7 because i wanted a replacement for my Denon AH-D2000. I didn't know about the new Denon. I felt lucky with the Z7 and it was an upgrade compared to the D2000. Then some days after i purchased the Z7 i saw the new Denon AHM-M400 and got them. At the end it was a decision which one fits my taste better and it was the denon. For me the denon has the perfect amount of everything.
The sony is a little bit too boomy in the midbass and with the recessed highs and a little bit in the mid as well it sounds overall darker than the denon. I felt everything with the denon sounds clearer. I could made my decision right after heard 2-3 of my favourit songs the denon did everything better for my taste. The sony is slightly more comfortable but that's the only thing where the z7 does a better job.
They are both nice cans but just different here and there.

I'm planning to replace the original cable from the denon, it's a joke for this price class

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #190 of 1,435

Definitely nothing major to worry about. Just the way the headband is constructed and considering i am using them at home whilst sitting or laying down, I never hear the rattle. Only noticed because of what people had said here.

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #191 of 1,435
Two weeks ago i bought the Z7 because i wanted a replacement for my Denon AH-D2000. I didn't know about the new Denon. I felt lucky with the Z7 and it was an upgrade compared to the D2000. Then some days after i purchased the Z7 i saw the new Denon AHM-M400 and got them. At the end it was a decision which one fits my taste better and it was the denon. For me the denon has the perfect amount of everything.

The sony is a little bit too boomy in the midbass and with the recessed highs and a little bit in the mid as well it sounds overall darker than the denon. I felt everything with the denon sounds clearer. I could made my decision right after heard 2-3 of my favourit songs the denon did everything better for my taste. The sony is slightly more comfortable but that's the only thing where the z7 does a better job.

They are both nice cans but just different here and there.

I'm planning to replace the original cable from the denon, it's a joke for this price class

I would agree with your impressions on both. I felt the Denons just sounded more exciting. The Sony didn't blow me away. Agree about the Denon cable too!

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #192 of 1,435
I'm quite intrigued by with these cans, but it's a little difficult finding information about them. The US site doesn't even list them. I see you can purchase them from some outlets, but not much. Are they not going to be available in the US or is it just taking a while to get them out? Anyone who does have them, can we see pictures of the packaging and included accessories?

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #193 of 1,435
  I'm quite intrigued by with these cans, but it's a little difficult finding information about them. The US site doesn't even list them. I see you can purchase them from some outlets, but not much. Are they not going to be available in the US or is it just taking a while to get them out? Anyone who does have them, can we see pictures of the packaging and included accessories?

Dont know about US availability. Only official Denon PDF I could find is here (http://www.oliviermultimedia.ch/uploads/files/olivier-multimedia.ch/26498_v1.pdf). Will post up pics of the box and accessories later.

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #195 of 1,435

Users who are viewing this thread

Back