Denon AH-MM400
Feb 28, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #151 of 1,435
Romani, I am not sure if you have tried the Audio Technica M50s. Are the earcups on these bigger than those? I have the b&w P7s which have larger earcups than M50s and the P7s just fit. I remember you saying that the MM400s are smaller than the P7s. I am tempted to order the MM400s except that I am afraid the earcups will be like the Senn Momentums or the M50s which are like a halfway house between over the ear and on ear cans. Thanks for all your insightful comments this far!

You should read through the thread. It comes down to: bigger than momentum but a bit smaller than the momentum 2.0s. They are 100x more comfortable than the momentum 2.0s. 2.0s hurt my ears, the MM400s make sweet soft love to them. Cant feel em sitting around my ears

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #152 of 1,435
Romani, I am not sure if you have tried the Audio Technica M50s. Are the earcups on these bigger than those? I have the b&w P7s which have larger earcups than M50s and the P7s just fit. I remember you saying that the MM400s are smaller than the P7s. I am tempted to order the MM400s except that I am afraid the earcups will be like the Senn Momentums or the M50s which are like a halfway house between over the ear and on ear cans. Thanks for all your insightful comments this far!
These definitely have bigger pads than the Momentums. M50s I tried a while ago but I'd be lying if I said I could recall. The P7's and these are a close call, however I can assure you the stiffness, material and hence comfort of the ear pads on the MM400's is miles better. Without measuring your ear, I won't be able to tell you if these will sit on or around your ear, so I have measured the opening in the pads instead. It ended up measuring 6cm x 3.8cm. If your ears are smaller than that, then you are fine. Of all headphones you've mentioned, these are the most comfy for me. In fact, you forget they're on to be honest.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #153 of 1,435
These definitely have bigger pads than the Momentums. M50s I tried a while ago but I'd be lying if I said I could recall. The P7's and these are a close call, however I can assure you the stiffness, material and hence comfort of the ear pads on the MM400's is miles better. Without measuring your ear, I won't be able to tell you if these will sit on or around your ear, so I have measured the opening in the pads instead. It ended up measuring 6cm x 3.8cm. If your ears are smaller than that, then you are fine. Of all headphones you've mentioned, these are the most comfy for me. In fact, you forget they're on to be honest.

Thanks for this Romani!

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #156 of 1,435
Well after a 10h plane flight I can say that these are extremely comfortable for long periods of time. I didn't find myself adjusting the headphones or anything at all, just straight comfort for many hours on end. Surprisingly good isolation too, just one notch higher on my apex glacier (I think each volume step is 2dB) and I couldn't hear the engines of the plane at all, just my music. The engine noise was noticeable when there was no music playing but it wasn't annoying at all.

I think I'm going to call it here, selling my p7's in favour of these. These look better, fit better, are just as comfortable (although these took no breaking in time, they were extremely comfortable from day one) and after adjusting to the sound a bit more, I'd say they sound better too. The bass is punchier without having the same amount as the p7's (which can be overwhelming for some music but the punch these add over the p7's means they're still a bunch of fun for electronic genres and hip hop), highs are still clear with no sibilance and the mids are a bit more lush sounding which I really enjoy as I thought the p7's had a slightly thin midrange. Really impressed with these headphones though, they cost about $150 to $200 aud cheaper than I would have had to spend here too which makes them cheaper than what I paid for my p7's too.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #158 of 1,435
Well after a 10h plane flight I can say that these are extremely comfortable for long periods of time. I didn't find myself adjusting the headphones or anything at all, just straight comfort for many hours on end. Surprisingly good isolation too, just one notch higher on my apex glacier (I think each volume step is 2dB) and I couldn't hear the engines of the plane at all, just my music. The engine noise was noticeable when there was no music playing but it wasn't annoying at all.

I think I'm going to call it here, selling my p7's in favour of these. These look better, fit better, are just as comfortable (although these took no breaking in time, they were extremely comfortable from day one) and after adjusting to the sound a bit more, I'd say they sound better too. The bass is punchier without having the same amount as the p7's (which can be overwhelming for some music but the punch these add over the p7's means they're still a bunch of fun for electronic genres and hip hop), highs are still clear with no sibilance and the mids are a bit more lush sounding which I really enjoy as I thought the p7's had a slightly thin midrange. Really impressed with these headphones though, they cost about $150 to $200 aud cheaper than I would have had to spend here too which makes them cheaper than what I paid for my p7's too.
I'm in the same predicament. Trying to sell off my P7's, keeping these was a no brainer. Glad you're liking them.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #164 of 1,435
Been following this thread with great interest. Really like the look of these.

Been wanting to upgrade my Philips X1 for a little while but I am a little afraid that these Denon's will feel "a little closed in" compared to the X1 fairly wide and open soundstage. I understand that this is the nature of closed vs open cans. I do enjoy some pc and console gaming from time to time and the X1 have been great for that.

Still I have the upgrade itch and the Denons are in stock about 20 minutes from my house which is way to close :)

I guess my question is that will the soundstage of the Denon's seem to small compared to X1? The headphones will be used for everything, music, movies and so on, so maybe the Denons are better at so much else that it will be worth the soundstage tradeoff.

The Denons are about 370 euro here. For comparison the X1 is about 150 euro and the X2 cost 300 euro, maybe X2's are a better value?.

I will probably go try these out today but I always have great difficulty trying out stuff like this when standing in store.

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #165 of 1,435
Been following this thread with great interest. Really like the look of these.

Been wanting to upgrade my Philips X1 for a little while but I am a little afraid that these Denon's will feel "a little closed in" compared to the X1 fairly wide and open soundstage. I understand that this is the nature of closed vs open cans. I do enjoy some pc and console gaming from time to time and the X1 have been great for that.

Still I have the upgrade itch and the Denons are in stock about 20 minutes from my house which is way to close :)

I guess my question is that will the soundstage of the Denon's seem to small compared to X1? The headphones will be used for everything, music, movies and so on, so maybe the Denons are better at so much else that it will be worth the soundstage tradeoff.

The Denons are about 370 euro here. For comparison the X1 is about 150 euro and the X2 cost 300 euro, maybe X2's are a better value?.

I will probably go try these out today but I always have great difficulty trying out stuff like this when standing in store.
Try them out for yourself, it's the best way to judge especially if they are that close to you. Unlikely to sound as open as open headphones to be honest. I am not a fan of open headphones myself as I dont want to have to control how loud I can go or worry about who I'm disturbing around me. I also want to be able to drown out the world once they go on. Each to their own I guess. In either case, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by these once you see them in the flesh. One of the few headphones I've bought without any sort of buyer's remorse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back