Denon AH-MM400
Feb 26, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #107 of 1,435
  I can try and offer you some insight here as I just returned the Classics and now have the Denons.

I find the sound quite similar actually - they are both on the warm side, but offer good detail. Perhaps the Denons are little more open - slightly wider soundstage.

I really liked the Classics, until I heard the Momentum 2.0s which for me were more detailed, but something wasn't quite right about them so I sent them back too. They did give me the impression that the Classics in comparison were a tad muddy. 

I have now had the Denons a day and am listening to FFD now through them and I find them to be exactly what I wanted (I do tend towards a slight warmth rather than a complete neutrality). That said, on relistening to Grace by Jeff Buckley, I found the Denons to be a little disappointing - they suppressed his perfomance somewhat. Now that could change with burning in, so for the next days I am going to leave them on and I will revisit that track during the course of today and tomorrow.

In short, I loved the Classics sound, until I heard the Momentum 2.0s, although they didn't put me off them that much. The comfort problems with the Classics were my main issue. So far, I feel the Denons are very similar to the Classics.

Sounds like these Denons should be pretty cool, thanks!

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #108 of 1,435
Thanks for your response Dan. I guess warm has various meanings.

Am glad that the MM400s have not lost their bass. I am not sure if you have tracks where they rumble below 80hz, but would love to know if the MM400s are capable of sub bass. Although I am not a Buble fan, a very good test is 0:46 secs into the Michael Buble song Home - iTunes preview will have it. There are a couple notes there that you can hear in the sub bass category where only the D5000 and D600 out of my headphone collection that can play these notes.  

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #111 of 1,435
Got these a few days ago after trying Momentums, Viso HP50, P7. Will likely hang on to the AH-MM400s as I am very happy with the comfort and sound of them. But I have noticed two minor things.

1. Cable noise. When I move and the cable rubs against my clothes I can hear it, almost as bad as with in-ears. I had a cable clip left over and attaching that to the cable does help, but hmm.
2. If I shake my head or lean forwards or backwards while wearing these headphones there is a rattling sound. I think it is from something inside the headband, possibly where the metal arms are connected (both sides). I do not believe it is from the ear cups.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Can't say I've noticed either, but then again, I've only ever had music pumping so unlikely to hear any cable noise to be honest. I have been using the non Apple cable, only the straight through one. As for the rattling, even with extreme head movement, I barely noticed a subtle sound coming from the hinges, which I suspect is the ear cups slightly rotating as a result of the movement.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #114 of 1,435
I get no rattling noise at all, even with extreme shaking. I can shake them off my head and not hear a thing, they're extremely solid for me.

As for warmth, I'd say these headphones are warm but I mean that in that they have a slight bass emphasis and a more rich sound unlike the clinical colder sound of something like the new ath m70x.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #117 of 1,435
I get no rattling noise at all, even with extreme shaking. I can shake them off my head and not hear a thing, they're extremely solid for me.

As for warmth, I'd say these headphones are warm but I mean that in that they have a slight bass emphasis and a more rich sound unlike the clinical colder sound of something like the new ath m70x.
I'm with you. The noise I heard isn't a rattle as much as it is movement of the ear cup where it connects to the hinge. I was headbanging by the time I got to that stage and also had to hold them on for their dear life.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #118 of 1,435
I'm with you. The noise I heard isn't a rattle as much as it is movement of the ear cup where it connects to the hinge. I was headbanging by the time I got to that stage and also had to hold them on for their dear life.

Ok, thanks. Mine definitely do rattle even if I just shake my head lightly, and it isn't the connection between the ear cup and the hinge. Something going on in the headband. Guess I'll go back and change these to another pair and hope they don't have the rattle.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #120 of 1,435
@DanMUC - sounds like your opinion of the FS Classic is quite similar to mine. Nice sound sig and whilst the detail is there when you look for it they do sometimes give you the perception they are a bit muddy. The mid-bass hump also has a habit of making the treble feel a bit recessed although it does actually extent pretty well.

Although you found them similar do you feel the Denon sounds less 'fuzzy' to your ears with more present treble?

---

I do miss my Denon D2000 a great deal and loved the sub bass on them. Haven't come across a can that has quite the same weight & impact since. The mention earlier in the thread that Denon consider the MM400 to be a successor to the D2K definitely piqued my curiousity and if the mids have the same smooth sweetness (albeit a bit recessed) and a similar level of sub bass I'd be well pleased.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the two? More similarities than differences or different beasts?

----
The dilemma I have right now about ordering a pair is really how I'd be able to use them. Whilst I'm sure they'd get some use at home I'm not convinced they'd dislodge the Pandora Hope VI as my headphone of choice. Trains & buses I can see but as I'd be selling my IEMs amongst others to fund them it'd mean they'd also need to be used outdoors, and I'm not sure with a premium headphone like this that I'd want to regularly expose them to the elements....maybe something like the Momentum 2.0 would be a better choice in that respect although I'm not really sensing as much love for that 'phone from owners and the original Mo's, whilst enjoyable enough, aren't imho in the same league as some of the other closed back headphones I've owned. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back