Denon AH-MM400
Feb 25, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #77 of 1,435

..since the wood is not sealed with a lacquer (as on the D7100) I wanted to protect / preserve the surface with something water-repellent / hydrophobic. And I wanted to use something that still keeps the open-pored surface. So I applied, by using a small brush, a thin layer of universal (weapon-) oil called Ballistol:

The oil is then completely soaked in within some hours, and after several days there just remains a slghtly darker color (looks good). Thats it. Whether it really gives the wood a better protection I do not know, since I obviously will not try that on purpose. But, what is most important, I definitely have the feeling that the wood is better protected now. And be it a placebo or not, I like it.

I also applied this oil to the pads (also the pads of my D7100 and D600) and the effect here is really good. As with the wood, the oil was soon soaked in and makes it super soft. Ballistol is well skin-compatible and all in all makes the MM400 even more comfortable.
Well now, I tried it with the actual pleather pads of the Denons mentioned above and it works very well. Still, I have no idea whether other pads maybe made of differently composed pleather might react differently to the application of such oil. So I would recommend to try it first on a less visible spot of the pad and see what happens.
Interesting. I wonder whether the wood soaking up the oil would have any impact on the acoustics? I agree we need to protect the wood in either case. Might get this for myself.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #78 of 1,435
Interesting. I wonder whether the wood soaking up the oil would have any impact on the acoustics? I agree we need to protect the wood in either case. Might get this for myself.

Hm yeah. But Walnut-wood tends to get lighter to some extend from exposure to the sun. So the oil its darkness might get balanced out that way.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #79 of 1,435
I'm trying to resist the urge to order these but Amazon ES are making it mighty difficult!

£281 inc. VAT & shipping which is probably around £50 cheaper than buying direct from Japan after I factor in tax etc.

Coin flip time?

Noticed the following response from Denon to a review (cough) on Amazon.com re. the faux leather:

We'd like to take a moment to address your concerns about the synthetic leather. This newly developed synthetic leather was designed especially for Denon headphones to provide customers with the best listening experience. It provides optimal comfort for long listening sessions, helps block outside noise, and also offers long term durability. This synthetic leather is also designed to withstand humidity and varying temperatures without deteriorating.

Sounds like they should be fine with just the odd wipe now & then but the wood is a bit more of a concern, esp. if used outdoors regularly.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #80 of 1,435
I'm trying to resist the urge to order these but Amazon ES are making it mighty difficult!

£281 inc. VAT & shipping which is probably around £50 cheaper than importing direct from Japan after factoring in the associated costs of importing (tax / courier handling fees etc.).

Coin flip time?

Noticed the following response from Denon to a review (cough) on Amazon.com re. the faux leather:

Sounds like they should be fine with just the odd wipe now & then but the wood is a bit more of a concern, esp. if used outdoors regularly.
If you can't wait, go get a pair off the guy I went to. Also, I had seen Denon's take on their synthetic leather and it's characteristics. Once upon a time, I would have been cynical. Post the P7 and the fact it's leather was not comfy and cold feeling on the head and ears, I am with Denon on this one.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #81 of 1,435

£281 inc. VAT & shipping which is probably around £50 cheaper than buying from Japan after factoring in the costs associated with importing from outwith the EU (tax / courier handling fees etc.).

Coin flip time?

Well, I have a few tax-free work arounds. Simply because I ask the Japanese companies to note down that it's a gift and that it's only worth 2500 yen. Never had to pay any taxes from Japan. But you will have to find the right seller, of course.

I'm there with Romani. I bought the P7s for 180 pounds new. But the ear-cups were just too hard and cold, I sold 'em 5 days later. These earcups are superb, even if it's not leather.

I think with proper wood-oil/wax/whatever it will be just fine. I will be using these babehs all day everyday. Except for when I'm working out.

Does anyone have the AH-MM400 iOS-cable left over, and willing to sell to me? I'd like to have a spare, but they are nowhere to be found, sigh.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #82 of 1,435
If you can't wait, go get a pair off the guy I went to. Also, I had seen Denon's take on their synthetic leather and it's characteristics. Once upon a time, I would have been cynical. Post the P7 and the fact it's leather was not comfy and cold feeling on the head and ears, I am with Denon on this one.

Amazon ES (Spain) is probably my best option both in terms of price and delivery speed. They currently have them in stock and estimating delivery next week. Might even be sooner as the various European Amazon stores often share stock so if they have units in the UK already in there's a chance they may allocate one of them.

I did look at the guy you used and he is the cheapest (£268) until it lands in the UK. Then HM Customs & Excise do their bit which means £50 VAT & the couriers take a handling fee too....grrr. 

I'm with you on synthetic leather. It can be hit & miss but when it's done well I'd take it over leather. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #83 of 1,435
Amazon ES (Spain) is probably my best option both in terms of price and delivery speed. They currently have them in stock and estimating delivery next week. Might even be sooner as the various European Amazon stores often share stock so if they have units in the UK already in there's a chance they may allocate one of them.

I did look at the guy you used and he is the cheapest (£268) until it lands in the UK. Then HM Customs & Excise do their bit which means £50 VAT & the couriers take a handling fee too....grrr. 

I'm with you on synthetic leather. It can be hit & miss but when it's done well I'd take it over leather. 
Apologies, had no idea about the additional charges/taxes. So annoying, may as well be daylight robbery.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #84 of 1,435
Apologies, had no idea about the additional charges/taxes. So annoying, may as well be daylight robbery.

No need to apologise!

Quite often it does work out a fair bit cheaper to import even after paying tax/ charges. As carlove says there are ways to get things in under the radar but in this instance the saving is just so small it's not worth the bother. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #85 of 1,435
No need to apologise!

Quite often it does work out a fair bit cheaper to import even after paying tax/ charges. As carlove says there are ways to get things in under the radar but in this instance the saving is just so small it's not worth the bother. 
Completely agree, sometimes the effort required does not outweigh the cost benefits :)

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #88 of 1,435
Those that have these already - do you feel they look better in the flesh or in photos? I know sometimes photographs can flatter whereas others they don't quite do a headphone justice.

Looking at Romani's pic they actually look quite 'bulbous' head on. With the cups being quite low profile I was expecting the metal arms/ brackets on the headband to sit a bit closer to the head.

They do look incredible though in terms of build quality and materials. The one thing I'm not entirely sold on is the largeish metal badges on the ear cups. I think I'd personally have preferred to have seen more of that lovely wood on show with perhaps the Denon name painted / transferred on in gold (iirc) like the D5 & 7k. 

@Romani - in your review you mentioned that the jack connector that goes into the headphone is oval shaped. Aside from that is it fairly standard e.g. 3.5mm plug & no bespoke locking mechanism?
Cheers again 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #89 of 1,435
I have a wider head, the MM400s dont 'bulge' but is nicely streamlined. Just my luck I guess.

But yeah, the cable is oval shaped, which is sad, since there aren't any 3rd party cables for em that can be used :/.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #90 of 1,435
Does anyone who own these also own the D600's?  Care to compare them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back