Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #3,991 of 4,412
Today I compared the Sennheiser HD650 vs Denon D9200 again with the Ferrum Hypsos hybrid power supply added to my audio chain. Surprisedly HD650 has more improved than Denon D9200 which is just has little bit improved. Denon 9200 still is ahead with its speed but the tonality and transparency the HD650 is better and even the depth and soundstage Sennheiser 650 is a little better. I still keep this Denon D9200 for fast listening just plug it to any things and listen like from mac mini m1 or my PS5 controller headphone jack but beware the a little bright sound from the treble.

After so many years has passed Sennheiser HD650 still one of the best headphones that is remarkable when comparing to other expensive headphones. Happy that Ferrum Hypsos does truely help to lift the veil of Sennheiser HD650 but i think there will be more improved in the next months if I can purchase a flagship Bakoon headphone amp from Japan which is famous to drive Senns from rumour that I read from head-fi.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #3,992 of 4,412
Keep in mind the Arya is a planar which has the typical transparent, see-through bass, but the D9200 has WAY more punch and slam because it's a dynamic driver. I found that it almost slams as hard as a Focal.
Exactly similar tone but different presentation. The Arya SE and open planars generally have a more diffuse airy sound for those two factors. Driver mechanics and open construction.
Sometimes that's what I want, other times I just want to enjoy the music and not focus on how I can envision it swirling around me.
In such cases the Denons deliver an engaging much more palpable sound in their smaller but thicker and much more percussive stage.

And I hear zer-o brightness.

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #3,993 of 4,412
Exactly similar tone but different presentation. The Arya SE and open planars generally have a more diffuse airy sound for those two factors. Driver mechanics and open construction.
Sometimes that's what I want, other times I just want to enjoy the music and not focus on how I can envision it swirling around me.
In such cases the Denons deliver an engaging much more palpable sound in their smaller but thicker and much more percussive stage.

And I hear zer-o brightness.
I'll agree with that statement about the difference between the Denon, or other dynamic headphones, and planars. My Oppo PM1s are somewhat more forgiving with poor recordings than the Denon or my Focal Clear MGs are. Get a well recorded album and the Denons shine.

Aug 2, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #3,994 of 4,412
Also I'm wary comparing headphones directly eg I can love the ZMF Atrium but the detail of the HEKV2 will make the ZMF sound absolutely blunted and veiled if I'm listing to stringsy Polyphia for an audiophile fix. I need to allow my brain to burn into the less detailed set (Atrium).
While I've just listened to Tell Them by James Blake (Qobuz 16/44) and the Denon's do things with the bass that the HEKV2 and Arya aren't close to, then Boasty by Wiley came on and the difference was even more stark as the the D9200s from my Mac annihilate my ZMF Atrium balanced from an Auralic Taurus II.
The others have more stage but the way the bass has me by the scruff of my neck the extra stage just counts for nothing.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #3,995 of 4,412
Does anybody have experience with these and the Focal Clear MG? How do they compare?

I listen to a variety of music but want something that can really slam in the bass region for things like HipHop and EDM. How would you compare the way these two deliver bass?

Your insight will be greatly appreciated!

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #3,996 of 4,412
Does anybody have experience with these and the Focal Clear MG? How do they compare?

I listen to a variety of music but want something that can really slam in the bass region for things like HipHop and EDM. How would you compare the way these two deliver bass?

Your insight will be greatly appreciated!
I have both. Not into your music so cannot reference how they perform with HH or EDM. Both have the same attack on the bass and it's clear and precise on both. If you want the best slam then closed backs are usually deeper, certainly the Denon is deeper in this respect than both my open back 'phones. Good decay on both which you can hear with plucked bass be it an electric guitar or double bass. The Denon will be really fast for EDM and it's probably in the treble where the Denons will slightly out perform the Clears.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #3,997 of 4,412
I have both. Not into your music so cannot reference how they perform with HH or EDM. Both have the same attack on the bass and it's clear and precise on both. If you want the best slam then closed backs are usually deeper, certainly the Denon is deeper in this respect than both my open back 'phones. Good decay on both which you can hear with plucked bass be it an electric guitar or double bass. The Denon will be really fast for EDM and it's probably in the treble where the Denons will slightly out perform the Clears.

Nice! What would you say the strengths are of each headphone? And how would you compare the overall sound signature? Do you have more fun listening to one over the other for mainstream pop music?

Now for the cliche question, if you had to let go of one which would it be?

I’ve done quite a bit of research and I think my taste lean towards dynamic drivers over planar and these two seem to be very highly regarded. Would love to audition them but I don’t have anywhere nearby that stock them.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #3,998 of 4,412
Nice! What would you say the strengths are of each headphone? And how would you compare the overall sound signature? Do you have more fun listening to one over the other for mainstream pop music?

Now for the cliche question, if you had to let go of one which would it be?

I’ve done quite a bit of research and I think my taste lean towards dynamic drivers over planar and these two seem to be very highly regarded. Would love to audition them but I don’t have anywhere nearby that stock them.
The Denons are the more exciting of the two although I can happily listen to both. For me it's the detail in the treble that wins out for the Denons, vocals just seem more forward of the mix. Soundstage then the Focal wins and it's very enjoyable with excellent placement of instruments and the mids are just that little bit more pronounced than the Denons. The detail retrieval on both is very good. Both are comfortable over long listening sessions although the Clears have more of a clamping force.

I've said this before but if I had to choose between them then it would be the Denons, just that little bit more excitement and a superb performance with well recorded albums and vocals are sublime on it.

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #3,999 of 4,412
the D9200s from my Mac annihilate my ZMF Atrium balanced from an Auralic Taurus II.
May we worth trying a higher impedance source of you can get your hands on one, sounds like the driver is over dampened causing a darker sound, "more blunted" sound.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 13, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #4,000 of 4,412
Dear fellows Denon 9200 owners,
I have received my brand new pair of 9200 a couple of days ago, I love the sound and look and feel but one thing bothers me a lot (at least aesthetically). The internal fabric of earpads is not flat. Curving, I don't know how to explain it. And left one is more curvy than right one. I did not have it on my 5200s. Has anyone experienced the same? Is it OK? Can it be fixed somehow? Please see photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6327.jpg
    IMG_6327.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6326.jpg
    IMG_6326.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6325.jpg
    IMG_6325.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #4,002 of 4,412
Dear fellows Denon 9200 owners,
I have received my brand new pair of 9200 a couple of days ago, I love the sound and look and feel but one thing bothers me a lot (at least aesthetically). The internal fabric of earpads is not flat. Curving, I don't know how to explain it. And left one is more curvy than right one. I did not have it on my 5200s. Has anyone experienced the same? Is it OK? Can it be fixed somehow? Please see photos attached.
Mine look exactly the same. No problems with sound at all.

Aug 17, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #4,004 of 4,412
Thanks for your responses. Feeling better now :) Though I think for that level of price and "handcrafted in Japan" the quality should be better :)
Couldn’t agree more - I returned my pair twice due to imperfections in the pads.
but I don’t have that uneven cloth - that’d be unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back