Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #4,021 of 4,427
Sep 17, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #4,023 of 4,427
Still worth getting this headphone towards the end of 2023? One of the best comfortable detailed closed headphones out there?
Depends on your preferred signature and budget.
There are many alternatives and some of them long on the market like ZMF VC, DCA Stealth, Fostex TH900.
I wouldn't call the Denon comfortable but I find it is delivering good SQ for its price and it is light weight compared to the competition.

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #4,024 of 4,427
I wouldn't call the Denon comfortable but I find it is delivering good SQ for its price and it is light weight compared to the competition.
Agree. Personally I'd call attention to the headband, which I find very hard in the center and quite uncomfortable. They do sound excellent though.

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #4,025 of 4,427
Still worth getting this headphone towards the end of 2023? One of the best comfortable detailed closed headphones out there?
Absolutely, yes.
To me the TH900 has too hot treble (and I’m not really treble sensitive), the Stealth just too boring. The Focal TOTL closed (forgot the name) is not my cup of tea either, ugly color and I never liked the Focal signature sound…

Sep 17, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #4,026 of 4,427
Absolutely, yes.
To me the TH900 has too hot treble (and I’m not really treble sensitive), the Stealth just too boring. The Focal TOTL closed (forgot the name) is not my cup of tea either, ugly color and I never liked the Focal signature sound…
That's the next thing.
I found 9200 quite good from various sources whereas other closed backs need dedicated sources / PEQ for my taste.
For example DCA Stealth currently paired with my Cayin N7 DAP and a Poweramp doesn't sound boring but organic and with some impact but gets tiring out of anything else I tried.
VC is often preferred out of tube amps and is very Pad dependant.
And yes, I returned the Fostex due to the Treble peak

Sep 17, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #4,027 of 4,427
I absolutely love my D9200, especially now paired with my new desktop setup. I do find they get a bit uncomfortable in warmer weather after maybe 30 minutes or so but rarely a consideration here in cool/cold Ireland!

IMG_7410.jpeg

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #4,028 of 4,427
Have had em for several months now - using them mainly to record guitars / listen to music. Really good headphones, I like the detail and the crispiness. Note that I have applied the Oratory eq

Sep 17, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #4,029 of 4,427
I absolutely love my D9200, especially now paired with my new desktop setup. I do find they get a bit uncomfortable in warmer weather after maybe 30 minutes or so but rarely a consideration here in cool/cold Ireland!

Nice photograph! I am (pairing them w/ poly, mojo2 and Rupert (RNHP)) listening to underworld for five hours now, no urge to put them off, no need to scratch my bald head below the headband, no adjusting of volume, just pure enjoyment.
The only urge I feel is to visit Ireland as soon as possible. (… but not because of my headphones :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #4,031 of 4,427
Will they benefit from a better cable such as Forza Audio? If I buy them I want to install bigger thicker leather earpads also. Anyone have tried better pads? Will try to improve with padding the headband also for better comfort if that's an issue.
I use an Oidio cable with my 9200s. I didn't buy it for the Denons though as I had to get one for my Focal Clear MGs. Very little difference from the stock cable to be honest. As for comfort I had to sit in a car dealership for over two hours last week as the car was being serviced. Enjoyed every minute with the 9200s, especially the comfort, even with MP3 files.

Another observation I can make is that the Denons are superior in every way to the Focal Radiance which has now been returned to the dealer.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #4,032 of 4,427
I bought a set of these over a week ago, and can confirm the answer to your question is a resounding "yes". They genuinely live up to the hype in this thread (it's a great thing this thread exists cos these seem to be very underrated/not really discussed elsewhere). I'll be sharing more detailed thoughts once I've spent longer with them.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #4,033 of 4,427
Even after three years and quite a few other headphones i'd still wholeheartrdly recommend the D9200, too. Their detail and timbre are top notch and they sound almost equally great from most sources. The only thing i truly dislike about them are the pads, unless your ears are small they'll probably not be a great fit.

Sep 21, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #4,034 of 4,427
It is finally cold enough again to wear headphones
Almost forgot how amazing D9200 is 😍
Zen Dac v2 is a great match and when needed for certain songs X-Bass pretty much got the perfect amount of bass to complement D9200's signature 🤩👌🏻

IMG_20230921_084749.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back