Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #3,961 of 4,427
I know this is extremely old but does reducing digital volume and putting pre amp at 0 improve the sound? for some reason I was never really a fan with EQ because everything sounded kinda off and i literally have 12 different sundara eqs because i could never find the right one that didnt sound off, but now most of them actually sound very good. is this some sort of crazy placebo?

I try it both ways and it seems without setting lowering digital volume and putting pre amp to 0 the audio sounds more rough but with doing it, it sounds more smooth. Probably placebo though lol.
Digital volume control ultimately cuts bits to reduce volume… might have some smoothing effect, interesting observation. In general I’d keep digital volume at max and reduce volume on the analog side, but if it fits you better the other way round — why not.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #3,963 of 4,427
Very helpful! I read very controversial reviews for ad9200. Some say that they are very bright with hollow stage , others say that they are bright but refined. It would be great if anyone had tried also a Hifiman Arya or sennheiser hd800s to have even more comparisons.
I can confirm that D9200 has a little bright treble and can be tamed depends on your sources and amps. Hollow stage I do not know but these D9200s have really 2.5 stage. Do not expect 100% 3D stage. Headphones even some high end headphones a few ones really can do 3d stage like you are really in the or on the stage.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #3,964 of 4,427
I can confirm that D9200 has a little bright treble and can be tamed depends on your sources and amps. Hollow stage I do not know but these D9200s has really 2.5 stage. Do not expect 100% 3D stage. Headphones even some high end headphones a few ones really can do 3d stage like you are really in the or on the stage.
A little bright, but not too much. They're really nicely balanced and easy to listen to, overall.

Jun 9, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #3,965 of 4,427
I have been using the D9200’s for just over a year and now I have an itch to try something different. Per the wife of 37 years, I need to stay with a closed back headphone. I believe in the saying, happy wife happy life. Two headphones I keeping coming back to is the ZMF Verite Closed and the new ZMF Atrium Closed. Do any of the forum members have time with the aforementioned headphones? Using a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 DAC and Schiit Volfvangr tube amp.

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #3,966 of 4,427
The VC can shift dramatically depending on pads, ultimately the 3k energy was too strong for me, i highly preferred the Denon, partly because it has more treble and i like that.
It's a good headphone, but you probably need to pad roll.
The AC is very interesting, i will borrow it soon from a another headfier for a week, he says that it slams very hard and it's almost a bass canon.

Jun 9, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #3,967 of 4,427
I have been using the D9200’s for just over a year and now I have an itch to try something different. Per the wife of 37 years, I need to stay with a closed back headphone. I believe in the saying, happy wife happy life. Two headphones I keeping coming back to is the ZMF Verite Closed and the new ZMF Atrium Closed. Do any of the forum members have time with the aforementioned headphones? Using a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 DAC and Schiit Volfvangr tube amp.
Not too far off the price of the Focal Stellia for the AC. Having a loading of 300 ohms means a quality amp will be needed. Interesting non the less even if they are hard to come by in the UK.

Jun 10, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #3,968 of 4,427
Well i tried denon D9200 headphones and i can tell you a quick sum up:
-Great bass slam, enough as quantity, great quality but somehow disjoined from other frequencies
-Treble region is definitely raised, but uniformly. It is a bright headphone, not peircing but it can be with bad recordings. Definitely tolerable. May not be for everyone though.
-Middle frequencies are a little behind, but voices are great with texture and good timbre.
-Stage is not good. It is wide but not deep. This gives a somehow boxy impression, which is weird because as i told the soundstage is wide enough. It is difficult to describe.
- It seems to be airy with great imagine, but it is more of an effect of the boosted treble, the great clarity and detail they have. Soon someone will understand that it is not that real...

Compared to Hifiman Aryas: they similarly priced but different technology. Closed vs open and Dynamic vs planar. Aryas have much better soundstage, airiness, frequency cohesion and with better response. Bass is fuller, treble is better controled (although is also boosted a little) and middle frequencies are more....real. With a little more complex songs the difference is obvious. Aryas are just technically better, more neutral with true hifi sound that do not seem to try to be hifi. Denon D9200 are defenitely inferior.

Sum up: Denon D9200 is a great headphone as closed back with impressive technicallities. However there are some issues that must be adressed and that make me wonder if they worth the money and if they worth the title of TOTL. I do not think so. I would put them at around 600-700 euros new, not more. They did not give me a new "headphone experience" or anythink i have not heard before, but done better.

They worth a try but BEFORE buying them. Perhaps my critism was more severe than it should but i have read so many good reviews that my expectations were really high. It is not a bad headphone, the opposite, but it is not up there with other TOTL.

Jun 10, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #3,969 of 4,427
I agree with you most of the things that you wrote and compare that is why I need to save money and upgrade to higher end headphones. These Denon D9200s are good but not great. Well at least the build quality and comfortable are better than many headphones that I have tried.

Jun 10, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #3,970 of 4,427
Sum up: Denon D9200 is a great headphone as closed back with impressive technicallities. However there are some issues that must be adressed and that make me wonder if they worth the money and if they worth the title of TOTL. I do not think so. I would put them at around 600-700 euros new, not more. They did not give me a new "headphone experience" or anythink i have not heard before, but done better.

They worth a try but BEFORE buying them. Perhaps my critism was more severe than it should but i have read so many good reviews that my expectations were really high. It is not a bad headphone, the opposite, but it is not up there with other TOTL.
One of the cases where I wonder if it’s the same headphone :wink:

I did not own them at the same time, but I prefer the D9200 to both HD800S and Abyss, and it makes me not want any other high end headphone I tried since I got it, like the TOTL Meze or the Stealth…

But I guess the world would be a less beautiful place if we all liked the same things.

Jun 10, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #3,971 of 4,427
One of the cases where I wonder if it’s the same headphone :wink:

I did not own them at the same time, but I prefer the D9200 to both HD800S and Abyss, and it makes me not want any other high end headphone I tried since I got it, like the TOTL Meze or the Stealth…

But I guess the world would be a less beautiful place if we all liked the same things.
Definitely one of the beauties of life is our different perception of things :) . When i listened to them (AD9200) before listening to Aryas i was impressed. But side by side comparison unveiled the superiority of Aryas (for my ears and my taste...).

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #3,972 of 4,427
Definitely one of the beauties of life is our different perception of things :) . When i listened to them (AD9200) before listening to Aryas i was impressed. But side by side comparison unveiled the superiority of Aryas (for my ears and my taste...).
Yes, especially with music as an emotional experience there's so much going on, its really hard to compare. Like with colors: I've once read about an interesting experiment where people from different nations were asked to select the color they see as "red". Selections varied quite widely from deep dark red to shiny, but were more aligned within culturally homogeneous groups. Which indicates that we learn some perceptions from others so to say, maybe because it makes it easier to communicate within a group. But it also shows how different the thing can be although all call it by the same name "red"...

Or another example from my days as a live sound engineer: I mixed for at least two different music groups from near east, and both specifically asked me to turn treble much higher than I'd done on myself. So there are not only personal preferences and perceptions in play, but also contexts and expectations... in other words I think there can't be the one model that makes everyone happy. Comfort issues aside, that's yet another dimension of individual needs.

Which leads to the universal guideline: if at all possible, try before you buy, as you said before.

Jun 10, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #3,973 of 4,427
Here's a shot of my setup : PC Streacom DA2 > xDuoo XA-10 > Denon D9200 + Dekoni Audio Elite Sheepskin + balanced cable OCC silver + ROOMs Audio Line FS Pro :)

I love the D9200 so much :heart_eyes:

20230303-174551.jpg
Dekoni doesn't list any D9200 compatible pads on their website, so I contacted them and they say "we do not have ear pads for the Denon D9200 as it has a different clip mount". Did you have to perform some kind of mod on a D7200 pad or take the clip out of the stock earpad in order to get a fit? Thanks.

Jun 10, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #3,974 of 4,427
Dekoni doesn't list any D9200 compatible pads on their website, so I contacted them and they say "we do not have ear pads for the Denon D9200 as it has a different clip mount". Did you have to perform some kind of mod on a D7200 pad or take the clip out of the stock earpad in order to get a fit? Thanks.
They are pads for Fostex TH900, but no mod needed to put them on Denon X200 series. You just take the plastic rings of the stock pads and slip them in the Dekoni pads.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #3,975 of 4,427
Hello, Head-Fi community!

I have been interested in Denon 9200 and see a lot of good comments and positive reviews about this headphones.

I am planing to use it with Astell & Kern SE 180 as portable equipment and with Cambridge Audio CX61 + Topping D90 at home. Is it good choose?

I usually listen ambient, classic rock, metal, and little jazz. How will 9200's in this genres? Or can you recommend another headphones which will good with home and portable equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back