Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #3,976 of 4,427
Hello, Head-Fi community!

I have been interested in Denon 9200 and see a lot of good comments and positive reviews about this headphones.

I am planing to use it with Astell & Kern SE 180 as portable equipment and with Cambridge Audio CX61 + Topping D90 at home. Is it good choose?

I usually listen ambient, classic rock, metal, and little jazz. How will 9200's in this genres? Or can you recommend another headphones which will good with home and portable equipment.

The Denon is pretty easy to drive, should run off most everything. Heck it sounds good from my pc. Yes, in my opinion it will be good for those genres. It has very good bass extension, clear mids, but is a tad bright in treble. Nothing offensive, your ears will adjust over time unless you want completely neutral from the start.

However, there are hifiman headphones now at great prices. This is something I have learned. But, they are a bit harder to drive planars and most of the good ones are open back.

I would recommend Denon if you absolutely want a closed back.

Jul 3, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #3,977 of 4,427
Yes, especially with music as an emotional experience there's so much going on, its really hard to compare. Like with colors: I've once read about an interesting experiment where people from different nations were asked to select the color they see as "red". Selections varied quite widely from deep dark red to shiny, but were more aligned within culturally homogeneous groups. Which indicates that we learn some perceptions from others so to say, maybe because it makes it easier to communicate within a group. But it also shows how different the thing can be although all call it by the same name "red"...
Especially considering that red color does not exist neither in the thing, nor in the light, nor in the eye, nor in the brain. But as you correctly noted it makes it easier to communicate within a group - agreed that strawberries would be red :smile_phones:
By the way, reading a review before listening to HP can also shape our impressions, they may be unwittingly similar to the conclusions of the reviews: yeah.. these are bright HP, they have little scene, etc. Although in fact our impressions could be different if we had not read the reviews first. So, it is better to listen HP at first and only then compare your impressions with what you read:thinking:

Jul 4, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #3,978 of 4,427
Especially considering that red color does not exist neither in the thing, nor in the light, nor in the eye, nor in the brain. But as you correctly noted it makes it easier to communicate within a group - agreed that strawberries would be red :smile_phones:
By the way, reading a review before listening to HP can also shape our impressions, they may be unwittingly similar to the conclusions of the reviews: yeah.. these are bright HP, they have little scene, etc. Although in fact our impressions could be different if we had not read the reviews first. So, it is better to listen HP at first and only then compare your impressions with what you read:thinking:
Absolutely. Expectation bias is very powerful… and it may not even be bad intentions of the reviewer. This is why I consider this whole „we received this item free of charge in exchange for our honest opinion“ very problematic: receiving a gift makes one see things in a better light than maybe deserved. And this then propagates to the readers.

Anyway… I know sometimes one simply cannot try out, yet that’s ultimately the only way to determine if it fits, both soundwise and for comfort.

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #3,979 of 4,427
Well i tried denon D9200 headphones and i can tell you a quick sum up:
-Great bass slam, enough as quantity, great quality but somehow disjoined from other frequencies
-Treble region is definitely raised, but uniformly. It is a bright headphone, not peircing but it can be with bad recordings. Definitely tolerable. May not be for everyone though.
-Middle frequencies are a little behind, but voices are great with texture and good timbre.
-Stage is not good. It is wide but not deep. This gives a somehow boxy impression, which is weird because as i told the soundstage is wide enough. It is difficult to describe.
- It seems to be airy with great imagine, but it is more of an effect of the boosted treble, the great clarity and detail they have. Soon someone will understand that it is not that real...

Compared to Hifiman Aryas: they similarly priced but different technology. Closed vs open and Dynamic vs planar. Aryas have much better soundstage, airiness, frequency cohesion and with better response. Bass is fuller, treble is better controled (although is also boosted a little) and middle frequencies are more....real. With a little more complex songs the difference is obvious. Aryas are just technically better, more neutral with true hifi sound that do not seem to try to be hifi. Denon D9200 are defenitely inferior.

Sum up: Denon D9200 is a great headphone as closed back with impressive technicallities. However there are some issues that must be adressed and that make me wonder if they worth the money and if they worth the title of TOTL. I do not think so. I would put them at around 600-700 euros new, not more. They did not give me a new "headphone experience" or anythink i have not heard before, but done better.

They worth a try but BEFORE buying them. Perhaps my critism was more severe than it should but i have read so many good reviews that my expectations were really high. It is not a bad headphone, the opposite, but it is not up there with other TOTL.
This is a very interesting comparison for me since i am considering buying D9200 or something better.
I have demoed the 9200 and i really liked the sound out of the box compared to HD700 which was lifeless without EQ.
Heard tons of great things about Arya but i've tried the Sundara and that was not comfortable to wear. It was gripping on my ears so i actually had to take a break from wearing them just after 30 minutes. How is the Arya comfort wise? I see Arya in my country have a huge discount as well now, so its a lot cheaper than 9200.

I am starting to think my ears only likes to wear Sennheiser. HD600,HD650,HD700,HD800 have all been incredible to wear but wanted more "fun" sounding headphones. But it could be i just need to suck it up and sacrifice the fun sound for comfort. I have been eying the HD800s as well.

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #3,982 of 4,427
Well i tried denon D9200 headphones and i can tell you a quick sum up:
-Great bass slam, enough as quantity, great quality but somehow disjoined from other frequencies
-Treble region is definitely raised, but uniformly. It is a bright headphone, not peircing but it can be with bad recordings. Definitely tolerable. May not be for everyone though.
-Middle frequencies are a little behind, but voices are great with texture and good timbre.
-Stage is not good. It is wide but not deep. This gives a somehow boxy impression, which is weird because as i told the soundstage is wide enough. It is difficult to describe.
- It seems to be airy with great imagine, but it is more of an effect of the boosted treble, the great clarity and detail they have. Soon someone will understand that it is not that real...

Compared to Hifiman Aryas: they similarly priced but different technology. Closed vs open and Dynamic vs planar. Aryas have much better soundstage, airiness, frequency cohesion and with better response. Bass is fuller, treble is better controled (although is also boosted a little) and middle frequencies are more....real. With a little more complex songs the difference is obvious. Aryas are just technically better, more neutral with true hifi sound that do not seem to try to be hifi. Denon D9200 are defenitely inferior.

Sum up: Denon D9200 is a great headphone as closed back with impressive technicallities. However there are some issues that must be adressed and that make me wonder if they worth the money and if they worth the title of TOTL. I do not think so. I would put them at around 600-700 euros new, not more. They did not give me a new "headphone experience" or anythink i have not heard before, but done better.

They worth a try but BEFORE buying them. Perhaps my critism was more severe than it should but i have read so many good reviews that my expectations were really high. It is not a bad headphone, the opposite, but it is not up there with other TOTL.
Thank you for your feedback.
How is the bass quantity of the Arya compared to the D9200 ?

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #3,984 of 4,427
Keep in mind the Arya is a planar which has the typical transparent, see-through bass, but the D9200 has WAY more punch and slam because it's a dynamic driver. I found that it almost slams as hard as a Focal.

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #3,986 of 4,427
After serveral months of listening to many kinds of music I currently now just using Denon D9200 for casual listening or game output from ps5 controller. The transient, the speed, the bass, the detail, the dynamic of Denon D9200 are way ahead Sennheiser HD650 but the tonality and beautiful midrange of Sennheiser HD650 really make me feel relax and enjoy the music more. To conclude I still think D9200 is a good solid headphone for many genres but the high is bright and the soundstage is somehow weird just left right and center. I will be back after saving enough money to buy a Bakoon flagship headphone amplifier and upgrade more audio equipments before the final judging.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #3,987 of 4,427
After serveral months of listening to many kinds of music I currently now just using Denon D9200 for casual listening or game output from ps5 controller. The transient, the speed, the bass, the detail, the dynamic of Denon D9200 are way ahead Sennheiser HD650 but the tonality and beautiful midrange of Sennheiser HD650 really make me feel relax and enjoy the music more. To conclude I still think D9200 is a good solid headphone for many genres but the high is bright and the soundstage is somehow weird just left right and center. I will be back after saving enough money to buy a Bakoon flagship headphone amplifier and upgrade more audio equipments before the final judging.
Just to leave a suggestion: possibly a DAC/amp providing crossfeed is an alternative for you. I don't have a lot of gear to compare to, but SPL for example builds Devices I would possibly try. But I'm a very happy user of the CF-function of Mojo2. Maybe this helps with soundstage/ bettering Center/right/left-issue.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #3,988 of 4,427
Today I would like to compare the sound of Denon D9200 from my mac mini m1 3.5mm plug and the audio equipments which I keep building through years of being an audiophile. The sound from Mac mini m1 is good with retaining detail, sound signature of D9200 but it is not bright or just a little bright and comparing to my audio chain like Melco M100 -> Matrix X-pdif 3 - >Schiit Gungnir Multibit -> Monolith THX AAA the sound feels brighter but the sound really enhanced soundstage a bit. To sum up I think the Mac Mini M1 really does a good job at outputting a good tonality. Plus the Sennheiser HD650 from Mac Mini m1 3.5mm is also good but lacking power and volume.

So if someone does not like Denon D9200 then should look for warm sources from DAP or Apple Mac Mini Mac Pro ... with m1 & m2 chips maybe you can change your mind. If not then Denon D9200 is not headphone. Finally I would like to praise Apple is really doing a great job at assembling good hardwares so the sound from their goods are also good too.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #3,989 of 4,427
Just acquired d7200 and I'm amazed so obviously I want the 9200. 🥰

What internally was made different for flagship status of D9200?

I am looking for more resolution and separation.
I'm also a bass head

My favorite none bass head is the Meze109pro and its's my current favorite dynamic.

Though Fostex Th900 is my bass head king.🤯
I hear 7200 with no fatigue in upper frequencies like the Th900.

I could mod the 7200 with Lawton cups and pads but those Denon cups are damn sexy 😁

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #3,990 of 4,427
Just acquired d7200 and I'm amazed so obviously I want the 9200. 🥰

What internally was made different for flagship status of D9200?

I am looking for more resolution and separation.
I'm also a bass head

My favorite none bass head is the Meze109pro and its's my current favorite dynamic.

Though Fostex Th900 is my bass head king.🤯
I hear 7200 with no fatigue in upper frequencies like the Th900.

I could mod the 7200 with Lawton cups and pads but those Denon cups are damn sexy 😁
The main difference is the neodymium magnets with a power of over 1 tesla. Bamboo, which Denon says has greater dampening properties for the ear cups. It is also fully made in Japan. Has a slightly more range. I can't say about the difference in audio performance as I've never listened to the 7200s. I find the soundstage very good indeed for a closed back headphone, very detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back