Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #2,821 of 4,391
Thanks...good to know. Leaning heavily towards the D9200 unless the Z1R has a great sale price around Black Friday / Cyber Monday (which I'm not expecting).

Sep 3, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #2,822 of 4,391
Thanks...good to know. Leaning heavily towards the D9200 unless the Z1R has a great sale price around Black Friday / Cyber Monday (which I'm not expecting).
Meh. The Z1R is actually quite a bit cheaper in Australia than the 9200 and I still chose the 9200.

Honestly, theyre both great headphones. I will say that the Denon sound like they're worth their price based on technicalities while the Sony just don't. The Sony are beautifully smooth and fun but it doesn't provide resolution that a headphone of its price should.

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,823 of 4,391
just unboxed a 9200 with serial 07606 and left channel is 1.3 dB lower than right. changed cables, changed the whole audio chain. nope. i'd thought 'hand assembled i Japan' also means 'we do better QC on these models'

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #2,824 of 4,391
just unboxed a 9200 with serial 07606 and left channel is 1.3 dB lower than right. changed cables, changed the whole audio chain. nope. i'd thought 'hand assembled i Japan' also means 'we do better QC on these models'

Attachments

• 40042248.jpeg
    40042248.jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 3, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #2,825 of 4,391
Looking at this thread overall, it probably does. Bad luck is a thing, though that's of course little consolation when it strikes you.

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #2,826 of 4,391
Looking at this thread overall, it probably does. Bad luck is a thing, though that's of course little consolation when it strikes you.
I must apologise. This is weird. I flipped it, so L cup is on R ear, and guess what.

My right ear is still louder, same as before.
Put my HD650 on - can't reproduce - perfect balance, flipped or not.
Same with MDR-1000X.

So the only conclusion I'm able to draw, is that my head is assymetrical, and this assymetry somehow only shows with 9200. Okay :D

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #2,827 of 4,391
I must apologise. [...]
You certainly don't have to apologise, it's absolutely possible that there's a problem even if other people don't have any and who would expect something like this?

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #2,828 of 4,391
There are always snobs, but the D9200 sounds excellent on pretty much everything that can decently drive them. I was just playing around and comparing a bit and both the DX160 DAP as well as the Questyle M12 dongle were doing a fine job with differences in the result that were audible (a little bit more musicality here, a hunch of wider soundstage and better detail there) but rather gradual.
Ohhh how do you like the Questyle M12? Was looking at it but the dongle dac market is getting really competitive, and I was wondering if I should get something with dual output (i.e. Hidizs S9) in case I go balanced.
Mmm, personally, I actually enjoy the MDR-Z1R's signature. It's certainly not a general crowd pleaser; it's more of an acquired taste. However, it has its share of fans, and I am one of them - I love this headphone.

With that being said, the AH-D9200 is less controversial with its tuning; it's a headphone that the general masses can enjoy, IMO. The Denon provides a more balanced approach, but doesn't skimp on the technical front either. In fact, I'd describe it as a musical, engaging headphone, with a superb bass presentation to boot.

As you've read my comparative review, you could gather my thoughts on these 2 headphones. Nevertheless, I'd say that the AH-D9200 is, ultimately, the safer choice. In fact, it remains my favorite headphone out of the many that I've owned and/or tried. :)
Yeah too bad my work discount will need me to order from a site then they'll just send me it, so I'd have to either test it elsewhere or just order blind.

The store where I'll demo D9200 doesn't carry Z1R. :frowning2:

But much appreciated on your contribution in the closed back thread and thank you for the detailed comparison. :)
Headphones have morphed into something beyond simple "ear speakers" that play music accurately, or to a degree of coloration of your preference. On a personal level, if an excellent headphone is (f)ugly, my desire to own one is diminished somewhat - I might still buy one (eventually), but it isn't at the top of the shopping list. On the flipside, if a headphone is pretty, it instantly captivates my attention; if it sounds great, it's a must-buy product.

In that sense, the AH-D9200 is a blend of both great looks and sound.
LOL this reminds me I was avoiding Argon / Alpha Prime for so long despite the raved review. I never got over the thick earpad retro look.

As for Z1R I was debating so hard partially because it looks so good LOL. But I like the new Denon design too, in my opinion better than Fostex design even though it's not bad also. Oh I hate the removable plug on Fostex though.
I must apologise. This is weird. I flipped it, so L cup is on R ear, and guess what.

My right ear is still louder, same as before.
Put my HD650 on - can't reproduce - perfect balance, flipped or not.
Same with MDR-1000X.

So the only conclusion I'm able to draw, is that my head is assymetrical, and this assymetry somehow only shows with 9200. Okay :D
Ahhhh I hope you can get it exchanged. But yeah even the best QC will have duds once in a while hope you get that sorted soon!

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #2,829 of 4,391
Ohhh how do you like the Questyle M12? Was looking at it but the dongle dac market is getting really competitive, and I was wondering if I should get something with dual output (i.e. Hidizs S9) in case I go balanced.
For the price it's pretty good, more on the analytical side, drives higher sensitivity full-size headphones like the D9200, the Peacocks and the Quad ERA-1 just fine. Can (of course) be a bit of a battery hog with these kinds of headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #2,830 of 4,391
For the price it's pretty good, more on the analytical side, drives sensitivity full-size headphones like the D9200, the Peacocks and the Quad ERA-1 just fine. Can (of course) be a bit of a battery hog with these kinds of headphones.
Lol cool sounds good. Battery won't be an issue since I plan to use it for desktop. Trying to find a desktop solution with smaller footprint. Was also looking at Luxury and Precision W2 or Mojo.

Previously had a Asgard 3 and thought it felt like having an encyclopedia on my desk. Though for small desktop solution I wonder what else is good.

I guess I can try with my Dragonfly Red and M9XX first and go from there lol. Maybe I'm overthinking this before I even got the headphone LOL.

EDIT: my friend suggest I go Violectric V200 + Soekris 1321 as long term "don't need to upgrade ever again" plan. Would that work? Although if I can find something smaller in size that would be best lol.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #2,831 of 4,391
EDIT: my friend suggest I go Violectric V200 + Soekris 1321 as long term "don't need to upgrade ever again" plan. Would that work? Although if I can find something smaller in size that would be best lol.
The statement "don't need to upgrade ever again" is only valid if you like your music played the same way your friend does.
E.g. I had the Violectric V281 before and is still a marvellous amplifier. I thought this would be the amp to keep forever, but I sold him...why?...listing preference changes over time and now I want my transient response as fast and impactful as possible and this quality the "old" Violectric line of amps does not offer as others can offer (in my opinion).
This is not bad or worse, its just a personal preference. So Violectric V200 + Soekris 1321 might be working wonderful for you or not....you will never know until you try :)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,832 of 4,391
The statement "don't need to upgrade ever again" is only valid if you like your music played the same way your friend does.
E.g. I had the Violectric V281 before and is still a marvellous amplifier. I thought this would be the amp to keep forever, but I sold him...why?...listing preference changes over time and now I want my transient response as fast and impactful as possible and this quality the "old" Violectric line of amps does not offer as others can offer (in my opinion).
This is not bad or worse, its just a personal preference. So Violectric V200 + Soekris 1321 might be working wonderful for you or not....you will never know until you try :)
Or we change cause we read a review and enjoy buying new things.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,833 of 4,391
Yeah too bad my work discount will need me to order from a site then they'll just send me it, so I'd have to either test it elsewhere or just order blind.

The store where I'll demo D9200 doesn't carry Z1R. :frowning2:

But much appreciated on your contribution in the closed back thread and thank you for the detailed comparison. :)

LOL this reminds me I was avoiding Argon / Alpha Prime for so long despite the raved review. I never got over the thick earpad retro look.
Well, the AH-D9200 is a versatile headphone; it plays well with myriad genres of music, has a pleasant signature, and is easily driven from a variety of equipment. I'd say that you can comfortably forget about the MDR-Z1R - for now - and go straight for the Denon. I'm confident that you won't regret the decision. :)

Plus, those bamboo cups look sweet, don't they?

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #2,834 of 4,391
Well, the AH-D9200 is a versatile headphone; it plays well with myriad genres of music, has a pleasant signature, and is easily driven from a variety of equipment. I'd say that you can comfortably forget about the MDR-Z1R - for now - and go straight for the Denon. I'm confident that you won't regret the decision. :)

Plus, those bamboo cups look sweet, don't they?
I concur...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back