Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
May 20, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #2,506 of 4,398
Upgraditis is nudging me so I have some questions to see where one would land. I have been very happy with my D5200. Though I am curious about what path to take since the LCD X has been a grail headphone of mine despite not knowing what any planar sounds like. Just have seen all of the gushing over it and moreso lately with the tuning of the 2021 version. However, the D5200 has been such a pleasant experience that it makes me wonder about the d7200 and the d9200. What are the improvements that one would expect? Also it seems their dollar value isn't as high as the d5200. Yet how would something like the 7200/9200 compare to the LCDX 2021(I know open versus closed) since I do not need closed but I appreciate the different sound presentations. If I am going to drop $1k+ on a can then it will be on a singular headphone... for now.
I have both.. And love both.. But the D9200 definitely remains my go-to all-rounder for fun, relaxation and musical enjoyment whereas the LCD-X more leans towards my need to be able to really dive into the music for more critical and analytical listening. The D9200 never wears on me, whereas I sometimes have to put the LCD-X down when I'm done.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #2,507 of 4,398
I have both.. And love both.. But the D9200 definitely remains my go-to all-rounder for fun, relaxation and musical enjoyment whereas the LCD-X more leans towards my need to be able to really dive into the music for more critical and analytical listening. The D9200 never wears on me, whereas I sometimes have to put the LCD-X down when I'm done.
I see, have you listened to the lower models of the Denon line up? Like I love using the D5200 for everything(music, games, and movies). It is really versatile plus I can listen for hours on end. Especially when I compare it to my other headphones.

Really wish there was somewhere reasonable that I could go to and check out the headphones and experience them for myself.

May 20, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,508 of 4,398
I see, have you listened to the lower models of the Denon line up? Like I love using the D5200 for everything(music, games, and movies). It is really versatile plus I can listen for hours on end. Especially when I compare it to my other headphones.

Really wish there was somewhere reasonable that I could go to and check out the headphones and experience them for myself
If you love the 5200, you will simply adore the 7200. The 9200 is a completely different beast in the sense that if you adore the 7200, you will definitely realise that the D9200 further perfects what the D7200 brings, but it's no longer a big difference. Instead the D9200 bridges that last distance from beautiful to stunningly refined. It abandons the robustness of the D7200 lower end and replaces it by a more layered refinement and downward extension as well as a fantastic attack... The 9200 for me is definitely (closed back) end-game, and definitely capable of competing with much much more expensive heaphones. A feat that the D7200 and D5200 do not accomplish..

May 20, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #2,509 of 4,398
I had all three .. And after upgrading never looked back .. I found the D7200 to be a fantastic match with my FiiO M11 Pro and the D9200 a fantastic match with the FiiO M15 .... Had I known the differences between the three, I would have started with the D7200 immediately ... Or actually, gone to the D9200 immediately. Because that currently is my end-game closed-back .. the D9200 sits so darn close to the ZMF Verite .. and the D7200 delivers at least 80% of the D9200 :wink:

Note: about your comment about fun listening .. In your situation I would even consider skipping the celestee and the D5200 altogether. The D7200 and D9200 are both fantastic all-rounders. One might say they're both a bit tame, but that actually makes them so well-suited for all kinds of music .. And don't underestimate the bass attack of both headphones .. They can seriously rumble when needed ...

may i know how close is the D9200 compared to the ZMF VC in terms of sound? would like to consider the D9200 given the price difference.

May 20, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #2,510 of 4,398
may i know how close is the D9200 compared to the ZMF VC in terms of sound? would like to consider the D9200 given the price difference.
This incredible @Malevolent comparison helped me a lot to decide. I thought: for almost the same Vérite price I can get the Denon (I got them for 1100 €) and the Sonys (I'll hope to get them for around 1500 €) :relaxed:

Right now, I'm listening to "Awaking the Centuries" by Haggard with the 9200s... Incredible, althought is a not good produced album...

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #2,511 of 4,398
How Denon AH-D9200 compares to the AKG K371 and Focal Clear? I own K371 and I consider upgrading to AH-D9200 or Focal Clear I listen mostly to older rock (AC/DC, Dire Straits) and laid-back modern pop like K-Pop.

Focal Clear is my other option. They are open; closed might be better for me, but if there is a significant difference in sound quality I might choose open headphones.

May 22, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #2,512 of 4,398
Talked to my "lokal" hifi shop,and denon are having problem with delivery and manufactory because of covid-19.So they dont think the 7200 will arrive in may.They couldnt give me any date.So it looks like i will have to wait.Hopefully i will have them next month.I remember when i ordered the modhouse argon t50rp mk3 last year.Then i waited 5 months 😅

May 23, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #2,514 of 4,398
How Denon AH-D9200 compares to the AKG K371 and Focal Clear? I own K371 and I consider upgrading to AH-D9200 or Focal Clear I listen mostly to older rock (AC/DC, Dire Straits) and laid-back modern pop like K-Pop.

Focal Clear is my other option. They are open; closed might be better for me, but if there is a significant difference in sound quality I might choose open headphones.
Haven’t listened listened much to the Clear, but the D9200 would likely be closer to what you’re used to from the AKG, with its slightly elevated bass etc.
I found the Clear immensely boring to listen to, as it’s sound signature does nothing to “help” the music, like increased low end or sparkle, so I just found most recordings to fall flat, when listening on it - even HD800 was more fun sounding to me.
I know many love the clear, so can’t speak for you, but for me it was no contest.

May 23, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #2,515 of 4,398

I own both the Clear and the D9200 but have only had the latter for a few days, so my impressions with the Denons are preliminary. In general I prefer open backed headphones for the sense of spaciousness compared to closed backs but I wanted a closed back for some variation, particularly for what I have found in auditioning is generally better bass response. I am not a bass head so better doesn't necessarily mean more.

I use some minimal EQ on all my headphones, I haven't found a HP yet that doesn't have at least a couple of frequency response issues according to my taste and don't expect I ever will. I will try to summarise my general listening impressions, which could differ to the taste of others:
  • I like punchy clean bass and I find both of these headphones a little muddy in the mid bass, I attenuate a couple of dB centred around 180-200Hz on both.
  • The Clears can sound shouty/nasally to me and I attenuate 2-3dB around 1300Hz as well as boost the sub bass, which is lacking.
  • I boost the D9200 2-3dB around 2150Hz for a little more brightness in the mids and better/more forward female vocals, I attenuate 3dB at around 5400Hz to tame what is a bright peak to my ears. The treble spikes above 10kHz don't bother me and I feel they make this headphone what it is, even though I probably struggle to hear above 12-13kHz these days.
Both of these headphones have their strengths & weaknesses when comparing to each other and I won't go into detail here but I will point out that from my few days with the Denons, I feel they easily outperform the Clears in two critical areas - timbre/tone and bass/slam. The Clears can have a slightly metallic sound against the much more natural/realistic timbre on the Denons and when it comes to bass response, the Denons dig deep and reasonably hard - which is what I was looking for, especially with EDM/house and similar music.

The only possible cons with the D9200 are the fitment size and the ear pads. I don't have a particularly large head but I am alternating between the last and 2nd last size adjustment. The pad shape is a bit weird to me with the much wider padding behind the ear but I suppose that I'll get used to it. In contrast, the Clears are wonderful as far as fitment and comfort goes despite their heavier weight.

I'm into a lot of 70s & 80s rock as well but I'll use both of these as well as my Sundaras to listen to it depending on my mood and the type of presentation I'm feeling like at the time. I will say however that if you want that extra bit of slam in your percussion and crunch in your guitars, then the D9200 is probably the pick.

May 23, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,516 of 4,398
I would like to thank all the people here that wrote wonders about these Denons, specially to @Malevolent who made comparisons with other TOTL closed back headphones and helped to me (and to some other) a lot to choose/decide for the Denons prior to other headphones available.

Usually, I alternate my listening sessions through my headphones (one or two days for each), but a few days ago I decided to use only the Denons for a few days and put a playlist with some albums (some that I've already listen to and other from genres or subgenres that I know, from my experience, these Denons really shine on)... And I'm enjoying a lot the experience, even I have forgotten a little my thirst to upgrade with the Rögnirs.

Next, I will do the same with my re-purchased DT 1990 Pros :L3000:

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #2,517 of 4,398
I'm into a lot of 70s & 80s rock as well but I'll use both of these as well as my Sundaras to listen to it depending on my mood and the type of presentation I'm feeling like at the time. I will say however that if you want that extra bit of slam in your percussion and crunch in your guitars, then the D9200 is probably the pick.
I do exactly the same with my 9200s and my DT 1990 Pros with symphonic rock, in some albums I prefer the Denons and in other the Beyers... And sometimes each one give me a different register on one certain album that I might prefer due to my mood :beerchug:

May 23, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #2,518 of 4,398
What a great idea @Terriero! I happen to have an AH-D9200 day as well, perhaps I should make it a few :)

The bass on these cans is pretty incredible. I don't think there is anything like it.

@Terriero, great avatar as well!

May 24, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #2,519 of 4,398
Upgraditis is nudging me so I have some questions to see where one would land. I have been very happy with my D5200. Though I am curious about what path to take since the LCD X has been a grail headphone of mine despite not knowing what any planar sounds like. Just have seen all of the gushing over it and moreso lately with the tuning of the 2021 version. However, the D5200 has been such a pleasant experience that it makes me wonder about the d7200 and the d9200. What are the improvements that one would expect? Also it seems their dollar value isn't as high as the d5200. Yet how would something like the 7200/9200 compare to the LCDX 2021(I know open versus closed) since I do not need closed but I appreciate the different sound presentations. If I am going to drop $1k+ on a can then it will be on a singular headphone... for now.

There is an increase in musical resolution from the D5200 to D7200 to D9200.
The D5200 driver is a very good all-rounder, perhaps the best from that respect. The D9200 does have a treble issue in comparison.
The D7200 doesn't have a treble issue, but sounds a bit heavy and at least some early versions sounded honky. Still, my modded D7200 is almost linear (downwards slope).
However, the D9200 is quite far above in both bass and treble extensions, resolution and musicality. The problem is the treble, which might bother some, but right equipment choice can mitigate the issue.

Recently I made a mix & match comparison between the Denons I still have (D7200 and D9200):
- driver to driver, in the same enclosure, the D9200 driver sounds more open, brighter and with better bass resolution
- the D7200 driver is not bright, but the more bass weight makes it sound less open
- when compared the walnut vs bamboo cups with the same drivers, the walnut cups sound more dull, might be good for measurements, but not for music
- the bamboo cups make a big difference with every driver.

So if I was to assemble the best Denon configurations, considering all drivers, cups and pads, I would start with the bamboo cups and the common housing/headband.
- then, the D7200 drivers with the bamboo cups and D9200 cables were rather surprisingly good, definitely the best value choice, with none of the D7200 issues.
- but the D9200 drivers with the bamboo cups and D7200 cables were still the best sounding, for me. The D9200 drivers do change the character quite much, some will like it more, but others might be happier with the D7200 drivers, because the D9200 drivers are still on the brighter side of neutral. I would choose the D9200 drivers, though.

So if you want to improve on the D5200 (which don't have a treble problem like the D9200 and neither have a midrange problem like some D7200s), just buy replacement bamboo cups from the Denon importer in your country and assemble them on the D5200.

If this sounds too steep or expensive, try Stax 009 or 007 earpads, directly attached to the housing (with double-sided adhesive tape/blobs) and enjoy bigger stage, deeper bass and more direct/transparent sound. Though from the pads used on the D5200, D7200 and D9200, if there is any difference, IMHO the D5200 pads are the best.

May 26, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #2,520 of 4,398
I just bought a 2021 LCD-X and I find it sounds leaner and less musical than the D9200s. I would say that the D9200 resolves micro-details even better than the LCD, but at the same time it's more musical and easier to listen to. I've been looking for an open-back companion for my D9200s and below are the current contenders: 2021 Audeze LCD-X, 2020 LCD-2 (LCD-2F), Quad ERA-1, Beyerdynamic T1.2.

The LCD-2s are really beautiful, and sound good with EQ, but nowhere near as resolving as the LCD-X. The Quad ERA's are interesting. They have a nice sound signature, and only require a little EQ. Definitely a fun sound signature, but the technical performance isn't on the same level as the LCD-X. Switching from the Quads you instantly notice how much cleaner the LCD-X sounds, and the X also resolves microdetails better.

20210526_094950.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back