Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #1,623 of 4,412
Oct 14, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,624 of 4,412
I received my Denons yesterday and unless you have a big head as mine, these are the most balanced HPs I’ve ever tried. Its a shame the headband is making a hot spot on the top of my head, because the sound signature of these beauties is incredible and unmatched vs others on my personal experience (HD660s, T5p 2nd, Elegia, AWKT, AP2000ti, WP900).

The highs (9.5/10) are just perfect, a lot of detail, and when I say a lot, is a lot!!!! When I read the reviews, I was expecting more bass (9/10), however they are simply awesome in quality and the punch is there for all genres (R&B, Folk, Rock, Jazz and more). The mids (9.0) are there too, not recessed in any way as a V-Shaped sound would suggest and for the first half hour of listening, I never wanted to EQ them in any way, they are simply made for my taste. Detail and more detail!

Then... the headaches came and all the pleasure got away with the pain winning the battle and just couldn’t wear them any more. Had the same issue with the Elegia. I’ve been trying to place the headband on different angles to see if I find a pleasant way to wear them, but so far no luck at all. Comfort: 4.5/10

I am a MSR7b fan and I can tell you this: You want a real upgrade for your ATH while maintaining the same SQ... The D9200 delivers! 9.0/10 on my short experience so far.

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #1,625 of 4,412
I received my Denons yesterday and unless you have a big head as mine, these are the most balanced HPs I’ve ever tried. Its a shame the headband is making a hot spot on the top of my head, because the sound signature of these beauties is incredible and unmatched vs others on my personal experience (HD660s, T5p 2nd, Elegia, AWKT, AP2000ti, WP900).

The highs (9.5/10) are just perfect, a lot of detail, and when I say a lot, is a lot!!!! When I read the reviews, I was expecting more bass (9/10), however they are simply awesome in quality and the punch is there for all genres (R&B, Folk, Rock, Jazz and more). The mids (9.0) are there too, not recessed in any way as a V-Shaped sound would suggest and for the first half hour of listening, I never wanted to EQ them in any way, they are simply made for my taste. Detail and more detail!

Then... the headaches came and all the pleasure got away with the pain winning the battle and just couldn’t wear them any more. Had the same issue with the Elegia. I’ve been trying to place the headband on different angles to see if I find a pleasant way to wear them, but so far no luck at all. Comfort: 4.5/10

I am a MSR7b fan and I can tell you this: You want a real upgrade for your ATH while maintaining the same SQ... The D9200 delivers! 9.0/10 on my short experience so far.
Can you compare the MSR7b and D9200? I'm curious if MSR7b are worth looking into.

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #1,626 of 4,412
Can you compare the MSR7b and D9200? I'm curious if MSR7b are worth looking into.
Technically speaking it’s a no-contest. D9200 are obviously better. We are talking about a Hp 6x the price of the other, however, as everybody knows, is not 6x the quality.

Although it is true that in the categories of detail, soundstage, imaging, the d9200 are far superior, their sound signature is very similar. I don't value soundstage as a must, so it may be a big difference for some.

The lower end rumbles more on the D9200 and is way better resolving, however, on both, you perceive tightness, detail, extension, and no bloated or boomy artificial sound.

The highs on the D9200 again, are perfect, however, the best quality of the MSR7b is also the highs. The only two headphones that I´ve ever perceived better treble than the MSR7b are the AP2000ti and of course the D9200.

Finally, the mids are consistent with the sound signature on both, performing pretty well and not recessed as maybe the WP900 or other V-Shaped Hps. For $250 I haven't found a better value price equation than the MSR7b.

Bottom line, for my needs, the D9200 is the big and wealthy brother of the MSR7b with more resolving bass and awesome detail performance. If it wasn't for comfort, the D9200 were my end game HPs.

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #1,627 of 4,412
Crinacle updated his list with over 100 headphones. Denon D7200 and D9200 are both on same level C and commented as "Generally weird and wonky tuning that can also get rather harsh at times."
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

Now it's on the list - so it exists😆
C+ Ouch :lol:

We all enjoy different flavors, but my goodness that is a low assessment. Its rated lower than the audio-technica's, whoa. Guess he doesn't like closed back cans.

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #1,629 of 4,412
C+ Ouch :lol:

We all enjoy different flavors, but my goodness that is a low assessment. Its rated lower than the audio-technica's, whoa. Guess he doesn't like closed back cans.
He ostensibly doesn't enjoy or appreciate the innate characteristics of most closed-back cans. Moreover, His list has a huge subjective element that is often overlooked; at the end of the day, it is one man's opinion, so don't lose sleep over it. For example, Crin rates the Denon AH-D5000 and the E-MU Teak above the AH-D9200; on my list, the Denon flagship stands head and shoulders above these 2 headphones.

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #1,630 of 4,412
I'm honestly very glad that I don't experience any comfort issues with the headband. Your less-than-positive experience is not the first, and most definitely, not the last, too - I've read so many anecdotes of people having problems with the headband design on the new Denon headphones.

You could try adding extra padding to the headband? Something like a ZMF Pilot Pad?

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,631 of 4,412
He ostensibly doesn't enjoy or appreciate the innate characteristics of most closed-back cans. Moreover, His list has a huge subjective element that is often overlooked; at the end of the day, it is one man's opinion, so don't lose sleep over it. For example, Crin rates the Denon AH-D5000 and the E-MU Teak above the AH-D9200; on my list, the Denon flagship stands head and shoulders above these 2 headphones.

I agree about the EMU and 5000 (I owned both). The 9200 is a significant upgrade to both. Both are great cans though, on their own accord.

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,632 of 4,412
Technically speaking it’s a no-contest. D9200 are obviously better. We are talking about a Hp 6x the price of the other, however, as everybody knows, is not 6x the quality.

Although it is true that in the categories of detail, soundstage, imaging, the d9200 are far superior, their sound signature is very similar. I don't value soundstage as a must, so it may be a big difference for some.

The lower end rumbles more on the D9200 and is way better resolving, however, on both, you perceive tightness, detail, extension, and no bloated or boomy artificial sound.

The highs on the D9200 again, are perfect, however, the best quality of the MSR7b is also the highs. The only two headphones that I´ve ever perceived better treble than the MSR7b are the AP2000ti and of course the D9200.

Finally, the mids are consistent with the sound signature on both, performing pretty well and not recessed as maybe the WP900 or other V-Shaped Hps. For $250 I haven't found a better value price equation than the MSR7b.

Bottom line, for my needs, the D9200 is the big and wealthy brother of the MSR7b with more resolving bass and awesome detail performance. If it wasn't for comfort, the D9200 were my end game HPs.

Don't give up. I had some pain as well but as some advised here, give them a chance to break in.
I also shaved my head so these are the lengths one goes to enjoy these cans.

To those who claim that the 9200 have less Bass, we should not ignore the way the bass is reproduced. If you are looking for a woofer like sound that will make your brain pop, then take the D2000. The 9200 has better bass than all Denon headphones out there but this is a quality bass that is effortless. punchy and precise. It does not linger in a woofer style and when you hear it you appreciate the quality. The woofer like cans tend to cover other frequencies whereas the Denon 9200 does not.

Also, I recommend listening to this track on the Denon at a volume that makes it punch properly.
You will not remove them for another hour :).

Attachments

• Alle Farben.JPG
    Alle Farben.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Rebel.JPG
    Rebel.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,634 of 4,412
I agree about the EMU and 5000 (I owned both). The 9200 is a significant upgrade to both. Both are great cans though, on their own accord.
Yeah, don't get me wrong. I love both headphones, too. I'm a huge fan of the Fostex and Denon headphones based on the bio-cellulose dynamic driver that was used in the original Denon AH-D7000 (and its brethren). The bass produced by these drivers are some of the finest in the business, Still, the Teak is a clear step (or 2) below the AH-D9200.

No matter which way you look at it, subjective preferences rule the roost in this hobby, I suppose.

Oct 14, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,635 of 4,412
I also shaved my head so these are the lengths one goes to enjoy these cans.
I imagine my wife asking me why I shaved my head... :relieved:

By the way, are these Denons forgiving with bad masterings or productions? I listen to a lot of 90-2000 melodic metal and mostly are bad mastering (think in Epica, The sins of the beloved, Haggard, After Forever, Therion, Tristania, Nightwish, Dark Tranquility or Graveworm... to list a few).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back