Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,651 of 4,427
I imagine my wife asking me why I shaved my head... :relieved:

By the way, are these Denons forgiving with bad masterings or productions? I listen to a lot of 90-2000 melodic metal and mostly are bad mastering (think in Epica, The sins of the beloved, Haggard, After Forever, Therion, Tristania, Nightwish, Dark Tranquility or Graveworm... to list a few).
I'm listen to these band as well.
My advice in regard to your question is to go with the D7200. :wink:
It's a better fit for symphonic metal, imo.
Stands right behind the D9200 but with better bass for metal.
Never liked it more to listen to my favourite bands as with the D7200.

List of bands i do listen at the moment:

Nightwish, Beyond the Black, Kamelot, Amaranthe, Ad Infinitum, Volturian, Evanescence, Frozen Crown, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, Unleash the Archers, Within Temptation.
Even Foy Vance sounds outstanding. ^^

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,652 of 4,427
Just got my setup, and very happy with this! D9200 sounds just so damn good with this combo Hiby R8 SS + Romi Audio BX2 Plus + Romi Audio Sensation Silver 4.4mm - 4.4mm Bal Out + D9200 = Sensational bliss! :)

Wanted to upgrade the stock cable, not sure if I need it right now, but will get the Forza Audioworks next month!

20201015_145042.jpg

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,653 of 4,427
Nightwish, Beyond the Black, Kamelot, Amaranthe, Ad Infinitum, Volturian, Evanescence, Frozen Crown, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, Unleash the Archers, Within Temptation.

It's fair to say that you have metal in our veins instead of blood :L3000:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 15, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,654 of 4,427
Didn't see any of Sony's flagships (Z7M2 or Z1R).

Thanks for this suggestion. Early in my "quest for my perfect HP", I read that Sony's are usually quite bass heavy and more V-shaped sound signature. It became clear early on that I enjoy more of a bright HP..... so I guess I didn't bother looking at Sony's anymore.

At this point, I'm not sure anything is going to beat the d9200..... but if you think these are worth a shot, I'll try 'em!

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,655 of 4,427
IFI Micro IDSDs amp seems to be very engaging and also adding some low end but missing a tiny bit of clarity compared to my new RME ADI.

micro iDSD BL was tuned to focus on tone more than detail extraction, so there's something in what you wrote :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 15, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,656 of 4,427
micro iDSD BL was tuned to focus on tone more than detail extraction, so there's something in what you wrote :)
For fun listening these are still great, can suggest them even with the 9200 I have to say.
The RME ADI-2 DAC sounds really audiophile neutral and each time I switch to the IDSD I get more into head banging mood while we are talking about Rock and Metal.
Have been happily using them also with my LCD-2s
I will send the RME back while I have to say that I am yet missing its volume dependant loudness function - haven't seen such a thing anywhere else
Am now waiting for the IBASSO DX-220 max to arrive...

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #1,657 of 4,427
When I hear D9200 above Stellia, I like it :D
I'd rate the AH-D9200 above the Stellia, too. The Focal is a great headphone, no doubt, and it's one that I'm happy to add to my current collection. However, in comparison with some of the other major players in the closed-back sphere, I think that it is rather overpriced. For example, I'd place the AH-D9200, the Vérité Closed, the MDR-Z1R, and the ATH-AWKT above the Stellia in my personal "Best Hits" list. Ultimately, it's a game of subjectivity and personal preferences - at the TOTL level, the major differences stem from tonality changes, as opposed to technical capabilities.

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #1,658 of 4,427
Maybe it has been mentioned in the last 111 pages, do you guys have a recommendation for a 4.4mm balanced cable for my new IBASSO coming in soon to be connected to my 9200 - best around Europe to avoid the shipping delays and taxes?

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,659 of 4,427
I'd take the 9200 over the Sony MDR-Z1R (I own both, but I think the Denon is better).

And for what it's worth: I used to own the Focal Utopia, and, as impressive as that headphone is, I'd still take the 9200 over it (I know though apples and oranges-- open and closed). Just sayin' how highly I regard Denon. (And their 7200 as well).

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,660 of 4,427
I listen to / follow almost all of those bands as well. I'm not sure anyone could give you a definitive yes or no to that question, but they do a better job than most others, that's for sure. Especially in the highs. Where I'd notice some sibilance with, say, tracks on Epica's first album, or Dokken's 80's and 90's stuff (think "Prisoner") in other HP's, the d9200's do a real nice job of smoothing out the highs without losing them. I like bright sound, which is probably why these have been my favorites so far of all the ones I've tried. Hope that helps.

(Before DT 1990 Pro or Beyer DT 150) I listened to those bands with very simple IEMs (that came with my mp3 players) because I couldn´t enjoy with Senn HD 800 and with my HD 555 they were just ok.

Then I bought Beyer T1 rev 3 just a month ago and couldn´t enjoy the more complex music (but enjoyed a lot, the bass was incredible, for example: the Metallica albums, Stratovarius or Nightwish - I never enjoyed properly Stratovarius or Nightwish with any HPs-), but I had to return the T1s because of comfort problems :frowning2:

Your message helps me a lot, because I see you enjoy those bands with the 9200... :)

I'm listen to these band as well.
My advice in regard to your question is to go with the D7200. :wink:
It's a better fit for symphonic metal, imo.
Stands right behind the D9200 but with better bass for metal.
Never liked it more to listen to my favourite bands as with the D7200.

List of bands i do listen at the moment:

Even Foy Vance sounds outstanding. ^^

I'm also interested in the 7200... But don't know if I will tolerate them because of it's comfort issues (headband) that some forum mebers reported . Maybe I'll try one day if I fall in love with 9200 :wink:

By the way, I love the first Within temptation album (the true gothic one :wink:) and the second "Mother earth" I like so much the turn they gave in that album... But with the third I noticed a turn to "Evanescence" sound, more comercial... Same happened to me with Lacrimas profundere.

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #1,661 of 4,427
I'd take the 9200 over the Sony MDR-Z1R (I own both, but I think the Denon is better).

And for what it's worth: I used to own the Focal Utopia, and, as impressive as that headphone is, I'd still take the 9200 over it (I know though apples and oranges-- open and closed). Just sayin' how highly I regard Denon. (And their 7200 as well).
Comparing against T1 rev3? The user @albertmuc compared both and preferred the T1 rev3. I know that they are different, but because you commented that Utopia... :wink:

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,662 of 4,427
9200 vs. T1.3? I don't know. I just got the T1.3 a week ago. But I'm liking it a lot. Still, the Denon's are keepers-- they aren't going anywhere.

Edit: I will say though that if people like the 9200 top end, they'll probably find the T1.3 a little dark. (It's just right for me-- I usually dial back the 9200 treble a bit).

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #1,663 of 4,427
Terriero said:
I'm also interested in the 7200... But don't know if I will tolerate them because of it's comfort issues (headband) that some forum mebers reported . Maybe I'll try one day if I fall in love with 9200 :wink:

I have both sitting on my desk right now. The headband on the 7200's are definitely not as comfortable as the 9200. And, IMHO, I enjoy the sound much better on the d9200, especially rock & metal...... but take that for what it is, just some random guy's opinion on the internet. :)

Oct 16, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #1,664 of 4,427
I'd rate the AH-D9200 above the Stellia, too. The Focal is a great headphone, no doubt, and it's one that I'm happy to add to my current collection. However, in comparison with some of the other major players in the closed-back sphere, I think that it is rather overpriced. For example, I'd place the AH-D9200, the Vérité Closed, the MDR-Z1R, and the ATH-AWKT above the Stellia in my personal "Best Hits" list. Ultimately, it's a game of subjectivity and personal preferences - at the TOTL level, the major differences stem from tonality changes, as opposed to technical capabilities.
I owned Stellia and VC. I bought two identical pure silver Arctic Cables and the dynamics of the Stellia, with the aftermarket cable, put it ahead of the VC and the VC was sold. Out of the box, the tone of the VC was warm and friendly, but my Stellia outperformed it. I have since sold the Stellia, so I can't compare it to the D9200.

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,665 of 4,427
I owned Stellia and VC. I bought two identical pure silver Arctic Cables and the dynamics of the Stellia, with the aftermarket cable, put it ahead of the VC and the VC was sold. Out of the box, the tone of the VC was warm and friendly, but my Stellia outperformed it. I have since sold the Stellia, so I can't compare it to the D9200.
That's interesting to note, and it's clear that this hobby is very much driven by subjective preferences. :)

A few months back, I spent a really long time deciding on a "flagship" closed-back headphone. I had set aside a war chest for 1-2 headphones, and I was intending to purchase a TOTL closed-back solution. I spent some time going around the various top-end models, including the ATH-AWKT, the AH-D9200, the HD 820, the Stellia, and the Vérité Closed. Consequently, after endless days and countless hours of auditioning these flagships over a few weeks, I came to the following ranked conclusion (on sound alone) -

1) Vérité Closed / AH-D9200 (a tie)
2) ATH-AWKT
3) Stellia (not too far behind the top 2, actually)
4) HD 820 (the gap between the 3rd and 4th places is actually a chasm)

I ended up purchasing both the ZMF and Denon cans, and I have been mulling on a purchase of either the Focal or the Audio-Technica. My wife is nagging a lot, though, so I might refrain from making any additional purchases for the time being.

With that said, I greatly enjoyed my time with the top 4 cans, and I can see how users looking for the best of the best (in closed form) might swing for either, or all, of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back