Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #1,591 of 4,427
At least we got better measurments from Crin to prove my point that the treble isn't bright as people say. There is a peak at 5k, and most energy is as under 5k.

I had arguments with you know who that showed me his measurements from unstandardized equipment tell me 9200 has greater treble than HD800?!

Just sayin... because I was saying there was no strong treble. But, like a lot of closed-backs, the response isn't the pretty Harman type. Lol

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #1,593 of 4,427
Would really be interesting what the reason for the ranking is and to get more information than this short statement - even if it is "don't like Denon or can't start a hype train with a brand like Denon."

I don't like the way the newer Denons are tuned and so ultimately I feel like they are bottlenecked by their tonality, but they are decently technical (but since I rate using "lower of the two" as the initial baseline for my weighted averaging system, the Denons get pushed down).

The older X000 Denons though? Sign me right up. I'm a sucker for that Foster biodyna sound.

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,594 of 4,427
I don't like the way the newer Denons are tuned and so ultimately I feel like they are bottlenecked by their tonality, but they are decently technical (but since I rate using "lower of the two" as the initial baseline for my weighted averaging system, the Denons get pushed down).

The older X000 Denons though? Sign me right up. I'm a sucker for that Foster biodyna sound.
20190326_184337.jpg

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #1,595 of 4,427

Thanks for your explanations. I just wondered, that you also called the D7200 as sometimes harsh. I have both cans. D9200 can get harsh if paired with wrong source, but D7200 I would never call harsh.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #1,596 of 4,427

Hey Crin, I would give it more listen if possible. I think it warrants a extended listen to get a better idea. I initially wasn't all that impressed with it, and this was given the hype with comparison with HD800/Utopia, but if we take that out, there are some characteristics that stands out that makes this one of more engaging and fun headphones. I do prefer the Clear over this one, but these Denons are closedback, so it's in a different catagory.

Perhaps you put a lot of importance on imaging.

This is what I wanted to see, the comparison between D7200 and D9200. Looks like there isn't much different in the tonality besides slightly more energy in the low treble with the D9200.

graph.png

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #1,597 of 4,427
Hey Crin, I would give it more listen if possible. I think it warrants a extended listen to get a better idea. I initially wasn't all that impressed with it, and this was given the hype with comparison with HD800/Utopia, but if we take that out, there are some characteristics that stands out that makes this one of more engaging and fun headphones. I do prefer the Clear over this one, but these Denons are closedback, so it's in a different catagory.

Perhaps you put a lot of importance on imaging.

This is what I wanted to see, the comparison between D7200 and D9200. Looks like there isn't much different in the tonality besides slightly more energy in the low treble with the D9200.

graph.png
There is an other measurement comparison from german page miniklangwunder:
D7200-vs.-D9200_2-1024x543.jpg

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #1,598 of 4,427
There is an other measurement comparison from german page miniklangwunder:

Not sure what measurement rig is being used so I'll ignore 1kHz+, but it seems like they're using a Diffuse Field compensation so I'll use that as well (and keeping the colour coordination the same):

graph (71).png

I speculate that they didn't get a proper seal on the D9200, which is why there's less bass compared to the D7200 on their rig.

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,601 of 4,427
Not sure what measurement rig is being used so I'll ignore 1kHz+, but it seems like they're using a Diffuse Field compensation so I'll use that as well (and keeping the colour coordination the same):

graph (71).png

I speculate that they didn't get a proper seal on the D9200, which is why there's less bass compared to the D7200 on their rig.
As mentioned earlier, I have both cans and the D7200 has more bass than D9200. So the equality of the bass level in your measurements surprised me a bit. It may not be as much as in the other chart, but it is there and has been confirmed by some other members.

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #1,602 of 4,427
so like.... to people that both have/had the 9200 and 7200 .... is it really an upgrade?
In my opinion, this is an upgrade in terms of precision. Seems that the D9200's driver is faster. The D9200 has a little less bass, but more precise, slightly recessed mids and elevated, more precise highs. Everyone has to decide for themselves whether the extra charge is worth it. For me it's worth it.

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #1,605 of 4,427
In my opinion, this is an upgrade in terms of precision. Seems that the D9200's driver is faster. The D9200 has a little less bass, but more precise, slightly recessed mids and elevated, more precise highs. Everyone has to decide for themselves whether the extra charge is worth it. For me it's worth it.

I agree. I had them side-by-side just last week. I'm not sure I could articulate exactly why, but the d9200 was the clear winner for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back