Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #1,577 of 4,412
Oct 12, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #1,580 of 4,412
Crinacle updated his list with over 100 headphones. Denon D7200 and D9200 are both on same level C and commented as "Generally weird and wonky tuning that can also get rather harsh at times."
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

Now it's on the list - so it exists😆
Yes, I wanted to comment this. A lot of members of this thread said that this HPs are trully balanced (even @Wishmaker, when he tried both, preferred the Denon's over the Focal Clear, and I though that he said he found the Denon's more balanced).

If Crinacle was only looking at measurements (looking for true balanced cans, like the Clears), why the Denon is on level C?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,581 of 4,412
Yes, I wanted to comment this. A lot of members of this thread said that this HPs are trully balanced (even @Wishmaker, when he tried both, preferred the Denon's over the Focal Clear, and I though that he said he found the Denon's more balanced).

If Crinacle was only looking at measurements (looking for true balanced cans, like the Clears), why the Denon is on level C?
Don't try to figure it out.

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #1,584 of 4,412
Would really be interesting what the reason for the ranking is and to get more information than this short statement - even if it is "don't like Denon or can't start a hype train with auch a brand."
I am saying it doesn't deserve the time. His ranking is one man's opinion, just like my reviews, nothing more.

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,585 of 4,412
I'm actually torn on the whole cable debate. Half of the stuff I read and see say that audiophile cables are nothing but snake oil. The other half literally swear they alter the sound signature of a headphone. One guy did a blind test where he had a bunch of audiophiles listen to headphones on varying cables (one being a re-purposed coat hanger, another being a run-of-the mill cable, and the other a true audiophile cable), and when asked which sound they preferred, the coat hangar cable actually won about 30% of the time, while very few selected the actual audiophile cable. Of course, the participants didn't know which cable was being used, otherwise that would taint the results due to psychological expectations.

As they say, perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle? I can't imagine so many people would pay $300-$400 for a high quality cable if it was all BS, but at the same time, there's also quite a bit of objective evidence saying they don't really make a difference unless you're comparing them to really crappy cables. What's been everyone's experience with audiophile cables, especially for those of you that have the Denons and/or Fostex's?
From personal experiences I would be ready to testify that – especially with speaker and headphone cables – it is definitely possible to hear differences, even if some engineering books say that it would be impossible. I have also tested the direction of quality source cables and everyone in the room agreeing on which way the sound was better. Hard to explain why, but it is true.

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #1,586 of 4,412
I'm actually torn on the whole cable debate. Half of the stuff I read and see say that audiophile cables are nothing but snake oil. The other half literally swear they alter the sound signature of a headphone. One guy did a blind test where he had a bunch of audiophiles listen to headphones on varying cables (one being a re-purposed coat hanger, another being a run-of-the mill cable, and the other a true audiophile cable), and when asked which sound they preferred, the coat hangar cable actually won about 30% of the time, while very few selected the actual audiophile cable. Of course, the participants didn't know which cable was being used, otherwise that would taint the results due to psychological expectations.

As they say, perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle? I can't imagine so many people would pay $300-$400 for a high quality cable if it was all BS, but at the same time, there's also quite a bit of objective evidence saying they don't really make a difference unless you're comparing them to really crappy cables. What's been everyone's experience with audiophile cables, especially for those of you that have the Denons and/or Fostex's?
From my experience I can say that with D7200 I was a long time on the search for a better cable than the stock one. I wasn't a cable believer, but each cable I tested with D7200 sounded a bit thin against the stock cable. Ended in building my own pure silver cable, which I now use for D9200. So I believe that cables matters.

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #1,587 of 4,412
From personal experiences I would be ready to testify that – especially with speaker and headphone cables – it is definitely possible to hear differences, even if some engineering books say that it would be impossible. I have also tested the direction of quality source cables and everyone in the room agreeing on which way the sound was better. Hard to explain why, but it is true.
I will agree. IEM cables for me are more about comfort and ergonomics. HP cables do appear to have more of an effect. Whether it is composition of the cables not impedance, or both. GOOD speaker cables also make a difference. This is only my subjective opinion.

Oct 12, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #1,588 of 4,412
I will agree. IEM cables for me are more about comfort and ergonomics. HP cables do appear to have more of an effect. Whether it is composition of the cables not impedance, or both. GOOD speaker cables also make a difference. This is only my subjective opinion.
Could the IEM cable resistance caused by the BA drivers, that only DD drivers are sensitive regarding cables?

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #1,590 of 4,412
Crinacle updated his list with over 100 headphones. Denon D7200 and D9200 are both on same level C and commented as "Generally weird and wonky tuning that can also get rather harsh at times."
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

Now it's on the list - so it exists😆
Shocked he finds 9200 wonky. Harsh? Not here.

DX1000 on the other hand, I call that one oddly colored and almost wonky.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back