Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,547 of 4,427
What's a similar-sounding closed-back headphone to the d9200? Ideally ones with deeper ear cups? Priced $2000usd or less.

EDIT: I'm not driving these with an external dac and/or amp.

I'm on a search to get another pair of closed-back cans. Most recently I decided to jump into the $1000 - $2000usd price range, and first I've tried is these AH-d9200. I love the sound! However I must have big ears....... as they press against the insides, causing them to get pretty uncomfortable after a couple of hours. I've read about getting new pads (or modding), but it seems the best sound is staying with stock.

What are some other competitors to the 9200's that I could try?

So far I've identified Fostex th900 mk2, and Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti as possible contenders. Any others you guys might suggest?
Yes, the Fostex TH900 Mk2 has similar bass texture to the Denon; it has an elevated mid-bass punch, though, so you'll get greater impact all the way down to the lowest sub-bass frequencies. Unlike the Denon, however, the Fostex eschews any semblance of balance in its signature; it simply scoops out a chunk of its midrange. This results in a classic "v-shaped" sound, albeit one that serves as a seminal example within the TOTL headphone sphere. Both headphones utilise the famed bio-cellulose driver that was used in the original Denon AH-D7000 (courtesy of Fostex, of course) - these drivers produce some of the best-sounding bass presentations in the contemporary market.

However, don't expect the TH900 Mk2 to best the Denon in terms of technicalities. The latter is king in this aspect, and stands as one of the most supremely-detailed headphones in the closed-back side of the equation.

Oct 9, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #1,548 of 4,427
Yes, the Fostex TH900 Mk2 has similar bass texture to the Denon; it has an elevated mid-bass punch, though, so you'll get greater impact all the way down to the lowest sub-bass frequencies. Unlike the Denon, however, the Fostex eschews any semblance of balance in its signature; it simply scoops out a chunk of its midrange. This results in a classic "v-shaped" sound, albeit one that serves as a seminal example within the TOTL headphone sphere. Both headphones utilise the famed bio-cellulose driver that was used in the original Denon AH-D7000 (courtesy of Fostex, of course) - these drivers produce some of the best-sounding bass presentations in the contemporary market.

However, don't expect the TH900 Mk2 to best the Denon in terms of technicalities. The latter is king in this aspect, and stands as one of the most supremely-detailed headphones in the closed-back side of the equation.
The more I read this recommendations, the more I want them to arrive soon.! :)

Oct 9, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,550 of 4,427
Unlike the Denon, however, the Fostex eschews any semblance of balance in its signature; it simply scoops out a chunk of its midrange. This results in a classic "v-shaped" sound

I think you just talked me out of trying these. :) I really like the bright mids and highs of the d9200. Maybe "bright" isn't the word.... so choose whatever words describe the sound signature of the d9200 and that's what I'd love to find - only in something that has deeper ear cups.

I'm sorry if I'm mucking up this thread. If there's another place to put comparisons, please let me know. I'm new here.

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,551 of 4,427
I think you just talked me out of trying these. :) I really like the bright mids and highs of the d9200. Maybe "bright" isn't the word.... so choose whatever words describe the sound signature of the d9200 and that's what I'd love to find - only in something that has deeper ear cups.

I'm sorry if I'm mucking up this thread. If there's another place to put comparisons, please let me know. I'm new here.

Earlier in this thread, I had done a pretty detailed analysis of both headphones. I tried in multiple musical genres as well as gaming - the Denons don't justify their higher price over the TH900's. The sound signatures are very similar. If you EQ your TH900's right, you'll have an incredibly similar sound signature to the 9200's especially in the mid range and treble response. You can easily tame the treble and reduce that V-shape to be more in line. Even if you EQ the 9200's also, the TH900 will win out in terms of bass power (less punchy than 9200 but you -feel- it more with the 900's), soundstage and even imaging (I was trying out surround sound in FPS games, and the TH900 was more accurate in positioning than the Denon's were, especially when people were behind me).

Again, both headphones are very good - so you can't go wrong with either one, and I can easily see why people might prefer one over the other. My personal preference is the TH900 though :) I also think the wood and the appearance are much nicer :)

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,552 of 4,427
Earlier in this thread, I had done a pretty detailed analysis of both headphones. I tried in multiple musical genres as well as gaming - the Denons don't justify their higher price over the TH900's. The sound signatures are very similar. If you EQ your TH900's right, you'll have an incredibly similar sound signature to the 9200's especially in the mid range and treble response. You can easily tame the treble and reduce that V-shape to be more in line. Even if you EQ the 9200's also, the TH900 will win out in terms of bass power (less punchy than 9200 but you -feel- it more with the 900's), soundstage and even imaging (I was trying out surround sound in FPS games, and the TH900 was more accurate in positioning than the Denon's were, especially when people were behind me).

Again, both headphones are very good - so you can't go wrong with either one, and I can easily see why people might prefer one over the other. My personal preference is the TH900 though :) I also think the wood and the appearance are much nicer :)
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Fostex a hell of a lot, too. In fact, it remains my favorite headphone for EDM. I've been listening to dance music all my life, and my current music catalog comprises approximately 3/4 EDM, and the rest, a mixture of 80s Pop, 80s Rock, and J-Pop. Thus, I've been on a perpetual hunt for IEMs and headphones that bring the greatest sense of engagement and energy to my genre-of-choice.

With that said, the Denon is a better headphone in the overall sense. It bests the Fostex in resolution and clarity, and in the tonality aspect, creates a more natural presentation for your music.

I use both cans a lot within my current rotation, but the TH900 Mk2 is a headphone that is reserved exclusively for EDM. The Denon, however, is a maestro at multiple genres - whilst its bass presence is a little shy of the Fostex in sheer impact and slam, it plays well with myriad genres of music.

By the way, the AH-D9200 and the TH900 Mk2 share the same MSRP - $1,599. :)

1602272291655.png

1602272411351.png

Oct 9, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,553 of 4,427
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Fostex a hell of a lot, too. In fact, it remains my favorite headphone for EDM. I've been listening to dance music all my life, and my current music catalog comprises approximately 3/4 EDM, and the rest, a mixture of 80s Pop, 80s Rock, and J-Pop. Thus, I've been on a perpetual hunt for IEMs and headphones that bring the greatest sense of engagement and energy to my genre-of-choice.

With that said, the Denon is a better headphone in the overall sense. It bests the Fostex in resolution and clarity, and in the tonality aspect, creates a more natural presentation for your music.

I use both cans a lot within my current rotation, but the TH900 Mk2 is a headphone that is reserved exclusively for EDM. The Denon, however, is a maestro at multiple genres - whilst its bass presence is a little shy of the Fostex in sheer impact and slam, it plays well with myriad genres of music.

By the way, the AH-D9200 and the TH900 Mk2 share the same MSRP - $1,599. :)

1602272291655.png
1602272411351.png

I snagged it new for cheaper :)

Oct 10, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,554 of 4,427
I have the TH900 first version, and have to EQ it pretty drastically to make it enjoyable for my tastes. But yeah, it does have some virtues, and those are hard to beat. What's new with the TH900.2? (But since this is a Denon thread-- the 9200 is great :) )

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #1,555 of 4,427
D9200 is technically superior and better built. Th900 has larger stage due to the large pad room and that's about it. Th900 has an annoying peak at 6k, and it's not easy to get bass impact due to large pad room. You get subs more than impact.

I tried various amps with TH900 and it was finiky with amping, and only one tyoe of amp providing enough bass quantity in the large pads. D9200 pushes bass out much effortlessly even with portable amps.

D9200 is bettee built in every way. Th900 they spent a lot time painting the cup, and that seems like a big waste of time/resources.

The resolution of th900 avg at best.

Out of the two without question I'd reach for the d9200. I know I get most out of the tracks with the d9200.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,556 of 4,427
D9200 is technically superior and better built. Th900 has larger stage due to the large pad room and that's about it. Th900 has an annoying peak at 6k, and it's not easy to get bass impact due to large pad room. You get subs more than impact.

I tried various amps with TH900 and it was finiky with amping, and only one tyoe of amp providing enough bass quantity in the large pads. D9200 pushes bass out much effortlessly even with portable amps.

D9200 is bettee built in every way. Th900 they spent a lot time painting the cup, and that seems like a big waste of time/resources.

The resolution of th900 avg at best.

Out of the two without question I'd reach for the d9200. I know I get most out of the tracks with the d9200.

Not sure what amps you were using, but as far as I know, only the TH909 is inflexible with amps. The TH900 ran perfectly even on my 5 year old Sony mp3 player, and I tried it with both it and the 9200. No issues for either one.

Again, it's all subjective, but you can't go wrong with either headphone in my opinion.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #1,557 of 4,427
I have the TH900 first version, and have to EQ it pretty drastically to make it enjoyable for my tastes. But yeah, it does have some virtues, and those are hard to beat. What's new with the TH900.2? (But since this is a Denon thread-- the 9200 is great :) )

The main difference is that the mk2 has detachable cables

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,558 of 4,427
Not sure what amps you were using, but as far as I know, only the TH909 is inflexible with amps. The TH900 ran perfectly even on my 5 year old Sony mp3 player, and I tried it with both it and the 9200. No issues for either one.

Again, it's all subjective, but you can't go wrong with either headphone in my opinion.
You say mp3 player? That can't be right. I know for a fact portable players have weaknesses when it comes to drivability, and TH900 one of the more difficult ones particularly with solid-state.

I suspect that you haven't heard it to full potential then.

Believe me, I've driven with enough variety of amps.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #1,559 of 4,427
You say mp3 player? That can't be right. I know for a fact portable players have weaknesses when it comes to drivability, and TH900 one of the more difficult ones particularly with solid-state.

I had absolutely no issue with both the TH900 and the 9200 on my mp3 player. If you want, here's the mp3 player I used: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-w...deo-mp3-player-silver/2891301.p?skuId=2891301

If you look at a bunch of other reviews on both headphones, people love them because they're actually very easy to drive. Even the finnicky TH909 worked fine not just on my mp3 player, but also on a portable XDuoo amp/dac running on battery power.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #1,560 of 4,427
I had absolutely no issue with both the TH900 and the 9200 on my mp3 player. If you want, here's the mp3 player I used: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-w...deo-mp3-player-silver/2891301.p?skuId=2891301

If you look at a bunch of other reviews on both headphones, people love them because they're actually very easy to drive. Even the finnicky TH909 worked fine not just on my mp3 player, but also on a portable XDuoo amp/dac running on battery power.
That's your experience not mine. I wouldn't get the same output out of any amp with TH900. The bass was lacking umph for my taste when I tried even more powerful solid-states than portable. On the other hand, it was obvious D9200 was easy to drive. The pad room has a lot to do with this. Less room there is, you get stronger bass response like I've repeated many times above. But the caveat with reducing the sound stage. Sound stage is all about room around the ears.

If you are fine with your TH900 with mp3 player, it's all you know. If were to choose between the two which I would be the better response from driving out of mp3 player. I would go with the D9200 easily.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back