Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #766 of 4,412
Could someone please tell me the width of the stock 3.5mm connectors at the headphone end, I bought another cable from cosmic cables but made
the mistake of not specifying that it was for the Denons and received the connectors for the focal instead which are wider, Ian at cosmic has very kindly
offered to change them for me if I send it back but I also want to order some more parts to make my own cable but I'm away at the moment and don't
have access to the stock cable, your help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Does this help?
image.jpg

Dec 29, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #768 of 4,412
Thinking about moving from ah-d7000 to the ah-d9200. Will this be a definite upgrade or a sidegrade? I've been reading almost universal glowing praise for the 9200 and I'm very interested. Also looking at the lcd2c and possibly zmf phones. I really just want more of the same but better. If the treble sounds a little more lively I wouldn't mind since I like metal and lots of other music.

Dec 29, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #769 of 4,412
Thinking about moving from ah-d7000 to the ah-d9200. Will this be a definite upgrade or a sidegrade? I've been reading almost universal glowing praise for the 9200 and I'm very interested. Also looking at the lcd2c and possibly zmf phones. I really just want more of the same but better. If the treble sounds a little more lively I wouldn't mind since I like metal and lots of other music.

I don’t have the D7000 on hand, but from memory, I definitely wouldn’t call in a direct upgrade. D7000 is a fun/musically tuned headphones; extra low end and a bit or sparkle. D9200 basically sounds like an HD800 in its tuning - slight variation, but it’s that sort of reference sound.
I’d need both to say if it’s an upgrade from a technical standpoint (I’d hope so for Denon), but for metal I’d probably take D7000.
Audeze would provide a different sound, richer, more controlled, but also less clarity/detail, less energy (unless you crank it way too loud) - so audeze would add definite new type of sound to your arsenal, which some people enjoy for metal (I’ve had all audeze headphones and only kind of liked the LCD-X for metal).
ZMF I don’t know, but bio cellulose drivers seem to be a good bet for metal.

hope that helps.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #770 of 4,412
any more impressions with top hi end audio gear? a true test.

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #771 of 4,412
I don’t have the D7000 on hand, but from memory, I definitely wouldn’t call in a direct upgrade. D7000 is a fun/musically tuned headphones; extra low end and a bit or sparkle. D9200 basically sounds like an HD800 in its tuning - slight variation, but it’s that sort of reference sound.
I’d need both to say if it’s an upgrade from a technical standpoint (I’d hope so for Denon), but for metal I’d probably take D7000.
Audeze would provide a different sound, richer, more controlled, but also less clarity/detail, less energy (unless you crank it way too loud) - so audeze would add definite new type of sound to your arsenal, which some people enjoy for metal (I’ve had all audeze headphones and only kind of liked the LCD-X for metal).
ZMF I don’t know, but bio cellulose drivers seem to be a good bet for metal.

hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I shouldn't have said metal because I like different things and really just want an all rounder that does everything well. the 9200 doesn't have to have exactly as much bass as long as it's still sufficiently powerful. I just don't want them to sound bad with anything. The youtube video below and comments from this thread and on the web have led me to think that the bass is very good on the 9200 but more controlled. Also that the treble is more extended and detailed which I'm not against as long as it's not unbalanced or uncomfortable. The d7000 sounds pretty great with almost everything but sometimes the liquid quality isn't quite raw or sharp enough for distorted crunchy guitar from certain types of rock music. I'm trying to find treble that goes as far as it can without being too much combined with strong tight bass for the visceral feel. Hope that made some kind of sense.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #772 of 4,412
So much hype. lol

I hope it's not tonally flawed like JVC DX1000. The accessories looking nothing special. The headphone looks rather typical Denon, not really standing out. Can it be a great performer that can be easily driven by a DAP? I've never experienced any headphone that performs from portable gear.

What's all the sources and amps you all tried with this thing, and worked best? Any difference between desktop amps and DAPs?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #773 of 4,412
So much hype. lol

I hope it's not tonally flawed like JVC DX1000. The accessories looking nothing special. The headphone looks rather typical Denon, not really standing out. Can it be a great performer that can be easily driven by a DAP? Never heard of that in the past.

What's all the sources and amps you all tried with this thing, and worked best?
My experience with the 9200 has been great. Everything sounds great it scales with power.

Dec 29, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #774 of 4,412
So much hype. lol

I hope it's not tonally flawed like JVC DX1000. The accessories looking nothing special. The headphone looks rather typical Denon, not really standing out. Can it be a great performer that can be easily driven by a DAP? I've never experienced any headphone that performs from portable gear.

What's all the sources and amps you all tried with this thing, and worked best? Any difference between desktop amps and DAPs?

I wouldn't say this headphone get a lot of hype. This thread is not that active and the D9200 is not new cans. Have you bought it or do you intend to?

They are easy to drive and can be driven very well from most quality daps. I would say that a warm source is more important than a lot of power. They are not warm headphones, I would call them relatively bright but maybe a correct term would be "reference". I mostly use them with my N6ii but the DX155/DX158 also drive them very well.

Dec 29, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #775 of 4,412
I wouldn't say this headphone get a lot of hype. This thread is not that active and the D9200 is not new cans. Have you bought it or do you intend to?

They are easy to drive and can be driven very well from most quality daps. I would say that a warm source is more important than a lot of power. They are not warm headphones, I would call them relatively bright but maybe a correct term would be "reference". I mostly use them with my N6ii but the DX155/DX158 also drive them very well.
Yeah, I would say it's a bit under the radar than a hype-fest. I looked into it because somebody told me about it. If it wasn't for that, I would pass it off as another Denon, although honestly, I've not experienced a Denon before. My only experience is Fostex TH-X00 Ebony. I wonder how it fares with TOTL closed-backs?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #776 of 4,412
I found a new open box set on ebay for a good price. Should be here in a few days. Fingers crossed. No returns allowed but if I don't like em I'll just sell em and keep the 7000's. If I love both I'll keep both.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #777 of 4,412
Thanks for the reply. I shouldn't have said metal because I like different things and really just want an all rounder that does everything well. the 9200 doesn't have to have exactly as much bass as long as it's still sufficiently powerful. I just don't want them to sound bad with anything. The youtube video below and comments from this thread and on the web have led me to think that the bass is very good on the 9200 but more controlled. Also that the treble is more extended and detailed which I'm not against as long as it's not unbalanced or uncomfortable. The d7000 sounds pretty great with almost everything but sometimes the liquid quality isn't quite raw or sharp enough for distorted crunchy guitar from certain types of rock music. I'm trying to find treble that goes as far as it can without being too much combined with strong tight bass for the visceral feel. Hope that made some kind of sense.

I most certainly would not call the bass of the 9200 strong, by any measure. Directly comparing to the HD800, it only has marginally more bass, but not notably. Not in the way that a fostex TH600, 6XX or 900 has. What you describe is similar to what I myself tend to look for, and the 9200 fits the same role as HD800 or Beyer T1 did for me: very neutral, clear, controlled and detailed, albeit closed, at the expense of some sound staging.
The D9200 is very much a jack of all trades, master of none, to me. It sounds good and clear with everything; but it won't punch with the same heft/volume that the 7000 or fostex will, with electronic music, and wont have the same expansive clarity that the HD800 does with classical. But it also won't miss a beat, you'll hear everything, and it does have decent punch, due to its control, just not the quantity of bass that the fostex based models like the D7000 had.

So generally I'd say if you're looking for a closed back headphone which is 'reference quality' this is probably the best on the market at the moment, with the only notable competitors being the Focal (stupendously pricey) and the Ether C (a bit soft/less dynamic sounding, and hard to drive).

Dec 29, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #778 of 4,412
So much hype. lol

Its more or less dead neutral in the same sense as german headphones tend to be, so I certainly wouldn't call it flawed.

I've driven them with an iPhone, Dragonfly Cobalt, AK240, Questyle CMA800R and some other portable amps, and its driven perfectly fine by the portable sources; not really anything to be gained from bigger amps, other than if they're better quality. I'd generally say, if you have a Dragonfly or something equivalent, you should be good.

Dec 29, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #779 of 4,412
I most certainly would not call the bass of the 9200 strong, by any measure. Directly comparing to the HD800, it only has marginally more bass, but not notably. Not in the way that a fostex TH600, 6XX or 900 has. What you describe is similar to what I myself tend to look for, and the 9200 fits the same role as HD800 or Beyer T1 did for me: very neutral, clear, controlled and detailed, albeit closed, at the expense of some sound staging.
The D9200 is very much a jack of all trades, master of none, to me. It sounds good and clear with everything; but it won't punch with the same heft/volume that the 7000 or fostex will, with electronic music, and wont have the same expansive clarity that the HD800 does with classical. But it also won't miss a beat, you'll hear everything, and it does have decent punch, due to its control, just not the quantity of bass that the fostex based models like the D7000 had.

So generally I'd say if you're looking for a closed back headphone which is 'reference quality' this is probably the best on the market at the moment, with the only notable competitors being the Focal (stupendously pricey) and the Ether C (a bit soft/less dynamic sounding, and hard to drive).
Thank you for the information. I don't necessarily need a basshead can. I just can't stand when the bass is weak. I have 2 tower speakers and a sub that I have tuned to 50hz with moderate volume for the purpose of creating 100% of the sound that exists, nothing more and nothing less. This is what I want in a headphone as well. I just want it to sound RIGHT.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back