Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #436 of 4,391
I had both of those and sold them. The 2C's are good. They have less of that upper mid/lower treble dip than the XC's have. I would've kept the XC's if I could've gotten pass that whole in the sound. The XC's beat the 2C's in detail retrieval, imaging and clarity. The D7200's don't have that planar bass. The bass is much more linear and reference sounding will still digging deep. If the treble is better on the D9200's I would go that route. The Denon's are more balanced sounding to my ears. I'm not sure what sound signature you're looking for but there are some good options out there.

I have the Focal Clears and I’m happy with those as my detail retrieval, but yearning for something with more warmth and bass.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #439 of 4,391
What you are looking for is the Focal Stellia. The 9200 is not a warm sounding headphone, its more balanced/neutral/bright. But don't listen to the Stellia if you don't intend to buy it.
What does that mean ? For me the Stellia had a horrible bass , narrow sound stage. I wouldn't pay over 500 usd for it.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #440 of 4,391
That’s my problem. My eyes and ears want Stellia but my brain wants under $1600. How is bass on 9200?
Bass hits hard and deep when the track gives it.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #441 of 4,391
What does that mean ? For me the Stellia had a horrible bass , narrow sound stage. I wouldn't pay over 500 usd for it.

The Stellia is not that bad :) The Stellia is warmer than the 9200 maybe that's the reason why you don't like it. But agree it's not worth 3000 usd/euro the same goes for Meze Empyrean by the way.

Bass hits hard and deep when the track gives it.

Agree quality bass. It took me some days to really appreciate it. It has less bass quantity than I expected but its hits very deep with excellent texture. No doubt the 9200 is growing on me the more I listen to them.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #442 of 4,391
The Stellia is not that bad :) The Stellia is warmer than the 9200 maybe that's the reason why you don't like it. But agree it's not worth 3000 usd/euro the same goes for Meze Empyrean by the way.

Agree quality bass. It took me some days to really appreciate it. It has less bass quantity than I expected but its hits very deep with excellent texture. No doubt the 9200 is growing on me the more I listen to them.
Stellia has more mid bass , not layered bass , yeah and less treble.

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #444 of 4,391
Aug 30, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #445 of 4,391

Sounds like you shouldn't pay over 5 usd for it! :fearful:

I hear that a lot from people who haven't heard the Stellia.

OTOH, it could just be different sound signature preferences for each of you. From the looks of his signature, it appears that jmills might occasionally like himself some quality bass/sub-bass...just a little! :wink:

Aug 31, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #447 of 4,391
It seems like the 'lower' end Focal line is the way to go for a warmer sound.

Yeah, you know? I've owned both the Utopia and the entry level Spirit Classic at the same time and-- preferred the Spirit Classic! Sure, it was nowhere near as transparent and detailed as the Utopia, but it was warmer, smoother, and yet still punchy and engaging. Always found it more musical.

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #448 of 4,391
Hi everyone, I just bought the D9200 and after a 24-hour break-in I plugged it in my Yulong DA10, and to my utter disappointment I found it so underwhelming. The sound was quite feeble and at the same time harsh. If I turned up volume a bit, the sound became fuller but the treble harshness was becoming unbearable. In comparison to the D9200, my CA Solaris is a real beast, everything sounds way more powerful, punchy, clear and dimensional with the guitars being almost tangible! I'm blaming the amp (which is also new) to be honest, but I haven't tried balanced connection yet, although I'm not putting a lot of hope into that. Neither have I tried the D9200 with my DX208 as I don't have a balanced cable. What do you guys think about it? I'm starting to think that the full-size HP era is coming to end (if haven't already). Thanks!
**Edit:
I thinking the plugs are tight and maybe wasn't inserted all in to get that abnormal sound.**

I think you should return your unit right away for replacement, because it should not sound weak or harsh, unless it was a returned unit(!) with blown drivers...
as it would still work, but not have low end, and sound very much as you described.

Edit*
I would be careful to plug this unit into a powerful amp or speaker amp, as it is so sensitive it can get damage.
Denon WILL NOT honor any warranty from non-authorized sellers! (like ebay) so you will be out of luck and no emailing even for paying full cost of parts will be honored.
They won't do it.
VERY BAD customer service as most buyers are unaware of thier strong policy.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #449 of 4,391
I think you should return your unit right away for replacement, because it should not sound weak or harsh, unless it was a returned unit(!) with blown drivers...
as it would still work, but not have low end, and sound very much as you described.
Oh my God, I hope this is not the case with me! My unit arrived sealed (but I'm not sure right now). I think it becomes better as burning-in is going on, harshenss reduced, and bass seems to be there, but still not to the point I'm used to with CA Solaris and DX208.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #450 of 4,391
Oh my God, I hope this is not the case with me! My unit arrived sealed (but I'm not sure right now). I think it becomes better as burning-in is going on, harshenss reduced, and bass seems to be there, but still not to the point I'm used to with CA Solaris and DX208.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your 9200. I haven't heard CA Solaris but from reading reviews and impressions the 9200 seems to have a very different signature compared to the Solaris. You need to give it time and get used to the signature.

And maybe the DX208 is not the best source for the 9200. It's very reference and neutral sounding. 9200 benefits with a warmer source, but maybe this is more personal preferences :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back