Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #1,336 of 4,391
I agree - the D9200 is one of the best closed-back headphones on the contemporary market.

There are some legitimate challengers, though - the Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT, the Fostex TH900 Mk2, the Sony MDR-Z1R, the ZMF Vérité Closed.

Nevertheless, it is a great time to be a closed-back headphone audiophile. The number of choices available today are a lot better than, say, half a decade ago.
I'd be curious about the Audio Technica, haven't come across those, but I don't really count the rest for my personal application various reasons: the Fostex aren't actually closed (they don't isolate, and are quite audible to people around you) and too floppy/loose to move around, the Z1R has its followers, but has some fundamentally crippling flaws technically speaking, hence its lukewarm/mixed reception, and the ZMF's, as nice as they may be, are built much to clunky for my tastes - I like to be able to move around a bit....
I suspect its partially just that a standard has been set to my eyes, in terms of build, comfort and performance, and most thing just fail to meet it.

But that being said, you are right, its generally speaking always the best time to be alive - unless we do something horrendously wrong. :p

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #1,337 of 4,391
I had my cans on for 5 hours today whilst working.
For the first time they got a bit sweaty but the Denon cloth does the job and cleans them up nicely.

I'd be curious about the Audio Technica, haven't come across those, but I don't really count the rest for my personal application various reasons: the Fostex aren't actually closed (they don't isolate, and are quite audible to people around you) and too floppy/loose to move around, the Z1R has its followers, but has some fundamentally crippling flaws technically speaking, hence its lukewarm/mixed reception, and the ZMF's, as nice as they may be, are built much to clunky for my tastes - I like to be able to move around a bit....
I suspect its partially just that a standard has been set to my eyes, in terms of build, comfort and performance, and most thing just fail to meet it.

But that being said, you are right, its generally speaking always the best time to be alive - unless we do something horrendously wrong. :p

The Audio Technica are close to 2k in my area ...

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,338 of 4,391

The TH900 is bad at isolation; I am in complete agreement here.

The Z1R is definitely one of the more prominent choices when the topic of discussion concerns headphones that are, essentially, an acquired taste. They are not universally appealing, that's for sure. Hell, I might even add that the audiophiles who appreciate its signature may only comprise a minority of the general populace.

The ZMF headphones, like its Audeze counterparts, are bulky, heavy, and are definitely home-based solutions. As we speak, I am listening to my LCD-XC, and all 700g of its weight is bearing down on my neck. Ouch.

As for the AWKT... let's just say that it is a touch more detailed than the D9200, but also less engaging on a musical front. They don't have as much attack or energy, but they render detail on a very high level. Although the closed-back flagship in the Audio-Technica stable is both articulate and transparent, it also has a touch of warmth to push the AWKT away from sterility. It's a very good closed-back - one of the best, IMO.

With that said, the D9200 is the option that better fits my tastes. That bass presentation is simply incredible. If I'm lucky, I might soon be the new owner of this headphone. :)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #1,339 of 4,391
The TH900 is bad at isolation; I am in complete agreement here.

The Z1R is definitely one of the more prominent choices when the topic of discussion concerns headphones that are, essentially, an acquired taste. They are not universally appealing, that's for sure. Hell, I might even add that the audiophiles who appreciate its signature may only comprise a minority of the general populace.

The ZMF headphones, like its Audeze counterparts, are bulky, heavy, and are definitely home-based solutions. As we speak, I am listening to my LCD-XC, and all 700g of its weight is bearing down on my neck. Ouch.

As for the AWKT... let's just say that it is a touch more detailed than the D9200, but also less engaging on a musical front. They don't have as much attack or energy, but they render detail on a very high level. Although the closed-back flagship in the Audio-Technica stable is both articulate and transparent, it also has a touch of warmth to push the AWKT away from sterility. It's a very good closed-back - one of the best, IMO.

With that said, the D9200 is the option that better fits my tastes. That bass presentation is simply incredible. If I'm lucky, I might soon be the new owner of this headphone. :)
I have been using 6 th900s on the go in busy loud Hong Kong for 4 years.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,340 of 4,391
I have been using 6 th900s on the go in busy loud Hong Kong for 4 years.

I agree. The 9200's isolation isn't really that much better than the TH900. I was actually surprised too, because I would have thought a full closed back would be significantly better in terms of isolation. Perhaps it's the bamboo?

Once you wear the TH900's, people near you don't really hear the sound coming out of your cans unless you have the volume up really high, and definitely blocks out external noise to an extent. Very impressive for a semi-closed back. I had the same concern, but again, they sound like they leak a lot only if you're not wearing them.

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #1,341 of 4,391
I agree. The 9200's isolation isn't really that much better than the TH900. I was actually surprised too, because I would have thought a full closed back would be significantly better in terms of isolation. Perhaps it's the bamboo?

Once you wear the TH900's, people near you don't really hear the sound coming out of your cans unless you have the volume up really high, and definitely blocks out external noise to an extent. Very impressive for a semi-closed back. I had the same concern, but again, they sound like they leak a lot only if you're not wearing them.
Im not saying the th900 isolates well but they are comfy and easy to put on and off. I boost the bass a little more to push out the exterior noise. Here in trains , buses and ferrys its noisy and up to now nobody seemed to turn their heads with my music.

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #1,342 of 4,391
I've just gotten my hands on a D9200! :)

First impressions - as good as ever! Bass done well, with a midrange that is lush and evocative, and brilliant yet controlled highs.

Can't wait to listen more!

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #1,343 of 4,391
I've just gotten my hands on a D9200! :)

First impressions - as good as ever! Bass done well, with a midrange that is lush and evocative, and brilliant yet controlled highs.

Can't wait to listen more!

Enjoy! Burn them in and increase the volume on songs like this!

Attachments

• AHD-9200.JPG
    AHD-9200.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 0
Jul 19, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #1,344 of 4,391
Enjoy! Burn them in and increase the volume on songs like this!
I'm running through a playlist of my favorite dance tracks as we speak. I know this is going to be an all-star headphone in my closed-back collection.

I wonder why they aren't more popular? This thread struggles to pick up traction, even after 2 years.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,345 of 4,391
Has anyone replaced their stock pads? It appears that Denon does not sell or offer this particular item; this strikes me as odd, as replacement pads, stock or not, are almost always in demand. All I can find are these ones from misodiko.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #1,346 of 4,391
Has anyone replaced their stock pads? It appears that Denon does not sell or offer this particular item; this strikes me as odd, as replacement pads, stock or not, are almost always in demand. All I can find are these ones from misodiko.

Thanks in advance.

Denon confirmed that they do offer replacement pads if needed. Just order them with your local dealer

Jul 19, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #1,347 of 4,391
Denon confirmed that they do offer replacement pads if needed. Just order them with your local dealer
Thank you. I will be contacting them shortly.:)

Ideally, I'd like to have access to replacement pads; they are usually the first to go!

Jul 19, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,348 of 4,391
Th900 pads are rounder wider.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,349 of 4,391
Just tested some chinese copies of the denon speakers used in AH-D series(53mm)...they sound good, super bass that goes low, low.The highs are a bit bright out the box.
they seem to need amplification, despite low impedance.
Is there a thread for these headphone speakers made in china? they have a variety of them...nanofiber, titanium, composite etc., for sale on aliexpress.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0
Jul 25, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #1,350 of 4,391
Warning: This is comparing apples to oranges, but... D9200 has been my favourite headphone for the past 7 months or so. Great sound, light and comfortable.
So, today I wanted to compare it to my old Hifiman HE-6, which I seem to use very seldom as it needs a strong amp and it is heavy and not very comfortable to wear.
I first listened to Willie Nelson's classic Red Headed Stranger from 1975 on re-issue vinyl from 2019 on D9200, using Schiit Lyr as the headphone amp. Then tried the same setup on HE-6. I must admit that Willie Nelson's vocals sound MUCH BETTER on Hifiman HE-6. I have Leben R28C tube phono and pre-amp stage and Lyr also has tube sound, so the vocal sound on a planar is just amazing. Not to say that D9200 is bad. It is a great closed HP, but no match.

OK, next some contemporary stuff: New Fiona Apple vinyl Fetch The Bolt Cutters. D920 has fantastic bass and sound stage, m but the female vocals sound harsh. On HE-6 her vocals are better, but the instruments sound thinner and dull. Hmm....

Let's try the new Bob Dylan vinyl. His vocals are very close and thick on HE-6, his band has more dynamics on D9200.

I have been listening lately to a lot of Blue Note Tone Poet series re-issue vinyls. Duke Ellington's Money Jungle felt not right on D9200, but worked well on HE-6.

Stanley Turrentine's Hustlin' was recorded in 1964 by Rudy van Gelder and the Tone Poet re-issue sounds lush on HE-6. On D9200 the sound stage is even wider and there are more details. This LP sounds great on both.

So, for the best living room headphone experience one has to have more than one choice, depending on the type of the music. I guess most of the people on head-fi forums have figured that out already:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back