Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #1,322 of 4,391
Managed to get a new pair for $900 ... Hifishark is your friend ...

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #1,323 of 4,391
It's worth it definitely
Yes, I love the D9200. I've auditioned it on a few occasions, and it's pretty much top-notch, in my book.

I am mulling a choice between the D9200 and the Audio-Technica AWKT. Both are excellent options, but the addictive bass on the Denon is alluring.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #1,324 of 4,391
Argh. Just as I was about to pull the trigger on a D9200, I was told that the next shipment has been delayed, and stocks will only arrive at the end of August, at the earliest.

I am considering to get the D9200 as well. You checked with connect-it? i saw that it was listed on lazada, denon official store.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #1,325 of 4,391
Haven't been here in a while, Covid and stuff...

Anyways, a recommendation for the new owners: get a balanced, hybrid cable.
You think you love the 9200's, then just wait until you listen to them with a good non-ootb cable...

The difference in imaging and soundstage is worth the investment... In the meantime, enjoy!

Got an example of such cable ?

Jul 15, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #1,326 of 4,391
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #1,327 of 4,391
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,329 of 4,391
You sir have won the internet today! I should let myself out because I was looking for all the wrong adapters.

I shall get that hybrid cable it seems 🤪!

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #1,330 of 4,391
Yes. ^^
It's way better to use a 2.5 balanced cable with a se-adapter than the other way around. :)
Btw, I use FAW cables also. Great, solid cables with reasonable pricing.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #1,331 of 4,391
I am considering to get the D9200 as well. You checked with connect-it? i saw that it was listed on lazada, denon official store.
Yeah, I did. They've confirmed that, at present, Denon does not have stock of the D9200. The approximate shipping date is the end of August.

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,332 of 4,391
Thanks a lot.
I will put them on my list. Regarding the connectors.

1. My Topping has a 2.5 mm Balanced entry
2. My NAD does not.

Truth be told I did not see any adapter from 6.3 or 3.5mm to 2.5mm for my Topping.
How would I proceed in this case?

Or just mail Matt from Forza .. He also does custom made anyway. It's just that he lists the most frequently occurring options on his site ..

Jul 15, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,333 of 4,391
I'm still wondering when anyone else will take the closed high end market seriously... Because to date I don't think there is really anything competing with the 9200 honestly: The Focal Stellia ridiculously expensive, is brighter, and not notably better from what I heard on a demo. The Ether C Flow is more tame sounding, and requires a much more beefy amp to sound as good, so it can't as easily be used portably.
The 9200 can be run off a phone or Dragonfly without issue, sounds spectacular, is comfortable, and can be used portably very easily...

But I'd personally like something with a slightly less intrusive upper midrange; something with somewhat warmer/beefier sound... Not much, just a bit - So its not so punishing to turn up the volume, and so fx. electronica has more heft and drums have more kick.

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #1,335 of 4,391
I'm still wondering when anyone else will take the closed high end market seriously... Because to date I don't think there is really anything competing with the 9200 honestly: The Focal Stellia ridiculously expensive, is brighter, and not notably better from what I heard on a demo. The Ether C Flow is more tame sounding, and requires a much more beefy amp to sound as good, so it can't as easily be used portably.
The 9200 can be run off a phone or Dragonfly without issue, sounds spectacular, is comfortable, and can be used portably very easily...

But I'd personally like something with a slightly less intrusive upper midrange; something with somewhat warmer/beefier sound... Not much, just a bit - So its not so punishing to turn up the volume, and so fx. electronica has more heft and drums have more kick.
I agree - the D9200 is one of the best closed-back headphones on the contemporary market.

There are some legitimate challengers, though - the Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT, the Fostex TH900 Mk2, the Sony MDR-Z1R, the ZMF Vérité Closed.

Nevertheless, it is a great time to be a closed-back headphone audiophile. The number of choices available today are a lot better than, say, half a decade ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back