Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #3,856 of 4,391
How true!

Well, maybe content is stretching it. But I still find your choice of words hard to argue with. So, well done :p

Coming from the King of TH900s, this is really saying something!
Ha , but I sold the D8000 Pro. Its still better than the TH900 , but the TH900 is more fun , cheaper and I can use it on the go.

Feb 14, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #3,857 of 4,391
Have there been any model revisions on the Denon AH-D9200? As you can see in my signature, I have one for sale for a great price in amazing condition.

However, some of the questions I get on it are kind of weird - like what year is the model etc. The user mentioned that some headphones change a lot between years (like Focals and some Audeze models) but I don’t think there are any differences between a year 1 Denon AH-D9200 and a 2023 Denon AH-D9200 other than whether they are within a warranty period.

Can someone confirm there haven’t been any model revisions?

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #3,859 of 4,391
I’ve just ordered the D9200 and very excited to try them. It’s my first step up over the €1k price tag for a headphone - my recent appreciation for the Audio-Technica WP900 and JVC HA-SW01 led me to the D9200, keeping up the wood theme!
Congratulations!
Just beware the rabbit hole beyond… the D9200 still provides good value for money, which might not be true going any further. And I’m not only talking about diminishing returns here…

Feb 17, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #3,860 of 4,391
Congratulations!
Just beware the rabbit hole beyond… the D9200 still provides good value for money, which might not be true going any further. And I’m not only talking about diminishing returns here…

Would you say the 9200 is at that tipping point? I’ve certainly been there and up to the top with IEMs, ultimately scaling back to a point where I’m comfortable with the cost to enjoyment ratio!

Feb 17, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #3,861 of 4,391
Would you say the 9200 is at that tipping point? I’ve certainly been there and up to the top with IEMs, ultimately scaling back to a point where I’m comfortable with the cost to enjoyment ratio!
For me it definitely is, yes. I had several (much) more expensive sets in the past, an experience that led me to introducing a limit of 1k€. My only step beyond that since then is the D9200, which I really like. Nowadays I’m much more focused on getting musical enjoyment out of my headphones than the last ounce of correctness or resolution. Others may differ, but for me this focus gives me so much more joy/money spent that I can’t see myself returning to the high end, which seems to only be defined by price these days anyhow.

Feb 17, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #3,862 of 4,391
For me it definitely is, yes. I had several (much) more expensive sets in the past, an experience that led me to introducing a limit of 1k€. My only step beyond that since then is the D9200, which I really like. Nowadays I’m much more focused on getting musical enjoyment out of my headphones than the last ounce of correctness or resolution. Others may differ, but for me this focus gives me so much more joy/money spent that I can’t see myself returning to the high end, which seems to only be defined by price these days anyhow.

Yes exactly the same as I’ve had with top tier IEMs, ultimately questioning the music enjoyment I’m getting versus the scrutiny of technical capabilities etc - which led me back to a middle ground where I’m now trying to stay, and just enjoy my music again… diminishing returns so evident I would say beyond €2k in IEMs, a €4k set does not give me twice the enjoyment.

I’m confident D9200 will be to my liking and without a need to start investing in desktop gear etc. Hopefully I can be more disciplined than I’ve been with IEMs so far!

Feb 17, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #3,863 of 4,391
They might very well be. I'm selling my D9200 today (comfort issues, headband is so uncomfortable for me, that I constantly get headache after wearing it longer than half an hour), but before I part my ways with it, I wanted to give a quick listen. I switched directly from Stellia and wow ... it's impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if someone preferred it over Stellia - larger soundstage, imagining on the same level, only a tiny bit less detailed and it looks just as fancy as Stellia. If people claim Stellia is worth the money, then D9200 is bargain.

I haven't heard all the fancy closed-backs, so I can't tell for sure, but from what I've heard, D9200 might be the tipping point of closed-backs. It is for sure somewhere in the area from where you only get tiny bit of improvements for a disproportionate amount of money.

Feb 17, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #3,864 of 4,391
Yes exactly the same as I’ve had with top tier IEMs, ultimately questioning the music enjoyment I’m getting versus the scrutiny of technical capabilities etc - which led me back to a middle ground where I’m now trying to stay, and just enjoy my music again… diminishing returns so evident I would say beyond €2k in IEMs, a €4k set does not give me twice the enjoyment.

I’m confident D9200 will be to my liking and without a need to start investing in desktop gear etc. Hopefully I can be more disciplined than I’ve been with IEMs so far!
Ha, but you're a legend. I have the same issue though where reviewing headphones has ruined a lot of my favorite songs for me. I try and take the time to just chill and enjoy listening for fun sometimes.

Feb 17, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #3,865 of 4,391
I'm also selling my D9200s - currently listed on eBay UK. I really didn't think I'd ever sell them, as I have enjoyed them so much more than other headphones. I'm taking a bit of a break from headphones, and am going to settle on some openbacks, mostly to listen to whilest working.

Feb 17, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #3,866 of 4,391
I'm also selling my D9200s - currently listed on eBay UK. I really didn't think I'd ever sell them, as I have enjoyed them so much more than other headphones. I'm taking a bit of a break from headphones, and am going to settle on some openbacks, mostly to listen to whilest working.
Guess Home Office as open backs don’t seem to be a good choice for busy office environments?

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #3,867 of 4,391
Hi, it's my first post on this thread.. I got an open box Denon D9200 about a six weeks ago and recently upgraded the cables to Arctic Magnus. I am an audiophile, who had been using Campfire Solaris IEMs and also has a nice, mostly vintage rig in my basement. While the Magnus cables are not quite broken in fully, I do want to say that I am really happy with the Denon 9200. Really easy to listen to. Comfortable enough. Nice balance across the board, and with the Magnus, a lot of detail and texture has opened up. It's a nice option when I cannot listen on my rig. Really nice cans for the price.

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #3,868 of 4,391
New kid in the Block here -I 've been looking to upgrade my Focal Elegia and I found a really good price for a used set of D9200 . So far I like the fact that they are really comfortable. They definitely need some eq. I am not an audiophile but I listen to a lot of music / recording metal guitars / and do some mixing. I am trying to find some good EQ settings. I've tried the 2 Oratory versions and they differ a lot! I am using the SoundIDReference but they haven't included a calibrated version yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #3,869 of 4,391
New kid in the Block here -I 've been looking to upgrade my Focal Elegia and I found a really good price for a used set of D9200 . So far I like the fact that they are really comfortable. They definitely need some eq. I am not an audiophile but I listen to a lot of music / recording metal guitars / and do some mixing. I am trying to find some good EQ settings. I've tried the 2 Oratory versions and they differ a lot! I am using the SoundIDReference but they haven't included a calibrated version yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
This is what I'm using. Apologies for it being text based. That's how SoundSource makes me enter it.

Preamp: -6 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 80 Hz Gain .5 dB Q 1.41
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 600 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 2
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2500 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1.41
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 2
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4370 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 3
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 5390 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 3
Filter 9: ON HS Fc 7000 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1.41

• HP (High Pass Filter)
  • LP (Low Pass Filter)
  • PK (Peaking / Bell)
  • LS (Low Shelf)
  • HS (High Shelf)

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #3,870 of 4,391
This is what I'm using. Apologies for it being text based. That's how SoundSource makes me enter it.

Preamp: -6 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 80 Hz Gain .5 dB Q 1.41
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 600 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 2
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2500 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1.41
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 2
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4370 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 3
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 5390 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 3
Filter 9: ON HS Fc 7000 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1.41

• HP (High Pass Filter)
  • LP (Low Pass Filter)
  • PK (Peaking / Bell)
  • LS (Low Shelf)
  • HS (High Shelf)
Much appreciated! I will try these right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back