Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
May 6, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #346 of 4,391
Point being, the D9200 scales like crazy, IMO.

Completely agree with the sentiment that Denon’s reference series headphones have an impressive capacity to scale because I’ve experienced that first hand when my cans are connected to my ifi Pro iDSD DAC and ifi Pro iCAN headphone amp. I’ve owned both the D7000 and D7200; a love affair that has lasted 12 years. However, truth be told, the D7200 was blown out of the water by the Sony Z1R, particularly when it came to handling base, where the Sony was simply astounding.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #347 of 4,391
Hmmm...some like Denon, others Sony, others Beyer/Senn/Grado.

Some like dynamic, others planar, etc.

It's entirely possible that one set of flagship cans can suck for one person and be the end-game for another given hearing differences/preferences/etc.

Me? I like little plastic on-ear Senns :wink:

May 6, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #348 of 4,391
Anybody taken a listen to the new Audio Technica ATH-AP2000Ti? Having listened to most of the usual suspects, the choices for my next CB have come down to the 9200 or, perhaps, the 2000Ti...

image.png

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #349 of 4,391
May 6, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #350 of 4,391
Glad they got away from those weird "wings" headband................thanks for the link.

May 7, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #351 of 4,391
Ap2000ti... wasn’t that impressive anymore after I tried the LCD3F.
I get the same old coloured mids, bright and resolving highs. I have owned quite a number of ATH to identify that signature. The sound is not for everyone. As of late ATH has been improving on the bass on the Art series (900Z onwards). However different on the AP2000ti is how the treble is much tamer, clearer and enjoyable now. No harsh peaks as compared to old flagships. I would say bass is fairly linear on the AP2000ti as compared to the more enjoyable AD9200 (the bass creates a massive soundstage)

May 7, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #352 of 4,391
Anybody taken a listen to the new Audio Technica ATH-AP2000Ti? Having listened to most of the usual suspects, the choices for my next CB have come down to the 9200 or, perhaps, the 2000Ti...

Wayyy too bright imo. Typical ATH sound with lean bass and midrange emphasis creating a bright overall signature. Also the build quality is pretty disappointing for such price point. It just feels very cheap, especially headband and hinges. But it's very light on the other hand. But then again I prefer bassier and darker headphones with a good mid-bass punch, and these are the opposite pretty much, so no surprise I don't like them.

May 7, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #353 of 4,391
Wayyy too bright imo. Typical ATH sound with lean bass and midrange emphasis creating a bright overall signature. Also the build quality is pretty disappointing for such price point. It just feels very cheap, especially headband and hinges. But it's very light on the other hand. But then again I prefer bassier and darker headphones with a good mid-bass punch, and these are the opposite pretty much, so no surprise I don't like them.

I find the treble energy bright, but they aren't necessary harsh or sibilant at all. In fact out of brightest bunch I own (A2000x, A1000Z) the treble was very resolving and detailed. However my worst experience was on the AD2000, the upper mids pierced my ears. I felt ATH is quite niche never really upped their game against newer competitors. I think price, design and performance wise the AP2000ti lacks behind.

I guess you're one of the campers of darker sounding cans, which I think the Denons highlights really well. Darkest being the AH-D granddad (AH-D7000s)
AH-D9200 really brings something different to the table which I really appreciate, the realism of mids and more engagement in the highs, balanced the darkness in a sense.
Against the 7200s the difference was really minimal (less than 20%), I would say 9200 is audibly more refined and less messy in the upper ranges. Both reminded me of the EMU Teaks I heard quite some time ago.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #356 of 4,391
Bismillah

Can anyone please comment and tell me if these benefit from being balanced? I love them by the way! Thanks.
By balance you mean more mw. So yes.

May 15, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #357 of 4,391
I guess you're one of the campers of darker sounding cans, which I think the Denons highlights really well. Darkest being the AH-D granddad (AH-D7000s)

Objectiverly speaking, the 7000 is not dark, nor is it the darkest of the older Denons. It is discernibly a bit bright, though obviously not as much as many. I'm interested in the 7200 and 9200 and hope they are not brighter or ideally even as bright, though I also hope they don't error too much in the other direction. As a recording engineer, I need reliable accuracy. My 7000 came gratifyingly closest to that of the ones I've auditioned, though my MassDrop version is not far though I always wondered if it was a touch too dark.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #359 of 4,391
Objectiverly speaking, the 7000 is not dark, nor is it the darkest of the older Denons. It is discernibly a bit bright, though obviously not as much as many. I'm interested in the 7200 and 9200 and hope they are not brighter or ideally even as bright, though I also hope they don't error too much in the other direction. As a recording engineer, I need reliable accuracy. My 7000 came gratifyingly closest to that of the ones I've auditioned, though my MassDrop version is not far though I always wondered if it was a touch too dark.
recording-studio.jpg

May 16, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #360 of 4,391

Users who are viewing this thread

Back