Denon AH-D7000
Dec 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #5,821 of 7,464
Similar bass and treble in the sense that both are fully present at both ends. Its weird because I have read people describing the Denons as Midrange-recessed and I never agreed with those opinions. But next to the HD 800, I begin to see what others are saying in this regard. The HD 800 manages to sound more forward in the midrange without losing clarity -something I've never heard in any other headphone, and it makes the Denon sound thin in the middle by comparison.

The last time I listened to the HD 800 (over a year ago), I found it somewhat cold and analytical, overly bright and almost thin sounding. Maybe its my Carver receiver, but this last audition the HD 800 seemed fuller and warmer without being too full and warm (planar sounding). Bass maybe not as "full" as stock D7000's, but very comparable to my Lawton Audio 7000's - which are tighter and better controlled than stock.

I have been having hearing issues lately (15+ years of tinnitus and hearing loss) and I have become overly sensitive to sibilance and treble spikes. During this most recent period, I have been listening to my Denons less and less, and I think its because of the treble. The HD 800's, while possessing the sparkle I like, didn't seem to trigger my treble sensitivity.

This may not make sense to anyone but me (especially considering my hearing issues), and it might just be my evolving/changing taste or preference, but this is the best way I can articulate what I'm experiencing.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #5,822 of 7,464
the hd 800s are quite neutral generally, so any warmth perceived would be from your source/amp. for me, they sound way difference on the WA2 than on the WA6-SE, they're still hd 800s, but with a slight difference in presentation. 

as for the d7000, for me, sometimes its bright, sometimes its not, it tends to be most noticeable at higher volumes.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #5,823 of 7,464
Yes, I would generally agree with you. I don't listen on tube gear, just my receiver.

I think I will start reading through the HD 800 threads. I understand there have been some issues/revisions since it was first released. Maybe I can gain some insight and make a wiser decision.

Thanks for your input Dub!

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #5,825 of 7,464
Its not a matter of saving up. My headphone fetish is not, strictly speaking, limited by funds. Although I'm not wealthy, I make a living that allows me to purchase/own pretty much anything I want within reason. No, for me it's more about the desire to spend money on something redundant and the perceived value in doing so.

For me, headphones are no different than loudspeakers. I dont have three pairs of speakers in my living room for different types of music/recordings... :wink:

If I decide to get the HD800's, they will be my home use headphones (just as the Denons are now). The Denons will therefore be redundant so there will be no reason for me to cling to them.

Thats just how I am.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #5,826 of 7,464
Ok with me,  Suit yourself.  It was just a suggestion.  Because the Denons are discontinued I thought you maybe wanted to hang on to them.  While at the same time enjoy a different flavor from time to time.  I see that's not the case.  

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #5,827 of 7,464
Don't get me wrong preproman. I asked for other opinions to help me decide and I appreciate your input - I know many people like to have multiple pairs of headphones around, its just not my thing.

And I did mention a few posts up that I am taking into consideration that the Denons are discontinued and I risk suffering from "sellers remourse" if I let them go.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #5,828 of 7,464
While I am not a one headphone type of person, I did part with my D7000's. I never listened to them that much and didn't really see the need to keep them when someone offered me a pretty good offer on them. To this day there is still times when I miss having them around. 
frown.gif
 I would think long and hard before you sell them since they aren't easy to replace, and the HD800 aren't going anywhere. 

Just some mumblings from someone who wishes they didn't sell them.......lol

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #5,829 of 7,464
The rationalization that having a pair of both open and closed headphones to suit different listening situations regardless of genre can be made here.

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #5,830 of 7,464
Give me your D7000, and get the HD800. You solve your problem and mine. :D

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #5,831 of 7,464
The rationalization that having a pair of both open and closed headphones to suit different listening situations regardless of genre can be made here.

Lol - if you spend ten minutes reading these forums you can come up myriad rationalizations which will allow to keep the D7Ks, buy the HD800s and of course they each need their own amp ... etc.

It the best feature of this place. :D

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #5,832 of 7,464
Quote:
Lol - if you spend ten minutes reading these forums you can come up myriad rationalizations which will allow to keep the D7Ks, buy the HD800s and of course they each need their own amp ... etc.
It the best feature of this place.
biggrin.gif

Well Pudu,

If they both have their own amp.  They should also have their own DAC.  Two rigs..
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #5,833 of 7,464
Quote:
Quote:
It the best feature of this place.
biggrin.gif

Well Pudu,

If they both have their own amp.  They should also have their own DAC.  Two rigs..
biggrin.gif

That's how we do it - one source, one USBridge, two DACs, two amps, two pairs of cans...
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #5,834 of 7,464
Quote:
Don't get me wrong preproman. I asked for other opinions to help me decide and I appreciate your input - I know many people like to have multiple pairs of headphones around, its just not my thing.

And I did mention a few posts up that I am taking into consideration that the Denons are discontinued and I risk suffering from "sellers remourse" if I let them go.

I think the best approach is to buy the HD800s before selling the D7000s. It's really hard to know how much you're going to like a headphone until you have some serious time to spend with it. If the HD800s are all you feel the need, then you can sell the D7000s without any buyer's remorse.

I agree with others that it's very handy to have both an open and closed (or semi-closed) headphone at your disposal. Sometimes you don't want to disturb others, or want some isolation (however less than ideal the D7000s' isolation might be).

Here are some points about my own experience with the HD800s and D7000s:

1. I find that the HD800s on a good recording are the best sounding of all my headphones, clear and natural. But on a few recordings, I find them unlistenable, with buzzsaw-like treble. I know some people find the D7000s' treble a tad harsh, but it doesn't bother me. So far the HD800s are more troublesome in that regard, although like I said, just on a few recordings. As a point of comparison, my SRH940s are brighter and harsher than both on far more recordings, and I have to EQ down the treble on those just to generally listen to them.
  2. The bass on the HD800s is beautiful but not strong. So if I feel like thumping along to rap or electronic or some deep John Bonham drums, the D7000s are infinitely better. The D7000s are more fun.
  3. The D7000s are more euphonic in the midrange. There's a rounded, warm sweetness that I have difficulty describing but I find addictive. In contrast, the HD800s sound effortless and detailed, but don't have that sweetness.
  4. The HD800s have a more open sound and better soundstage. Not a surprise, I'm sure!
  5. The HD800s are incredibly comfortable to wear. The D7000s are above average for comfort, but the HD800s are considerably better. The cups are huge, the clamping force is low, and the weight is distributed so nicely around the ear. The D7000s in contrast are a little uneven in how they distribute the weight, pressing a bit more in front of my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back