Denon AH-D7000
Aug 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #5,492 of 7,457
Quote:
An issue with the headband is a new one, what do you think is causing it? Is it loose enough?

Most definitely loose enough. Lack of padding in the headband along with maybe the way my head is shaped? I've also only been using A-Ts for months now, and they put no pressure on top (wing system). It did not feel as bad when I wore them for hours while laying down last night. But it could be BECAUSE I was laying down. :p

I was hoping for more bass impact compared to the W5000. It has more, but I guess I was looking for more bass heavy for trance. My Klipsch s4i has the mid bass I am looking for but is pretty mediocre otherwise. 

Basically, I wanted something more exaggerated and not accurate at all in the bass while still being refined otherwise. The Denon D7000 looked like it might fit the bill, but it's actually closer to neutral than I expected. Still, I may keep it over the W5000 because it better contrasts the AD2000. To me, the W5000 and AD2000 are fairly similar in sound signature. Just one is open and one is closed. The Denon isn't so mid centric.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #5,493 of 7,457
I found a pair of these in a local shop and there on-sale for $575. They are brand new in box. The unfortunate thing is they dont have a demo pair of them to try out. They said this is the last pair that they have and they wont get anymore in. So I am tempted. 

My current (and only) headphone is the Sennheiser HD650. While I love them there are times when I would like to have a headphone thats a little more in your face or what ever you want to call it. I mainly listen to rock, classic rock and metal (mainly black and doom). 

Do you guys think the D7000 would compliment the HD650 and be a little more in your face for some of the faster paced music I listen to?

Thanks for any advice

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #5,494 of 7,457
Quote:
I found a pair of these in a local shop and there on-sale for $575. They are brand new in box. The unfortunate thing is they dont have a demo pair of them to try out. They said this is the last pair that they have and they wont get anymore in. So I am tempted. 

My current (and only) headphone is the Sennheiser HD650. While I love them there are times when I would like to have a headphone thats a little more in your face or what ever you want to call it. I mainly listen to rock, classic rock and metal (mainly black and doom). 

Do you guys think the D7000 would compliment the HD650 and be a little more in your face for some of the faster paced music I listen to?

Thanks for any advice

I think if you go for the D7000's, you will be happy :) Believe it or not, the D7000's are lush and easy-going like the HD650's, but also lively and dynamic. As others have described it before, they sound like a full-range speaker system on your ears :) Honestly, I hardly ever listen to the HD650's anymore since I got the Denons.

Has anyone here compared the new top of the line with the D7000's? I wonder if they are an improvement. Certainly cosmetically different. (I prefer the D7000 look).

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #5,495 of 7,457
Thanks Arcamera, really appreciate the response. 

The guy at the store recommended Solid State for a amp for them. I only have Tube Amps, anyone have any experience with them and tubes? I plan on getting a nice Solid State at some point but it isnt the cards right now. I figure I better snatch the headphones up first before its to late to get them. I just hope they dont sound horrible out of a Tube Amp till I get a Solid State later. 

I really think I am going to pick them up on my way to work tomorrow. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #5,496 of 7,457
If you can spare the cash, I say: Go for it. They are excellent headphones. That's a good price too.

They are surprisingly flexible with a variety of amplification. A good solid state will make them very powerful, ballsy, upfront. I have a Burson amp, and the combo can be intense. On the other hand, they can work well with tubes too-- I do most of my listening of the D7000's with a Woo WA6 tube amp, and the sound is very fine. A little more laid back, but I think it strikes an excellent balance-- you can listen to this combo for hours on end, and have no fatigue. It's sweet.

Enjoy them! Let us know what you think...

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #5,497 of 7,457
Thanks again Arcamera.

I just called the place and placed them on hold till tomorrow morning. I cant wait to get them. If they look anything like the pictures I have seen they should be a thing of beauty too!!

Nice to hear they work well with tubes too. I currently just have the Little Dot MKII (Voshkod 6zh1p-ev / Russian 6h6p-i tubes). The Woo WA6 or WA6SE is one of the future amps I am considering so its good to hear they work well with those too.

Thanks again for the response.

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #5,498 of 7,457
Quote:
Thanks Arcamera, really appreciate the response. 

The guy at the store recommended Solid State for a amp for them. I only have Tube Amps, anyone have any experience with them and tubes? I plan on getting a nice Solid State at some point but it isnt the cards right now. I figure I better snatch the headphones up first before its to late to get them. I just hope they dont sound horrible out of a Tube Amp till I get a Solid State later. 

I really think I am going to pick them up on my way to work tomorrow. 

This may be on interest...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/619181/list-opinion-amp-recommendations-for-denon-headphones

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #5,499 of 7,457
Grace m903 works well enough for me and should do well with low impedance/high sensitivity phones in general. But I can't say whether it works better or worse than any other amp. And that poll is hilarious. So true.

The m903 is the only amp I still own and only amp I will be using in the foreseeable future. 
biggrin.gif
  I'm just tired of messing with amps in general. The only possibility of me getting another amp is: A. because a Grace m904 is being released or B. I decide I want to get the HD800 again and need an amp for high impedance cans.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #5,501 of 7,457
Quote:

Thanks for the link. I haven't laughed so hard all week!

I have listened to and tested 6 different solid state headamps with a variety of specifications with my D7000's and heard absolutely no difference between them. From a Peachtree Nova with 30 ohm output impedance to the Violectric V200 with less than 1 ohm output impedance. Also tested were the Schiit Asgard, Objective2, Violectric V90, and the headphone jack of a vintage 80's integrated receiver of unknown output impedance.

The Denons are simply outstanding headphones that are seemingly immune to "impedance mismatch" frequency response shifts.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #5,503 of 7,457

Thanks for any advice

I have both those headphones, and find they complement each other well. The D7000s are more lively and fast, with rich bass and lush mids and a treble sparkle. The HD650s are more laidback and smooth and mellow.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #5,504 of 7,457
Hi anyone know I could find a pair of the denon ah d7000? Does that shop have any more?

Thanks
Frank

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #5,505 of 7,457

Users who are viewing this thread

Back